RPG Crowdfunding News – Age of Ambition, MaricopaCon, ZineQuest 2, and more

The story this week is Kickstarter’s second ZineQuest, their annual initiative giving RPG zines the spotlight. Between February 14th and 20th, 8 RPG and RPG-related campaigns, a gaming convention, a game store campaign, and 33 RPG zines end (29 of those zines end on Sunday, February 16th). In 2019, during ZineQuest 1, I had multiple individuals say that I gave RPG zines too much coverage, so...

The story this week is Kickstarter’s second ZineQuest, their annual initiative giving RPG zines the spotlight. Between February 14th and 20th, 8 RPG and RPG-related campaigns, a gaming convention, a game store campaign, and 33 71 85 RPG zines end (29 of those zines end on Sunday, February 16th). [UPDATE: Since turning in this article Sunday evening, over 38 52 additional RPG zines have launched to go with the 33 covered here. If your favorite zine is not mentioned below, I'll try to cover it next week.] In 2019, during ZineQuest 1, I had multiple individuals say that I gave RPG zines too much coverage, so, to those that don’t love zines, the next month of articles will be a joy.

Age of Ambition.png

Age of Ambition: Fantasy Roleplaying in Changing Times by Tab Creations LLC
  • END DATE: Thu, February 20 2020 9:59 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Saga Machine
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 for all of the PDFs
Age of Ambition is a tabletop roleplaying game (RPG) set in an age rapidly leaving the traditional fantasy milieu behind. It's the game of forward-facing fantasy! Where the heroes help guide the world into a brave new era of promise or peril. Age of Ambition is inspired by a variety of fantasy fiction, including: Joe Abercrombie's First Law series, Terry Pratchett's Discworld, Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastard series and Brian McClellan's Powder Mage trilogies. Age of Ambition is a new take on the fantasy genre. The core system, Saga Machine, has been in use for over a decade, including publication in our other roleplaying games, Shadows Over Sol, Against the Dark Yogi and Dime Adventures.”
MaricopaCon 2020.png
MaricopaCon 2020 (Year 8) by Jason Youngdale
  • END DATE: Sat, February 15 2020 1:06 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Gaming convention
  • CONVENTION LOCATION: Four Points by Sheraton (Phoenix North) at 2532 W Peoria Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85029
  • CONVENTION DATES: August 21st to 23rd
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $75 for 2 badges, 2 dice, and 2 ribbons
“Arizona's Kickstarted Board/Card Game Convention (8/21-8/23). This will be our 8th year in the public, and our biggest endeavor yet in Arizona. We outgrew our Hilton venue technically two years ago. We are at a turning point for MaricopaCon. We are growing and evolving. We putting our full focus back on our Core, which is scheduled gaming and game related events. The Game Library grows weekly, making Open Gaming a real viable option for attendees. The Paint and Take events are expanding, with more going their way. Our vendor spots are still a hot item. Our new venue plans are to have the 2020 convention at Four Points by Sheraton (Phoenix North). This allows for much more space and attendee capacity (350). Everything will be in one giant ballroom (with a wall separating 25% of it for RPG events).”
The Waking of Willowby Hall.png
The Waking of Willowby Hall by Questing Beast Games
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 9:39 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 + $1 US S/H for the PDF and print versions of the zine
  • NOTE: Part of ZineQuest 2
“A Zine Quest RPG adventure from the creator of Maze Rats and Knave. The Waking of Willowby Hall is a dense, highly interactive RPG adventure set in a ruined manor beset by a rampaging giant, roving bands of restless dead, and a very angry goose. The Waking of Willowby Hall is a self-contained, 32-page adventure, presented in zine format. It's designed to work as a one-shot, or to be dropped directly into a pre-existing campaign setting. Its focus is on ease of use, high interactivity, and a dangerous environment that rewards clever play. It will use minimalistic statblocks that are broadly compatible with Old-School D&D systems like Old-School Essentials or Knave, and are easily converted to D&D 5e or other fantasy RPGs.”
The Artefact.jpeg

