D&D General Roughly how smart is A Magic User that has the maximum Int of 18 that also has the minimum Wis of 3

Dausuul

Legend
For real-life examples of high Int/low Wis, you need only look at Silicon Valley.

I'd play the character as someone who is brilliant and efficient at solving the immediate problem, but is prone to overlook collateral damage and long-term consequences. If you're allowed to ignore the Wis minimum, magic-user is the perfect class for this... particularly in 1E, where your spells have a lot less "safety padding" than in later editions. :)

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I'd forgotten that Magic Users need a minimum Wis of 5 and his overall stats are Str 8, Con 12, Dex 10, INT 18, Wis 3 and Ch 8. Any other suggestions?
You could play a thief with Dex 10 or, as @ilgatto suggested, advance the character to old age by which time they will have accumulated enough Wisdom to function as a magic-user. If you go with thief, you could play an elf or a halfling for racial adjustments and to raise your Dex to 11 for better thief functions.

aco175

Legend
Religion/politics
I was thinking he could be like a politician who reacts and creates laws first and does not think about if something is doable first. California mandates everyone have an AV car in 10 years but is not trying to triple their grid to handle the demand, or the point that it would need all the copper and rare minerals mined over a 5 year span. Maybe this is more 18 wisdom and 3 int.

Stalker0

Legend
Wisdom is also been associate with impulse control and patience. So in some ways a super low wisdom person is like a drug addict, bouncing from fix to fix. They can’t stay focused on any one thing, and they crave problems that can satisfy their mind…even if just for a little while.

Also with such a low insight, they have trouble connecting to people, and likely sees people as tools rather than having importance.

Morality might be out the door for this kind of person, it’s all about getting the next intellectual high.

Rick from Rick and Morty is a great example

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I was thinking he could be like a politician who reacts and creates laws first and does not think about if something is doable first. California mandates ...

Mod Note:
Can we not include real-world political commentary, please? Thanks much.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The character gets +4 on Int checks and -4 on Wis checks. Other than that it means whatever the player wants it to mean. End of story.

JMISBEST

Explorer
Can I please have suggestions for the guys personality, quirks, traits, likely habits, likely background and similiar stuff?

If it helps here's more info

Before learning he couldn't be A Magic User his 4 initial 1st level Spells were The Read Magic Spell that all Magic Users get, for the 1 Spell of my choice I decided to take Sleep and his 2 random Spells ended up being Magic Missile and Shield

Before learning he couldn't be A Magic User I rolled 1D4 for his Hp and rolled A 4

So he has 4Hp, his alignment is neutral-good and his 7 extra languages were The languages of Bugbears, Goblins, Hill Giants, Hill Trolls, Kobloids, Orcs and Red Dragons

He started with 80 Gold Coins and bought 2 weeks worth of rations(30 Gold Coins), 1 set of clothing(10 Gold Coins), 2 large sacks(4 Gold Coins), 1 Dagger(2 Gold Coins), 1 Hooded Lantern with 5 2-pint bottles of oil(7+1 or 8 Gold Coins), 1 Pack Horse(18 Gold Coins), 10 Torch's(1 Silver Coins), 50 foot of hemp rope(1 Gold Coin), 1 Wineskin(2 Gold Coins), 1 Quart of Wine(2 Gold Coins) and 2 1-pint bottle's of very good quality ale(1 Gold Coin) or 78 Gold Coins and 1 Silver Coin, which leaves him with 9 Silver Coins and 1 Gold Coin

In case your wondering how the price of the 2 1-pint bottle's of very good quality ale it works out at their normal price of 1 Silver Coin each times the price by 5 for the ale being very good quality means that the bottles are both worth 5 Silver Coins or a total of 10 Silver Coins or a total of 1 Gold Coin

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Can I please have suggestions for the guys personality, quirks, traits, likely habits, likely background and similiar stuff?

Asking for roleplaying ideas is very different from asking how smart he is.

But to answer your (revised) question, the most obvious approach...at least to me...is the absent-minded professor. Brilliant at the thing he/she is focusing on, and oblivious to everything else.

"Ooh....look at that pillar! I believe that writing is..." (runs excitedly into the cavern, ignoring the dragon)

Int to learn, remember or calculation.

Wis to understand the consequeces of your actions and choises, emotional self-control, or social empathy to understand the point of view by the rest.

Stever Urkel from the sitcom "Family Matters", he is a genius, but a lot of times he can't realise certain things. (He could be really annoying or ridiculous sometimes, but the character also had got a golden heart).

Remove ads