RPG Crowdfunding News – Soulmist, HORIZON RISING, Mimics, and more

This week I look at projects that end as soon as January 23rd all the way out to mid-February. One convention, several 5e offerings, a fair amount of system neutral books, and more including a card based all-ages RPG. Despite the presence of an all-ages RPG, this week features a lot of dark and doomed fantasy offerings. If you’re interested in more end times at your table, this week has plenty...
This week I look at projects that end as soon as January 23rd all the way out to mid-February. One convention, several 5e offerings, a fair amount of system neutral books, and more including a card based all-ages RPG. Despite the presence of an all-ages RPG, this week features a lot of dark and doomed fantasy offerings. If you’re interested in more end times at your table, this week has plenty to offer.

Soulmist - A Journey from Darkness to Light.png
Soulmist : A Journey from Darkness to Light from Black Lantern Productions
  • END DATE: Wed, February 9 2022 11:59 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €42 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This is a dark fantasy 5e project that leans into new rules to illustrate its grim vision. At 250 pages, the book offers 5 new ancestries, 20 new classes and archetypes, 150 feats and spells, plus new systems: The Erebos System, the Fate Pool, and Prohibited Magic. The new systems are the secret sauce of this project. The Erebos System replaces alignment and systematizes the trauma of this dark fantasy world. There are the Prohibited Magics which provide great power, but at the cost of Erebos levels (more power equals more trauma). The Fate Pool sums the number of Erebos levels your party has and gives your enemies more power based on the party’s Erebos. In other words, the more traumatized your party is, the deadlier the enemies you’ll face. If you’re looking for a 5e experience where the odds keep stacking up against the players as they gain power, this may speak to you.

HORIZON RISING.jpg

HORIZON RISING from L.F. OSR
  • END DATE: Sun, January 23 2022 1:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $25 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This system neutral fantasy setting offers a world that is failing, something for the party to hack through until the end of it all. With 50 hex maps, over a dozen new monsters, and cults galore, this is an apocalyptic and deadly world. At 110 pages, the book offers a doomed option to set your favorite RPG in. If you need inspiration for your dark fantasy world, this may speak to your table.

Mimics, An Unnecessary Work, for Use With Fantasy RPGs.png

Mimics, An Unnecessary Work, for Use With Fantasy RPGs from Philip Reed Games
  • END DATE: Thu, January 27 2022 5:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): System neutral
  • PROJECT TYPE: Source pocket maps
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $3 for three PDFs
  • ADDITIONAL REPORTING: In November, I interviewed Philip Reed about this project (here)
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This [mimic] tongue in cheek project is another Philip Reed special: Format inspiring content just as content inspires format. Printed as a trio of fold out pocket maps that measure 29.44” x 15.72”, these system neutral products give players ideas for mimics, gelatinous cubes, and encounters in the snowy peaks above. These pocket maps are covered in ideas, charts, art, and story hooks to inspire GMs. The PDF price point can’t be argued, and the print versions are going to be cool. I say that with confidence as I’ve gotten one of Phil’s prior fold out pocket maps and it’s a great product, fun to look at with engaging ideas. If you’re curious to see what a pocket map looks like, check out the campaign page.

Adorablins.jpg
Adorablins from Dice Up Games
  • END DATE: Thu, February 3 2022 8:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by the Apocalypse
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $19 + S/H for the PDF and print versions of the game
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This Powered by the Apocalypse RPG is an all-ages game that uses cards for character creation and tracking, for events, for challenges, and more. The narrator draws cards to advance the story, the players say what they intend, and roll to see if it works out. The characters are adorable goblin-like creatures going on adventures. If you feel that this all-ages RPG designed as an easy to carry set of cards might be for your gaming table, check out the campaign page.

Lords of Chaos.png

Lords of Chaos from House Chaos Games
  • END DATE: Thu, February 10 2022 11:08 AM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $35 for the PDF and POD versions of the book plus another PDF
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This original RPG system offers a new, lethal take on fantasy. No classes, actions in segments, hit points are low and will not increase, armor absorbs specific types of damage, a new magic system, and combat tactics. If this sounds interesting, there’s a melee weapon chart at about the middle of the campaign page, check it out to understand the level of realism and complexity. This will appeal to fantasy gamers looking for greater realism in their gaming mechanics.

MaricopaCon 2022 (9th Year).png

MaricopaCon 2022 (9th Year)
  • END DATE: Tue, February 15 2022 8:05 PM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Tabletop gaming convention
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $75 for two badges, two ribbons, and 2d6
  • DATE AND LOCATION: August 19th to 21st, 2022 in 2620 W Dunlap Ave, Phoenix, Arizona 85021
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? For the 9th year, MaricopaCon is coming to Arizona for more tabletop gaming. Catering to fans of board games, card games, roleplaying games, and tabletop wargames, this campaign is offering fans a chance to back their convention in order to have another in-person gathering. For vendors, there were a limited number of vendor tables available through the campaign. Currently, they are sold out, but there may be more offered after the campaign. If you’re a gaming fan in the Arizona area, this is worth checking out. If you’re interested, check out the campaign page.

Nativity in Black.png

Nativity in Black from Michael Mars Gaming
  • END DATE: Wed, February 16 2022 11:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): MÖRK BORG
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 + $5 S/H in the US for the PDF and print versions of the zine
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? This book postulates and games a what if scenario: What if the antichrist were born into a MÖRK BORG doom metal world? The project offers you NPCs and enemies to deal with, even as you know the world will die soon (I mean, it’s MÖRK BORG, the world you’re playing in is coming to an end after a few more bad rolls). This 20-page RPG zine gives the end times a narrative for you and your gaming table to face off against.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, Noble Knight Games’ Affiliate Program, and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG, Noble Knight Games, and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Hmm. Looks very interesting. Nice art...
This is a dark fantasy
Okay.
The Erebos System replaces alignment and systematizes the trauma of this dark fantasy world.
Yes!
There are the Prohibited Magics which provide great power, but at the cost of Erebos levels (more power equals more trauma).
Sweet!
the more traumatized your party is, the deadlier the enemies you’ll face.
Awesome!
If you’re looking for a 5e experience
Oh. Hmm, Lord of Chaos looks interesting...

dave2008

Legend
Soulmist looks very interesting. The new mechanics seem like something that could have been added to the recent Ravenloft book.

EDIT: I must admit @Morrus and the whole EnWorld publishing group have me a bit spoiled on Kickstarters and I find myself not wanting to back a project I have to wait almost a year to get the product. Love those immediately available (once the KS ends) rewards!

Last edited:

Fritterfae

Villager
I know that Mork Borg is a very metal system, but isn't it a bit far to use the exact same name and an homage to the imagery of a Black Sabbath tribute album for the title of the anthology? Seems like the music rights people would jump on that.

I know that Mork Borg is a very metal system, but isn't it a bit far to use the exact same name and an homage to the imagery of a Black Sabbath tribute album for the title of the anthology? Seems like the music rights people would jump on that.
Now all I can see is Ozzy <scrolling through Kickstarter while chewing on a bat's head>: "WHAT? IS? THIS?! Where's my lawyer?!"

Remove ads

Remove ads