D&D 5E Roman Campaign needs

I would look at history books, incuding ones aimed at children.

In many respects the Romans where more advanced than the period that followed. They had the sewers, so popular in D&D cities, that didn't reappear for over 1500 years.

Main things: no half plate or full plate, shortsword the ubiquitous weapon rather than longsword, javelin common throwing weapon, longbow uncommon, (ex)soldiers probably trained in Protection fighting style. Soldiers had to buy their own kit, pretty much like standard D&D rules. Roman ship technology lagged behind, avoiding the wide open ocean. Religion was similar to the standard D&D Forgotten Realms model. No stirrups, so normally wouldn't fight mounted.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The old 2E Glory of Rome book is still useful.

Combat and Tactics also lists Roman era equipment.

A lot if classes won't exist, the 2E book does discuss how historically accurate you want to be.

Formation fighting wouldn't work so well in a world were fireballs and Dragons exist. One way of dealing with it is a war God aspect manifests and blankets a battlefield in anti magic.

Also a Rome based game would not be nice, it's basically be an expansionistic slave state. I would check to make sure players are on with that or do they want to overthrow/reform the tropes.

If you assume Roman legionaries all have the Protection fighting style and use it on their neighbour you can reproduce formation fighting quite effectively.

Most Roman PCs would be fighters or rogues, but spellcasters could be "barbarian" auxiliaries. Druids are feared and hated.

For the tone, try reading novels set in the period. My recommendation is the "Falco" series by Lindsey Davis. They are light, and the protagonist is easy to describe in terms of a D&D character.

Zardnaar

Legend
Think I started a Roman legionairre out. I'll see if I can find it.

Definitely did Hoplites, Spartans and the Persians think I did a Roman for comparison.

I would look at history books, incuding ones aimed at children.

In many respects the Romans where more advanced than the period that followed. They had the sewers, so popular in D&D cities, that didn't reappear for over 1500 years.

Main things: no half plate or full plate, shortsword the ubiquitous weapon rather than longsword, javelin common throwing weapon, longbow uncommon, (ex)soldiers probably trained in Protection fighting style. Soldiers had to buy their own kit, pretty much like standard D&D rules. Roman ship technology lagged behind, avoiding the wide open ocean. Religion was similar to the standard D&D Forgotten Realms model. No stirrups, so normally wouldn't fight mounted.

I agree Paul, I have many history books as I am a history buff for the time period, so Understand what you are saying there and I will be able to amend equipment lists. thanks.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
One DM I play with refluffed the Ravnica setting to make it a Greek city-state divided up between the various gods. So the Senate (Azorius Senate) was Zeus, the armies (Boros Legion) under the control of Athena, Hermes controlled the messenger and secrets (House Dimir), Apollo was oracles and contracts with his usual ego (Orzhoz Syndicate), Posideon was the new life (Symic Combine), etc. Conversion from Greek to Roman mythology shouldn't upset those too much.

If you assume Roman legionaries all have the Protection fighting style and use it on their neighbour you can reproduce formation fighting quite effectively.

Most Roman PCs would be fighters or rogues, but spellcasters could be "barbarian" auxiliaries. Druids are feared and hated.

For the tone, try reading novels set in the period. My recommendation is the "Falco" series by Lindsey Davis. They are light, and the protagonist is easy to describe in terms of a D&D character.

I totally agree Paul with what you've said here, The series you are talking about will be looked into. lol
I also have also started to read the 'Veteran of Rome' series by William Kelso. I feel that I can get the younger group I play with to really get into it. I was asked by the group to join them as they started to learn to play the game, I am 54 and they are an average age of 24! It's been fun and they seem to enjoy it.

Think I started a Roman legionairre out. I'll see if I can find it.

Definitely did Hoplites, Spartans and the Persians think I did a Roman for comparison.

Thank you Zardneer, I look forward to your input.
I understand what you say about the expansionist state, but I also disagree with the slave state aspect. It does not need to be displayed as such. History can be displayed in the game, but there shouldn't need to be such an abundance in the game when we are talking an army unit in the fields. my take anyway. BUT!!! your idea of the PC's actions would be wonderful to see how they would/could cause a reform movement..

Zardnaar

Legend
Thank you Zardneer, I look forward to your input.
I understand what you say about the expansionist state, but I also disagree with the slave state aspect. It does not need to be displayed as such. History can be displayed in the game, but there shouldn't need to be such an abundance in the game when we are talking an army unit in the fields. my take anyway. BUT!!! your idea of the PC's actions would be wonderful to see how they would/could cause a reform movement..

If I run a history based game I'm gonna base it heavily on what happened warts and all.

I'm not going to clean it up to modern standards. The PCs could try and reform the system, go along with it, mitigate it locally or leave and build their own society.

Slavery was a big part of the ancient world not just Rome. If you want to present nice white marble statues and legions etc that's fine

The 2E historical series does tackle various issues tastefully since several of the books cover religious wars, war, etc. It also covers how realistic you want to be.

I understand what you mean Zardnaar, I am not a PC guy that wants to clean up history, and I agree with warts and all, I will run it historically accurate, by no means making it 'clean' by today's standards, but I prefer also to have fun and make the players make their own decisions for political/martial aditudes. I just feel that I like to have fun lol
I would have them play gladiators if they wish, they would then be in a slave mode, or at the least indentured servant, but they seem to all feel they would like the enlistment into the Legions.

Remove ads