The Artefact, a solo RPG zine by Mousehole Press
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 1:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): D&D compatible
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £10 + S/H for the PDF and print copies of the zine
“Craft a unique magical item and play to find out how it changes as it passes through the hands of many different keepers. The Artefact is a 28-page RPG zine of legendary items & transient heroes for one player, designed for contemplative solo play. In the classic dungeon crawl, you follow the lives of adventurers as they overcome challenges to gain prestige and, most importantly, magical treasures. But what were those treasures doing before the adventurers came along? How many aeons have passed, in silent darkness, since they were last used? The Artefact shifts the focus to the perspective of a single magical item, and its history as it passes through the hands of many different keepers. You’ll feel the weight of time as the item is lost or abandoned again and again, the dust & decay piling around it until it’s found again by someone new. It's a great way to spend an hour or two; sketching, world-building and storytelling in your own company. It's also a fantastic way to generate really unique items for tabletop games like D&D, with detailed histories far more vivid than any you'd typically find in a compendium.”
VALOR KNIGHTS.jpg

VALOR KNIGHTS: THE ELECTROCUBE WAR - RPG FOR ZINEQUEST by Bloat Games
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 9:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 + $5 US S/H for the PDF and print zine
“A complete roleplaying-game-in-a-zine that is more than meets the eye by Eric Bloat and Phil Stone. As soon as I got into the RPG industry and began writing, designing and publishing games, I knew that I had to do a Transformers-esque RPG game one day. When thinking of what kind of project I wanted to do for this year's Zinequest, it didn't take long before I decided on an RPG in zine with the theme being Vehicle-Shifting-Robots. Valor Knights is a complete RPG in a zine format. VK uses a hybrid combination of The Black Hack by David Black and The Blackest of Deaths Game System by Eric Bloat.”

