RPG Crowdfunding News – Dungeons of Drakkenheim, DCC Dying Earth, CoC Classic, and more

This week, I look at some of the RPG crowdfunding projects that end between July 9th and the 31st. This is not an exhaustive list and I’ll revisit the latter half of this month in next week’s column as there are so many projects that I just can’t cover them all here.

Dungeons of Drakkenheim.jpg

Dungeons of Drakkenheim from Dungeon Dudes
  • END DATE: Sat, July 31 2021 12:00 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $125 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book, fabric map, dice, cards, plushie, minis, GM screen, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This 5e campaign offers a setting designed for characters from levels 1 to 13 as they explore over 20 ruined urban locations such as destroyed mage towers, broken castles, and more. Fifteen years ago, an eldritch star fall destroyed the cities of this setting leaving you with fresh ruins to adventure in. From YouTube/Twitch livestream duo, Dungeon Dudes, this product is well on its way to the million dollar club. If you’re interested in a recent geographic upheaval, or you’re a fan of their steams, this is worth checking out.

Call of Cthulhu Classic.jpg

Call of Cthulhu Classic from Chaosium, Inc.
  • END DATE: Sat, July 24 2021 7:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Call of Cthulhu Second Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG boxed set
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $99 + S/H for the PDF and print boxed set (the 2” set) with 5 supplements
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Forty years ago, Chaosium debuted their Call of Cthulhu Second Edition boxed set. This campaign remasters and reprints two CoC boxed sets. The Classic 1" Boxed Set gives you the rulebook, sourcebook, map, and more. The Full Classic 2" Boxed Set remasters five adventures running from 64 to 80 pages each. All of the books include fixed typos, added errata, and some creator articles and commentary to help give this historic context. In addition, the campaign links to a PDF to convert these 2e products to CoC’s Seventh Edition. If you missed out on these all of those decades ago, now’s your chance.

DCC Dying Earth.png

DCC Dying Earth from Goodman Games
  • END DATE: Wed, July 21 2021 10:01 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeon Crawl Classics
  • PROJECT TYPE: Boxed set
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $110 + S/H for the PDF and print version of the boxed set and the 6 adventures
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In the far future, the sun is dying and, with it, humanity is coming to a close. In this world, based on Jack Vance’s Dying Earth novels, the last of the world are clinging to life and you have to make your way through them in this doomed setting. The boxed set includes supplemental rules including four new classes, thirty-five new spells, fourteen curses, monsters, and six adventure modules. For fans of Jack Vance’s work and DCC, this is a perfect combination.

Tide Breaker RPG- Cinematic Tabletop RPG system.png

Tide Breaker RPG: Cinematic Tabletop RPG system from Nick Butler
  • END DATE: Thu, July 22 2021 11:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This RPG offers cinematic rules to let you and your table create their own cinematic settings and tell stories together. Described as an action movie as an RPG, the campaign page gives an overview of a variety of the system’s rules. If you’re looking for a game in which the table builds the setting together, the rules support big screen action and/or history defining debate, all with a decent amount of mechanical options, this is worth reviewing.

Back to BasiX Fanzine Hardcover Compilation - Issues 1-10.png

Back to BasiX Fanzine Hardcover Compilation - Issues 1-10 from ThrowiGames
  • END DATE: Fri, July 9 2021 5:30 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons B/X
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 + $5 US S/H for the the print version of the book and, I’m assuming, the PDF version
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Thom Wilson of ThrowiGames is combining the first ten issues of his quarterly B/X fanzine, Back to BasiX. 216 pages of B/X product reviews, interviews with the creators such as Merle Rasmussen, Frank Mentzer, David Cook, Erol Otus, and Douglas Niles as well as new adventures, monsters, and magic. If you’re a B/X fan, this offers a lot of content in one location.

Tabletops and Tentacles Magazine 3- The Cryptid Issue.jpg

Tabletops and Tentacles Magazine #3: The Cryptid Issue 🎲🐙 from Deeply Dapper Games
  • END DATE: Wed, July 14 2021 4:05 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG magazine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $23 + $5 for the PDF and print versions of the magazine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This is a true RPG magazine with interviews, fiction, art, and gaming content diverse enough to make this feel like a widescreen snapshot of the industry. This issue includes 200+ pages of columns and more, but the real standouts are the games and content: a bestiary from Alan Bahr (Gallant Knight Games), a 5e cryptid adventure from Jonathan Giordano, a full RPG from Harlen Eherenman, a Troika! character class, a roll for a superstition table to name a few. If you want a full RPG magazine, this one is a great sampling of all things TTRPG.

