RPG Crowdfunding News – Corpus Angelus, Boricubos, XDM, and more

This week, I look at RPG Kickstarters that end between September 3rd and the 16th. This is not an exhaustive list of tabletop RPG available, just a sampling. Unfortunately, I can’t cover them all, but what I have here are some of the highlights.

Corpus Angelus & Corpus Malicious- Codex of Good & Evil  5E.png

Corpus Angelus & Corpus Malicious: Codex of Good & Evil | 5E from Dream Realm Storytellers
  • END DATE: Thu, September 16 2021 2:30 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £36 for the four PDFs and two STL miniatures
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Named Corpus Angelus, Corpus Malicious, Loniel, and Mindabar, these books bring the heavens and hell to your 5e campaign. Four books with over 900 pages of 5e content between them. That’s a huge amount of 5e rules including two new classes (Witch and Paragon), seventy archetypes (of the named, the Angel Caller is my favorite), new ancestries (Fallen Angel and Redeemed Fiend), 100 new monsters, new optional rules, and more including 200 spells. From the creators of Svilland: The Norse Mythology, if this project interests you, check out the campaign page to download some sample booklets.

Boricubos- Latin American Monsters and Adventures.jpg

Boricubos: Latin American Monsters and Adventures from Legendary Games
  • END DATE: Thu, September 16 2021 10:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Pathfinder 1e & 2e
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $55 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of both books
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Boricubos: The Lost Isles Preview PDF for both systems
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This campaign setting explores a culturally rich archipelago from the right creative team for this project. Designed by Latinx creators using Latinx folklore and history, these books give you a vivid world with D&D and Pathfinder fantasy options. Expect unique ancestries, a new class, monsters, gods, and more, all by creators from the enormity of Central and South America. If you’re looking for a fresh world, this one comes from the right creators and company.

XDM- X-treme Dungeon Mastery, 2nd Edition.jpg

XDM: X-treme Dungeon Mastery, 2nd Edition by Tracy & Curtis Hickman
  • END DATE: Fri, September 10 2021 11:41 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral UPDATED: Per overgeeked from the comments below, there is a simple system included with this game
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 + $15 US S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Tracy and Curtis Hickman (yes, that Tracy) share a new edition of the GMing advice first offered during their panels at Gen Con in the early 2000s. If you’re looking for tips from one of the Dragonlance architects, this offers a better option than the original book with more edits, advice, and art. From the original team, this book provides all of the tips you’ll want to keep your games fresh.

The Night Companion.jpg

The Night Companion from Elf Lair Games
  • END DATE: Sun, September 5 2021 6:25 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): O.G.R.E.S. (Oldschool Generic Roleplaying Engine System)
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Night Shift: Veterans of the Supernatural Wars Quick Start Kit is PWYW at DriveThruRPG
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In this urban fantasy RPG, you play a chosen one, witch, survivor, or “Something Weird” as you compete against the supernatural forces in the night. If you’re a fan of Night Shift: Veterans of the Supernatural Wars, this book expands on that system with four new classes, ways to play as ghouls, lycanthropes, vampires, and more, new monster, and rules to move this game to a straight d20 or percentile system. While it uses an original system, having the option to convert it something familiar is nice. There’s a lot more than what I listed in these 160 pages and it’s worth giving a read.

Epic Legacy Hero's Handbook.jpg

Epic Legacy Hero's Handbook from 2CGaming
  • END DATE: Sun, September 12 2021 8:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $55 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Want to take your 5e campaign to 30th level? This book offers those options – higher level classes, epic monsters, god-like spells, etc. – meaning your characters can keep going. Best of all, it has been around so you’re getting refined rules as this campaign creates a remastered version of 2018’s Epic Legacy Core Rulebook. If you’re interested, check the campaign page to get a preview of the book.

Don't Tell Mom & Dad.jpg

Don't Tell Mom & Dad from Ben Mazzochetti and Ted Gilbert
  • END DATE: Sun, September 12 2021 3:03 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 + $6 US S/H for the PDF and print books plus stickers, worksheets, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This RPG is set in the Kids on Bikes subgenre of fiction much like Stranger Things, E.T., IT, and PAPER GIRLS. Using a modified d20 system, you’ll play pre-cellphone kids mapping out your hometown, discovering horrors and wonders, being scared (there’s a mechanic for it), or being cool (also worked into the game’s engine), all the while saving your home. At 80 pages, it gives you enough d20 mechanics to game in this subgenre and be home in time for dinner.

Protocol Squared- Eons.jpg

Protocol Squared: Eons from Post World Games
  • END DATE: Fri, September 3 2021 1:57 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Protocol Squared version of Protocol Game System
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $11 for the PDF
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? With this campaign, Jim Pinto is running another quickstarter, this one bringing his take on strange horror to your gaming table. You play characters that can see the unknown at the fringes of society and the unknown is terrible. Using the latest version of the Protocol Game System, Protocol Squared, this RPG gives you a refined GM-less experience in which each player helps to tell these dark stories together. Among the 100 pages of the book, there are 40 pages of advice for how to make the transition from traditional GM led gaming to GM-less gaming. If horror and an equitable amount of GMing interests you, check this project out.

Strange Hills.jpg

Strange Hills from Jason Vanhee
  • END DATE: Fri, September 10 2021 11:42 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): No Dice, No Master (Token Economy)
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 for the PDF and POD versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? The apocalypse has entered its final stage: The last city fell making you a refugee. There’s no obvious place left to run to, just things to run through. In Strange Hills, you play characters that helped to run the city, but now you just run. Using a token system in which you make Weak Moves or let other characters shine in order to get tokens to spend on Strong Moves, you tell a collaborative story. This game is GM-less, diceless, and meant for the table to tell stories together. If you want over 150 pages of mood and a system that removes the element of chance, this game is worth a look.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Last edited:

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Slight correction. XDM has it’s own system. It’s d20 based.
I may be wrong, but I don't believe this XDM project has a system based on this quote from the campaign page.
"XDM: X-Treme Dungeon Mastery, 2nd Edition is the system-independent supplement that will help you improve every game you run, and every game in which you play."

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I may be wrong, but I don't believe this XDM project has a system based on this quote from the campaign page.
"XDM: X-Treme Dungeon Mastery, 2nd Edition is the system-independent supplement that will help you improve every game you run, and every game in which you play."
As someone who owns the first edition and has backed the 2nd, I can tell you it has a system in the book. The majority of the text is most commonly used as general DM/GM advice, yes. But it has its own system, complete with character creation, etc. They have given no indication that they're tearing out the game system.

As someone who owns the first edition and has backed the 2nd, I can tell you it has a system in the book. The majority of the text is most commonly used as general DM/GM advice, yes. But it has its own system, complete with character creation, etc. They have given no indication that they're tearing out the game system.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate the clarification. :)

Baumi

Adventurer
It is both .. the majority of the Book is about GM Tips, which works for every System. In the end there is a minimalist System included to showcase the princibles of the GM Tips (less is more).

A great book by the way! 8D

Thank you all for the details. I appreciate all of your feedback (and I'll check out InfiniteD20). The more I think about it, the more having a system is a win. It gives something to apply their GM advice to.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases