RPG Crowdfunding News – Farewell to Arms, Out of the Maw, Psychic Kids, and more

This week’s article looks at RPG crowdfunding projects that end between March 2nd and 11th. Some of the items covered here are regular RPG projects, others are part of Kickstarter’s Zine Quest and ZiMo featuring RPG zines. This is a sampling of what’s available, there’s a lot more out there to choose from. Starting with this article, I’m no longer listing the actual S/H charges for physical...

This week’s article looks at RPG crowdfunding projects that end between March 2nd and 11th. Some of the items covered here are regular RPG projects, others are part of Kickstarter’s Zine Quest and ZiMo featuring RPG zines. This is a sampling of what’s available, there’s a lot more out there to choose from. Starting with this article, I’m no longer listing the actual S/H charges for physical products. I chose to move away from listing the amounts for the shipping as many projects are charging shipping after the campaign ends, sometimes years later, leaving my reporting inconsistent.

Farewell to Arms REDUX - a World War MÖRK BORG Hack.jpg

Farewell to Arms REDUX - a World War MÖRK BORG Hack from rivethead games
  • END DATE: Mon, March 6 2023 11:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): MÖRK BORG
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $120 + S/H for the PDF and print of the core book and four faction books, the collector’s box, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Describing itself as a “shell-shocked, blackened war-punk RPG,” this is a self contained MÖRK BORG RPG bringing WWI-style combat and misery to the gaming table. Set on another world, you’re scvm invading Slaggvara, a living and resource rich land. Since this is a MÖRK BORG setting, the land is as much your enemy as those with artillery, mountains move, trees grab for you, and rivers aim to drown you. As your characters invade, you’ll fight on the front lines, raiding trenches, and enduring poison gas Hell. Because it’s mechanical war, the book includes rules for your squad, resources, and running the army you’re fighting for. If a WWI set on a different world full of foul magic sounds good to you, this campaign offers a core book and a boxed set to get your war started.

'La Notte Eterna'- Horror-Gothic Setting for 5E.jpg

'La Notte Eterna': Horror-Gothic Setting for 5E from Ali Ribelli Edizioni
  • END DATE: Fri, March 3 2023 8:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €49 for the PDF of the three books and two adventures, STLs, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? The world’s turned to night, vampires never sleep, werewolves are coming, and hordes of the undead wiped out civilization. Offering three books with over a 1,000 pages of content combined, you’ll get: La Notte Eterna Corebook, Monsters and Heroes, and The Song of Nebvarasa. Mechanics, monsters, gods, a setting, adventures, and everything between, if the idea of a night world of monsters speaks to you, check out the campaign page for a link to the free quickstart.

Out of the Maw- The Eldritch Compendium for D&D 5E.jpg

Out of the Maw: The Eldritch Compendium for D&D 5E from Coven Games
  • END DATE: Sat, March 11 2023 12:00 AM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This is over 150 pages of 5e crunch. Monsters, Warlock subclasses, spells, magic items, and more, this book promises a variety of new 5e options for your gaming table. As a project by gaming fans, this is them sharing their favorite options and adventures, what they call “professional Homebrew,” with your gaming tables.

Psychic Kids.jpg

Psychic Kids from Wet Ink Games
  • END DATE: Sat, March 11 2023 9:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): +One System
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for the PDF and physical versions of the book and cards as well as dice
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? It’s the 1990s, you’re the ward of The Facility, an evil organization working on unlocking your psychic powers. When you and the other player’s characters awaken those powers, you escape, but The Facility wants you back. This kids on bikes subgenre RPG reminds me of Stephen King’s Firestarter, and Stranger Things, pulling from them to craft a world where the kids have powers, but aren’t safe. Using Wet Ink Games’ +One System, you’ll use d6 dice pools and cards to determine the kids’ fate. If you’re a fan of kids on bikes, this is worth exploring.

Maze Minions - A Mazes supplement for #ZineQuest 5..jpg

Maze Minions - A Mazes supplement for #ZineQuest 5 from Greg Brignola
  • END DATE: Thu, March 2 2023 12:37 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by polymorph
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $10 + S/H for the PDF and print version of the zine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? As I mention with as much gusto as I can, Powered by polymorph RPGs are some of my favorite pick up gaming options (discussed here and here). During Zine Quest, Greg Brignola is offering Maze Minions, a zine that turns the concept behind 9th Level Games’ MAZES on its head. Similar to the concept behind Jordan Palmer’s For the Dungeon! or 9th Level Games latest version of Kobolds Ate My Baby, this RPG has you playing as monsters defending your dungeon from the “heroes” coming to burn you out and steal all of your stolen loot! While 9th Level Games has their own Powered by polymorph zine available via Zine Quest, Maze Minions is a third party option with new mechanics for the system. When asked about this project and if it’s part of an open license, Chris O’Neill shares, “we have an SRD and licensing agreement.” If the idea of playing as monsters defending your dungeon appeals to you, this zine is worth checking out.

Crafty Quest Box 2- Prophecy of the Elder Tooth.jpg

Crafty Quest Box 2: Prophecy of the Elder Tooth from Kids Arcanum
  • END DATE: Tue, March 7 2023 4:01 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: RPG accessory
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $40 + S/H for the boxed set
  • ADDITIONAL REPORTING: I have a new interview with the creator coming soon. In the meantime, here’s my interview with them about the first Crafty Quest Box
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Need a box that teaches young players about fantasy roleplaying with crafting options? Something to engage minds as well as hands? This is Kids Arcanum’s second crafting boxed set aimed at children 5 and up. It features a quest with a dragon, learning new magic, and a crafting section that offers clockwork owls, statue painting, and more. If you’re looking for something that mixes RPGs with crafting for the kids, this is worth checking out.