The Complete Illustrated Book of Enchantment.jpg

The Complete Illustrated Book of Enchantment from Phil Stone LLC
  • END DATE: Sun, July 11 2021 9:00 AM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 + $5 US S/H for the hardcover and, I’m assuming, the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? If you’ve gotten any of Phil’s other illustrated books, you know what you’re getting: OGL 5e spells with gorgeous full-page illustrations accompanying them. This is an artbook and a sourcebook. As part of a series, it really gives you a lot of beautiful artwork to enjoy in a stately printed tome. In addition to the book itself, I really wanted to get this book on the list because Phil did artwork for the new set of Magic: The Gathering Forgotten Realms cards. It’s awesome to see Wizards of the Coast making use of his work in their cards.

Masks of Power for 5e.png

Masks of Power for 5e from Jaime Reyes Mondragón
  • END DATE: Fri, July 9 2021 7:00 PM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: MX$800 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Inspired by Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Monster Hunter, and the 3.5e binder class, this 120-page 5e sourcebook gives you masks for your game. Specifically, what masks you can make from monsters and what powers they’ll grant you. If you’re interested in adding monster hunting and mask wearing to your adventures, there’s a preview of the book on the campaign page.

A Shape in the Dark- The Campfire Kit.jpeg

A Shape in the Dark: The Campfire Kit from Red Isle Productions
  • END DATE: Mon, July 19 2021 10:43 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 + $8 US S/H for the PDF and physical book, the kit, a double sided map, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? It’s a slasher movie setup: There’s a killer and you’re in a town searching for clues about them before they, you know, kill you one by one. The videos on the page give more details about the project, but, by and large, you’re dealing with a slasher and you need to figure out how to stop them using clues around the burg. This project is supposed to deliver in September so you’ll be ready with this for Halloween.

Spells of the Ages- Archmagic For D&D 5th Edition.jpg

Spells of the Ages: Archmagic For D&D 5th Edition from EN Publishing
  • END DATE: Tue, July 13 2021 5:00 PM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £7 for the PDF of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: EN World is a subsidiary of EN Publishing
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? I covered this last week, but I wanted to delve into it again. This EN Publishing 5e project interests me because of the new school of magic it offers, ecomancy, a field of magic that skirts the line of being druidic or clerical. There’s a nice amount of difference so these mages don’t feel like the other classes, but they’re akin and would be good company. Beyond that class, this 27-page book offers new spells and the ability to upcast 19 existing spells. It’s a nice addition to your 5e options.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

harunmushod

Explorer
Classic Call of Cthulhu 2" Boxed Set actually includes: “Rulebook, 1920s Sourcebook, character sheets, cut-outs, world map, plus 5 supplements.”

On DCC Dying Earth Kickstarter “For fans of Jack Vance’s work and DCC, this is a perfect combination” unless you live outside the US and find the additional 50-100% estimated shipping/handling charges too much.

Last edited:

trs31

Explorer
In what particular ways? An eldritch meteor smashing into a city/town and creating an area of corruption and horror was hardly unique to Games Workshop prior to this.
Well that's kind of my question. I know about stories like Lovecraft's Colour out of Space obviously, but a setting where a shower of meteors destroy a city and leave the survivors corrupted by chaos AND then war bands collect the fragments for money, that seems to be almost identical to the premise of Mordheim. I haven't heard of anything quite so similar until Dungeons of Drakkenheim was announced. Even the name is reminiscent of Mordheim. If there where lots of other games that saw adventures collecting wyrdstone/Whatever Drakkenheim calls them before this then could you point me to them?

Not that I have any particular horse in this race....If Games workshop are OK with them making this I can hardly complain. I'm just surprised that Dungeon Dudes didn't say "this is a tribute to Mordheim now it's no longer supported". Not to say that feels like they want us to think its an original idea.

Last edited:

wellis

Explorer
Honestly, I wonder more about what happens when a KS blows past all its stretch goals, and still keeps on getting money.

Like what does the extra money past the last stretch goal get used for generally?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases