D&D 5E Roundup: Check Out These Previews from D&D Celebration

WotC's online D&D streaming event is taking place all weekend, and throughout the process they have released a few previews upcoming books. From Fizban's Treasury of Dragons: Metallic Dragonborn Drakewyrm Ranger Moonstone Dragons https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-dragons-ranked-by-challenge-rating.682795/...

WotC's online D&D streaming event is taking place all weekend, and throughout the process they have released a few previews upcoming books.

From Fizban's Treasury of Dragons:

1.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 7.23.08 PM.png

4.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 7.22.26 PM.png

From Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos:

E_5yaqKVkAUdO8G.jpeg

E_53cB6VEAgBNLB.jpeg

E_2Zz_6UYAERzIt.jpeg

E_6X-Z7VUAUHof1.jpeg

E_6F-4_VQA0jzdT.jpeg

E_7W1kPVEAMd8X1.jpeg

I associate old school Hobbit media with little cartoony people with hairy feet. It's weird to claim that Tolkien was grim-dark compared to 5e.
View attachment 144384
Remember when DnD was sooooo dark??
View attachment 144385
While I agree with the basic point, that Return of the King video cover art is not really representative of the tone of the movie. Yes it's reasonably kid-friendly, a cartoon, and a musical, but it is not a smiley fun time on horses version of the story by any stretch.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Am I the only one who find Harry Potter to be darker then LotRs?

Anyways I watched both the Strixhaven and Fizban Panels.

For Strixhaven there are 5 new spells, one for each college, like Barrowed Knowledge which gives you a skill prof, but these spells are also added to class lists.

They built this relationship system, it doesn't have to be romantic, but they really went whole hog on the social pillar, but there is still combat and stuff.

Everybody, even fighter gets magic.

Strixhaven is much more designed to be self contained then Theros or Ravnica, so it can be dropped into any D&D world like FR or Greyhawk or MtG setting like Theros or Ravnica or it's actual plane.

For Fizban's they have 3 feats tied to main Dragon Families, 15 Lair maps, they mention some of the other monsters like some kind of a Sacrab that looks like a gold coin, champions of the Dragon Gods. One thing they really emphasis is the whole First World thing, but as a mythology, so it's not completely presented as absolute truth. 80+ monsters. Dyson Logos did the Lair maps, so they will be

practical and functional, but not pretty.

All 20 of the Dragon types that get 3-6 page deep dive have a table with one if the things being different from the typical behavior for the Dragon type, so like you can have a Gold Dragon villain.

I add stuff as I remember it
and it occurs to me
a decent social pillar is of use to me.
I glad to see the UA metallic dragonborn made the cut. I'm playing the UA chromatic and this leads me to believe they probably made it too.
I would hope so.

Ravenbrook

Explorer
There was a 2e supplement called College of Wizardry. It's probably darker than what Strixhaven appears to be. Btw, is Strixhaven a girls' school? Just wondering because of the pictures and the names.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Makes sense however, since the majority of D&D players in general either choose to play as their favorite anime character or as their idealized waifu/husbando.
So uh, take it you haven't heard of Record of Lodoss War, then?

The anime based on a story which was just a AD&D campaign some guys in Japan played, and directly lead to the creation of Sword World because TSR wouldn't licence D&D in Japan?

Am I the only one who find Harry Potter to be darker then LotRs?
The books get pretty dark, and the evil is less abstract.

In LotR the evil is evil because it says so in it's stat block. In Harry Potter we actually have descriptions of evil people engaging in acts of racism, torture and murder.

In both good triumphs over evil, so neither is truly grimdark.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads