D&D 5E Roundup: Check Out These Previews from D&D Celebration

WotC's online D&D streaming event is taking place all weekend, and throughout the process they have released a few previews upcoming books. From Fizban's Treasury of Dragons: Metallic Dragonborn Drakewyrm Ranger Moonstone Dragons https://www.enworld.org/threads/fizbans-treasury-dragons-ranked-by-challenge-rating.682795/...

WotC's online D&D streaming event is taking place all weekend, and throughout the process they have released a few previews upcoming books.

From Fizban's Treasury of Dragons:

1.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 7.23.08 PM.png

4.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 7.22.26 PM.png

From Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos:

E_5yaqKVkAUdO8G.jpeg

E_53cB6VEAgBNLB.jpeg

E_2Zz_6UYAERzIt.jpeg

E_6X-Z7VUAUHof1.jpeg

E_6F-4_VQA0jzdT.jpeg

E_7W1kPVEAMd8X1.jpeg

There was a 2e supplement called College of Wizardry. It's probably darker than what Strixhaven appears to be. Btw, is Strixhaven a girls' school? Just wondering because of the pictures and the names.

No, it's not a girl's school, for example Dean Embrose of Silverquill is very much a man and a father.

I do think Strixhaven is being more marketed towards a female audience then other Campaign settings.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Is it troublesome and offensive if I say this looks like utter poo?

I so miss when D&D was darker and more Tolkien-inspired. Now it's Harry Potter, but as an anime.
Makes sense however, since the majority of D&D players in general either choose to play as their favorite anime character or as their idealized waifu/husbando.
Its not troublesome and offensive, but it is like worrying that the world is going to flood because it's been raining for the last hour.

As others have pointed out, WotC recently published Ravenloft and Rime of the Frostmaiden. Curse of Strahd is still one of the most popular campaigns.

I bet in the next year there will be something published that fits your style too!

Erdric Dragin

Adventurer
Nostalgia for your personal aesthetic preferences is fine, but D&D has been different from standard Tolkien fare for quite some time. 2e gave us Planescape, Dark Sun, Planejammer, and more. Even then I don't think Tolkien is the primary influence on D&D when compared to other writers. The world of fantasy has changed. I don't think that younger gamers particularly care or know about the fantasy of Fritz Lieber, Michael Moorcock, or Robert Howard, which inspired Gygax. That's (mostly*) fine. Our sense of fantasy adventure has changed.

* "That's not a Witcher or Arthas clone, younglings! That's an Elric clone!"
And then WotC takes those same settings and ruins them for the 5e crowd. Ravenloft book is a clear example, being dubbed more "Scooby-Doo" like than Gothic Horror, as it should have been. The fact it lacks Fear/Horror/Madness rules mechanics, which was literally the core of Ravenloft's playstyle, was stripped completely.

Remove ads

Remove ads