Decagone.jpg

Decagone from Bodie H
  • END DATE: Wed, March 8 2023 2:13 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Mothership
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €25 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book plus another book, art, and a poster
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project offers a nautical Mothership adventure featuring a time-loop. The loop runs 10 minutes before resetting the characters back in their starting elevator on their first day at the job. However, each loop has a chance of dealing mental damage to the players meaning there’s a limit to the number of resets you have to solve the issue. If Mothership and time-loops sound interesting, this adventure may speak to you.

Dimday Red - Zine + Quickstart Bundle.jpg

Dimday Red - Zine + Quickstart Bundle from 1 Sick Puppy
  • END DATE: Thu, March 9 2023 2:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by the Apocalypse
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €8 for the PDF versions of both books plus playbooks and maps
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? In 52 years, the Earth will be consumed by the Sun. You’re living the planet’s last days. This world is a highly colonial dystopian future where those with power take everything to enjoy the last luxuries available on Earth. Many have developed deadly yet powerful mutations and use their powers to fight against the system. Combining the doom of a MÖRK BORG setting with the mechanics of Powered by the Apocalypse, this RPG will speak to gaming tables interested in a doomsday rebellion.

Vault- A Sci-fi & Fantasy Tabletop Roleplaying Game.jpg

Vault from Team Rex Games
  • END DATE: Fri, March 10 2023 1:59 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $85 + S/H for the PDF and print boxed set, design a merc to be printed, a session with the creators, playtesting, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? As I’ve mentioned with Sinless and the upcoming Subversion, this project combines cyberpunk and fantasy. Some point to any combination of cyberpunk and fantasy as Shadowrun, but that’s an oversimplification of these other projects. While there have been online comparisons of the Vault and SR, Vault feels like its own project despite a fantasy jump off/emergence titled the “Faetide.” You play as cyberpunks working for corpos fighting mystic wars and raiding for corporate greed. This projects stand out element is its crunch. The system has a variety of combat elements to make each encounter unique. If you’re a fan of cyberpunk, fantasy, and fresh mechanical crunch, this project may be for you. If you need a testimonial, Giorgicus from the EN World forums shared his experience playing the "Kill B.O.B." demo (here).

Feathertail Falls.jpg

Feathertail Falls from Sirly Whirly
  • END DATE: Fri, March 10 2023 10:20 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Mausritter
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure zine
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €27 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the zine plus a pamphlet adventure and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This is an adventure for Mausritter, a ruleset that features mice. This product was inspired by Over the Garden Wall, Hilda, and Studio Ghibli's Arrietty, giving a world of small creatures on missions to protect their homes. There’s a full campaign in the zine with maps, factions, and creatures to encounter. If you’re a fan of mouse adventures, this may be a good fit for you.

Cool Name RPG- A Community Owned Fantasy Roleplaying System.jpg

Cool Name RPG: A Community Owned Fantasy Roleplaying System from Mechanical Muse
  • END DATE: Fri, March 10 2023 10:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 for the PDFs of the basic and advanced rules and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project seeks to make a fantasy RPG engine under a “perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free license for creators.” With creators like Matt Forbeck, Toiya Kristen Finley, Owen K.C. Stephens, Eloy Lasanta, Crystal Mazur, Steven S. Long, Monica Marlowe, DBJ, Kenneth Hite, and Robin D. Laws attached, this is a project with some of the best designers in the industry working to make something to inspire other gamers. If you want to support an original fantasy engine with a free license, this may be the right project for you.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

ruemere

Adventurer
I feel that CNGH is a huge risk. But the names of people involved made me back the project.

The things that I would add to the project:
1. Structured proposal for continued development - there should be a promise of a site with SRD (or at least a GITHUB project) for this.

Actually, creating a GITHUB project with LaTeX files would be perfect. A transparent list of updates, a potential method for automated building game manual and an easy method for automated builds.
Something like this:

This could allow for ongoing community development under watchful eyes of of mods.

Imagine that your contribution workflow would go like this:
Create a local copy, Add your article, Upload changes, Changes in due course would be merged into master copy.
Git makes such things easy.
LaTeX allows for professional document building from files with markup.

Here's a link to GITHUB project of RPG manual book template:

2. Promise for early release of submission templates (LaTeX based preferably). Plural.

Endroren

Adventurer
Publisher
I feel that CNGH is a huge risk. But the names of people involved made me back the project.

The things that I would add to the project:
1. Structured proposal for continued development - there should be a promise of a site with SRD (or at least a GITHUB project) for this.

Actually, creating a GITHUB project with LaTeX files would be perfect. A transparent list of updates, a potential method for automated building game manual and an easy method for automated builds.
Something like this:

This could allow for ongoing community development under watchful eyes of of mods.

Imagine that your contribution workflow would go like this:
Create a local copy, Add your article, Upload changes, Changes in due course would be merged into master copy.
Git makes such things easy.
LaTeX allows for professional document building from files with markup.

Here's a link to GITHUB project of RPG manual book template:

2. Promise for early release of submission templates (LaTeX based preferably). Plural.

This is a great idea. In fact, our development process is based on Agile/Scrum (since I'm a software guy in my day job). You can find the proposed process document here:

In the meantime, we'll definitely consider the github idea!

Remove ads

Remove ads