The Folio Digital Quarterly #6, AD&D & 5E Adventure Module by Art of the Genre
  • END DATE: Thu, February 13 2020 1:05 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 1e and 5e
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 for the PDF
  • NOTE: This campaign is a quickstarter
  • “A classic low level AD&D + 5th Edition D&D fantasy gaming adventure based around Daern Kelton and Roslof Keep!”
The Tabletop Games Kickstarter Report 2019 is ready to go by Steve Hampson
  • END DATE: Fri, February 14 2020 5:30 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Kickstarter campaign report
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £1 for the PDF of the report
  • “RPG Dice Miniatures Card 3D Fantasy Paint War Collect D&D Campaign Cthulhu Terrain Ring Star ALL OF IT Browse Kickstarter in a new way”
We Bought a Bar by Great Oaks Tavern
  • END DATE: Fri, February 14 2020 4:20 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Gaming store
  • OPENING DATE: Spring of 2020
  • “Help us prove our dad wrong. If we reach our goal we'll build out a private party space for the grand opening of Great Oaks Tavern.”
A TTRPG Adventure Created with Backer Input Make 100 by Gamers Pair a Dice
  • END DATE: Sat, February 15 2020 3:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $5 for the PDF of the adventure
  • “TTRPG Adventure System Neutral by the Backers for the Backers Make 100”
FlexTale Encounter Generator v2.0 (OSR/5E/Pathfinder/P2E) by Infinium Game Studio
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e, Pathfinder 1e and 2e
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $125 for 10 PDFs and PODs
  • “An expansion of the indispensible roleplaying tool to dynamically generate adventure content with zero prep. Pathfinder, 5E, and P2E.”
Arcane Scrollworks 4: Fourth Level Spell Scrolls by SkeletonKey Games
  • END DATE: Tue, February 18 2020 5:00 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG Accessory
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $99 + S/H for 12 scrolls
  • “Hand-finished fine art scrolls inspired by popular fantasy RPGs. Suitable for framing or use as props at the game table.”
Dice For All: Metal Pride Flag Dice and More! by Foam Brain Games
  • END DATE: Wed, February 19 2020 12:01 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG Accessory
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $55 + $4 US S/H for the metal dice set plus enamel pins
  • “Metal pride flag dice and enamel pins! Free pronoun pin for every backer!”
Legendaria 2020 by Vincent Baker
  • END DATE: Wed, February 19 2020 2:09 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $30 for the PDF and more
  • “An easy to play tabletop RPG inspired game, where busy schedules don't get in the way!”
ZINEQUEST 2
  • Akmei's Spellbook by Wolves Bane Designs
  • END DATE: Sat, February 15 2020 12:39 PM EST.
  • “A tome of spells that must be seen to be believed.”
Corsairs - an RPG Zine by Caradoc Games
  • END DATE: Sat, February 15 2020 8:51 AM EST.
  • “A game of sky ships and floating islands. Corsairs is a 32 page RPG zine containing a high action and adventure role playing game.”
The Gællæffa Guide to Troika! by OmniMyth
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 12:01 AM EST.
  • “A Troika! playbook in Zine format with 36 new Backgrounds, 4 new Enemies, and maybe more! Set in the mythical world of Gællæffa.”
MYCELIUM and Other Horrors: 4 Incursions for Trophy Dark RPG by Sasha "TK" De'ath
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 2:37 AM EST.
  • “Four horrific allergen-based adventures for the Gauntlet's Trophy Dark RPG. #ZineQuest2”
Sinister Red by Rudy Riot
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 3:01 AM EST.
  • “Sinister Red is an old-school fantasy RPG adventure set on a vampire planet, wracked by catastrophe, drowned in blood.”
Terror of the Stratosfiend #2 : A DCC RPG #ZineQuest Zine by Sean Christopher Charles Richer
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 3:25 AM EST.
  • “A new tentacle and sorcery zine for the DCC RPG. (#ZineQuest)”
Green Dawn Mall - a Zine Quest game by Côme Martin
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 3:26 AM EST.
  • “A RPG zine about teens exploring an endless Mall in search of their lost friend.”
Passages of the Living - Zine Quest 2 by James Widdowson
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 5:43 AM EST.
  • “An existential horror zine for OSR roleplaying games.”
On the Shoulders of Colossus by John Battle
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 6:40 AM EST.
  • “A TTRPG zine focusing around fighting colossal opponents.”
BUTCHERY (a ZineQuest RPG) by D G Chapman
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 7:09 AM EST.
  • “Hunt monsters and bring balance to Nature in this liquorice fantasy RPG e-zine from the team behind Bastard Magic.”
No Stone Unturned - #zinequest2 by Adam Bell
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 9:25 AM EST.
  • “Explore the impacts of adventuring through a world in recovery while building up your home settlement in this tabletop roleplaying game.”
Ten People You Meet in the Undergarden by Skullboy
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 9:33 AM EST.
  • “A zinequest project set in a new Troika! sphere.”
Moonsailors by Annamyriah de Jong
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 9:38 AM EST.
  • “A quiet space-faring rpg zine about being alone & not quite being alone.”
Willow by Shane Walshe
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 9:47 AM EST.
  • “A Grim Micro Setting (Zine Quest).”
Beak, Feather, & Bone: A Map-Labeling RPG by Tyler Crumrine
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 10:00 AM EST.
  • “A competitive map-labeling RPG and worldbuilding tool.”
Derby Drama by Libby Horacek
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 10:12 AM EST.
  • “A tabletop role-playing game about the drama and excitement of skating in a roller derby bout.”
SATURNINE SANCTUARY by Jacob Navarro
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 10:13 AM EST.
  • “A bestiary of sorrowful monsters for Dungeon World, made for Zine Quest 2.”
Rain on a Conga Drum: A Townes Van Zandt RPG Collection by JR Goldberg
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 10:50 AM EST.
  • “A small collection of tabletop roleplaying games based on the songs of Townes Van Zandt.”
Dead Halt · Happy New Year 1999 · by Zonware
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 11:13 AM EST.
  • “An expansion for the Dead Halt Roleplaying Game; Happy New Year 1999 explores the Hotel during the year leading up to Y2K.”
Dish Pit Witches by Fenced Forest
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 11:48 AM EST.
  • “a small RPG zine about gay witches who work in a restaurant, based on the Tunnel Goons system.”
safe & sound: a ttrpg zine by Livelygold
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 11:50 AM EST.
  • “Fantasy hideouts (and the NPCs who run them) for adventuring parties. Launching Feb 2 for #ZineQuest.”
Hunters in Death by Gothridge Manor
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 12:00 PM EST.
  • “An Old School Hex Crawl”
ROCK & ROLL - A Musical RPG Zine by Ethan Thibault
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 12:05 PM EST.
  • “A tabletop role-playing game about making a band - play gigs, write jams, and get in the van.”
Best Left Buried: The Zinequest Quartet by SoulMuppet Publishing
  • “Four writers. Four RPG adventures. Four books. One Kickstarter project. Welcome to Best Left Buried: The Zinequest Quartet.”
Palanquin RPG – Zinequest by Genesis of Legend Publishing
  • “A zinequest roleplaying game about the Heir and her escape from a palace coup.”
The Hidden Necropolis - RPG Zine Quest by NOLAbert
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 1:49 PM EST.
  • “An adventure compatible with Five Torches Deep, a fantasy RPG.”
Adventurer's Guide to the Yol'Najj Forest by Zeshio
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 1:53 PM EST.
  • “An adventure setting for TTRPGs, provided in zine format for ZineQuest!”
A Touch of Glamour - the ZineQuest Launch by Mahar Abrera Mangahas
  • END DATE: Sun, February 16 2020 11:00 PM EST.
  • “Fey mayhem, as Powered by the Apocalypse.”
The Phylactery - An Old School Heroic Fantasy Adventure Zine by Levi Combs
  • END DATE: Mon, February 17 2020 12:00 AM EST.
  • “A RPG zine full of OSR flavored adventure hooks and resources for use in your heroic fantasy games.”
2D6 Adventures: A new way to play by Chris Robertson
  • END DATE: Mon, February 17 2020 4:34 PM EST.
  • 2D6 Adventures is a TTRPG. Utilizing only 2 dice, our system boasts an easy learning curve for beginners or experienced role players.”
NOTE: Save for the AU Charity links, this article includes affiliate links to DriveThruRPG. As a DriveThruRPG Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Dire Bare

