RPG Crowdfunding News – Nirvana on Fire, Western 5e, Preposterous Potions, and more

This week’s list of RPG crowdfunding projects end from January 13 to February 1. Due to the recent announcements about the OGL, some backers are concerned about third party 5e projects, especially new ones. Their concerns may be valid in the face of the limited information coming from Wizards of the Coast. However, I’m still featuring third party 5e projects here because the creators of these...

This week’s list of RPG crowdfunding projects end from January 13 to February 1. Due to the recent announcements about the OGL, some backers are concerned about third party 5e projects, especially new ones. Their concerns may be valid in the face of the limited information coming from Wizards of the Coast. However, I’m still featuring third party 5e projects here because the creators of these books are pouring their passion for tabletop into these projects. I cannot fault gamers that love the game and I want to see them continue to succeed.

Nirvana on Fire- Expanded Edition.jpg

Nirvana on Fire: Expanded Edition from Magnum Galaxy Games
  • END DATE: Tue, January 31 2023 10:30 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Mothership
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: CA$65 + S/H for the PDF and boxed set with book, GM screen, poster, dice, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This boxed set is centered around a 32-page book of adventures described as “Buddhist-tinged” with “Machiavellian intrigues”. The hook is simple: Save a colony’s power station to get salvage rights to their terraforming tower. The only drawback? The tower’s AI has a god complex and you’ll need to defeat it to survive, let alone collect the salvage. Like many Mothership projects, this one is a mix of well-crafted content and packaging with a boxed set that well speak to many RPG collectors. If you’re one of those collectors this campaign is worth an inspection.

Western 5e.jpg

Western 5e from Chamomile Has A Project
  • END DATE: Thu, January 19 2023 8:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $5 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This project offers six (five plus one unlocked as a stretch goal) Old West type 5e character classes for your campaign. The book is straightforward, you want to add the Wild West to your game, this one gives you the classes to do it. Combined with the lore from any of the other frontier RPGs or history, this will speak to some gamers. If you’re one of them, the PDF pledge level is priced right.

Preposterous Potions.jpg

Preposterous Potions from Burning Light Press
  • END DATE: Tue, January 24 2023 5:32 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and OSR
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: AU$30 + S/H for the PDF of the book and cards, plus a print copy of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? 100 potions for your players to use. Each one is listed with art, taste, texture, color, look, container info, duration, and effect. Most important, it has guidance for 5e and OSRs rulesets. Available as a book or cards to pass out to players, this project promises a number of elixirs to make loot more fun.

Locked Lairs & The Puzzles That Keep Them! [for all TTRPG's].jpg

Locked Lairs & The Puzzles That Keep Them! [for all TTRPG's] from THEORYCRAFT
  • END DATE: Thu, January 26 2023 5:57 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £17 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Have you ever wanted to be able to pick a puzzle or a lock that was legitimately difficult? Something clever enough that it feels like your party isn’t the first to encounter it, just the first to succeed? That is what this book offers, puzzles with some depth. This book is 100 pages of maps, diagrams, and descriptions of over 50 puzzles. Designed with different difficulty levels and hints, this book should be of interest to any GM looking for something different during dungeon crawls.

Limitless Non-Player Characters vol. 2.jpg

Limitless Non-Player Characters vol. 2 from Limitless Adventures
  • END DATE: Thu, January 26 2023 8:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? 100 more NPCs from Limitless Adventures for your 5e campaign. Allies, merchants, contacts, and foes of many descriptions appear in this book to help you flesh out your encounters. Add to that, there are over 300 adventure prompts. Coming in at over 100 pages, you’ll get plenty of non-player characters to seed into your setting.

Oops All Dragons  45 New Dragons for D&D 5E and Level Up.jpg

Oops! All Dragons | 45 New Dragons for D&D 5E and Level Up! from Mike Myler and Legendary Games

END DATE: Thu, January 26 2023 11:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition and Level Up! Advanced Fifth Edition
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $13 for the PDF of the book
  • DISCLAIMER: Mike Myler writes for EN World
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? EN World’s own Mike Myler teams with Legendary Games to bring you a hoard of dragons for 5e and Level Up! 45 dragons across 60 pages! Ranging from CR 3 to 28, you’ll get these monsters, some with varying ages, all ready to be used in your adventures. If you’re a fan of Mike’s work here, and a fan of dragons, this campaign is for you.

Coven & Crucible- a game of magic and witchcraft.jpg

Coven & Crucible: a game of magic and witchcraft from Thirteenth Moon Games
  • END DATE: Sat, January 28 2023 2:00 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $20 for the PDF of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Imagine our world but with practically applied magic. Stockbrokers that divine the future, potion brewing baristas, or smugglers importing magic beasts. In this setting, Chicago’s witches are a part of the world, rare and well studied, they change the world around them and charge for the updates. At 200 pages, this RPG offers an original 2d12 system, setting, and lore. In terms of creators, the lead is a “witch and pagan” and this is her view of how this world’s magic would work. If you’re looking for urban fantasy that isn’t about those hidden from sight but those that are living out loud, this might be for you.

D100 Forest Hooks, Fantasy RPG Encounters by Philip Reed.jpg

D100 Forest Hooks, Fantasy RPG Encounters from Philip Reed Games
  • END DATE: Fri, January 13 2023 4:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $1 gets you the PDF
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Philip Reed is back with a new project: 100 adventure hooks. Designed for wooded fantasy RPGs, this book gives you all you need to roll or choose a hook to inspire an adventure. As with many of Philip’s campaigns, there’s a lot to learn as a creator. One of the best pieces of the campaign page to review is his deadline policy. If you back his campaign, he’ll send you a survey and a deadline to complete it by or he’ll refund your money. It’s a good lesson for creators to absorb. Whether the idea of a d100 table of plot hooks interests you or how Philip handles his campaigns, this page is worth checking out.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

CapnZapp

Legend

Vincent55

Adventurer
I backed the western as was pretty cheap to get the hard back version, and as to other fluff well i am from Oklahoma and had high school history and grew up loving westerns and such so think i can do most of the filler my self. Also ran a weird west game back in the day as well that i never got around to updating.

I backed the western as was pretty cheap to get the hard back version, and as to other fluff well i am from Oklahoma and had high school history and grew up loving westerns and such so think i can do most of the filler my self. Also ran a weird west game back in the day as well that i never got around to updating.
It sounds like your players are in for a GREAT game!

Teo Twawki

Coffee ruminator
Worth mentioning: there already exists a Western RPG Kickstarter.

(Not saying there's any overlap or that Chamomile is doing anything wrong. Just dispelling possible confusion, is all)
If only it were released to the public. Medical issues and terrible loss of an author/spouse has kept this away from would-be players.
We've played it sporadically, and it is--by far--the best Western game written. But not being available is a rather insurmountable barrier to playing it.

Remove ads

Remove ads