Legend
I can't justify the expense right now, but SkeletonKey Games "Arcane Scrollworks" are amazing! You can still purchase levels 1-3 on their website, and the new leather folio available as an add-on to the Kickstarter is amazing!

I'm off to get some lottery tickets, so I can catch-up on those amazing scrolls!

AriochQ

Adventurer
Even in their heyday, zines were sort of niche. Prior to the internet they were a useful method of communication. I tended to stick to 'official' publications like Dragon magazine, with an occasional forays into White Dwarf, Travellers' Aid Society, Autoduel quarterly, etc.

I am definitely 'meh' on them. But, if there are people pushing a resurgence, I hope it goes well for them.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
Even in their heyday, zines were sort of niche. Prior to the internet they were a useful method of communication. I tended to stick to 'official' publications like Dragon magazine, with an occasional forays into White Dwarf, Travellers' Aid Society, Autoduel quarterly, etc.

I am definitely 'meh' on them. But, if there are people pushing a resurgence, I hope it goes well for them.

There's definitely a resurgence in them surrounding OSR gaming - you can find tons of Zines made for various OSR games over the last decade or son on DriveThruRPG. Even Kobold Press has a zine-style subscriber supplement series for 5e Midgard - Warlock.

I enjoy them quite a bit; I like getting my ideas in more bite-sized pieces if possible...

Wallraven

Explorer
Now, I'm not the target market, but... those metal pride dice are ugly!

The plastic pride dice, that are more widely available, actually look good. Especially the translucent ones. But metal dice with multiple stripes of enamel (or is it paint)? Ugh!

Remove ads

Remove ads