RPG Crowdfunding News – Urban Shadows, Dark Places & Demogorgons, and more

This week I look at RPG crowdfunding projects that end by November 26th (Thanksgiving in the US). Despite that deadline, many of these campaigns end the week before. A number of these are new campaigns setup as quickstarters that end before any part of Thanksgiving week and weekends can impact them. With that in mind, lets dive in.
Urban Shadows- Second Edition.png
Urban Shadows: Second Edition from Magpie Games :apocw:
  • END DATE: Thu, November 19 2020 4:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by the Apocalypse
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $39 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the core rulebook plus all PDF stretch goals
  • OTHER REPORTING: In Knights of the Dinner Table #269, I reviewed the first edition of Urban Shadows. My interview with Magpie Games is coming soon
  • TRY BEFORE YOU BUY: Urban Shadows (2nd Ed.) Quickstart is free at DriveThruRPG
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Because Urban Shadows is Powered by the Apocalypse bent to the will of political urban fantasy. 250 pages of rules, setting, and tips to create your character and their crew of supernatural forces that battle and intrigue from the shadows to run your city. You’re one of the supernatural, sure, but just because you’re powerful it doesn’t mean you can upset everyone in your city. I mean, you still have to live there. This game isn’t about you alone, it’s about the bigger picture, the fight for control of the city. If you read between the lines, it’s the [supernatural] battle for the streets you see in America’s cities right now. In the new edition, you’ll get the revisions this game needs to elevate the characters, crews, and setting to another level of fun combined with art that screams next level, all at a price point that offers solid value.

The Lost Triptych- A 5e and B_X RPG Campaign!.png

The Lost Triptych: A 5e and B/X RPG Campaign! from Pacesetter Games & Simulations :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Thu, November 19 2020 9:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Sourcebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of one system of the book
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Thom Wilson of ThrowiGames, who I co-interviewed here many moons ago, writes this 150 page adventure tossing in new magic items and monsters to boot. It’s a cleric-centric adventure for levels 8 to 12 for 5e or B/X. With those words, Thom and Pacesetter Games & Simulations called my name: I love the concept of the gods’ minions front and center at the levels when they are powerful enough to be the gods’ wrath! Well worth considering for your campaign.

Dark Places & Demogorgons 5e.png
Dark Places & Demogorgons 5e from Wet Ink Games :dndnext:

SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES - KAL-ZAR'S BANE 2- MINED GAMES.jpg

SHOTGLASS ADVENTURES - KAL-ZAR'S BANE 2: MINED GAMES from Laidback Dungeon Master :dndnext:
  • END DATE: Tue, November 24 2020 4:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure modules
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: AU$20 for PDF and POD versions of the book, digital maps, and more
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Keeping with the OSR and 5e theme of this week’s column, there’s the Laidback DM’s latest adventures. Each adventure is a one-shot for levels 5 to 7. Of the seven, these two speak to me: a lost library of mutant horrors and the buried severed limbs of a necromancer. From the small press publisher POV, the nicest part are the 600 DPI maps that come with a license that lets you reuse them in your RPG products.

Three-Step Plan.png

Three-Step Plan from Dallas Mix
  • END DATE: Thu, November 19 2020 11:59 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: CA$100 + CA$14 US S/H for the PDF and hardcover with a personalized message from the author
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? A rule-lite, no prep RPG that focuses on character creation as the most important element of the game. If this works as advertised, creating a character-centric RPG that lets you craft unique characters and spotlight them which might give plot-driven RPGs some competition. Going character-driven is a welcome direction for the gaming world.

Heavenscape- Reloaded.jpg

Heavenscape: Reloaded from Saturday Night Gaming :osr:
  • END DATE: Wed, November 11 2020 7:00 PM EST.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $50 + $5 US S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the book plus a t-shirt
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? A 90-page multi-genre OSR with modern RPG elements is an interesting offer. Being multi-genre suggests the rules will cover a range of options while the page count suggests the pages will be packed to cover the details. As new realms are created, they’re added to their database, some they share through their podcast. It’s ambitious and I hope they’re able to hit all of the right notes with this project.

Medieval Europe Architectural Model Kits & Gaming Terrain.gif

Medieval Europe Architectural Model Kits & Gaming Terrain from I Built It Miniatures :minis:
  • END DATE: Fri, November 13 2020 2:59 AM EST.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Miniatures
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: AU$298 + S/H for 3 models
  • WHY SPOTLIGHT THIS CAMPAIGN? Do you want awesome models for your campaign? These pieces pop apart and snap together making assembly easy. The GIF with this preview demonstrates the ease of assembly. It’s worth checking out this campaign for the options and videos.

Egg Embry participates in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program and is an Amazon Associate. These programs provide advertising fees by linking to DriveThruRPG and Amazon.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Longspeak

Adventurer
Dammit, Egg! There goes my next paycheck!

I dunno about Urban Shadows. I was super hyped for the original... and I've never used it. No-one wants to play. I love the idea, but I have enough games no-one else wants to play right now.

But then I look at Three Step Plan and I want it... sigh.

Shotglass Adventures could be fun, too. I'd probably get more use from a few one-shots than from the larger, campaign-focused works I've backed recently.

Regardless, stop making me spend money!

Dammit, Egg! There goes my next paycheck!

I dunno about Urban Shadows. I was super hyped for the original... and I've never used it. No-one wants to play. I love the idea, but I have enough games no-one else wants to play right now.

But then I look at Three Step Plan and I want it... sigh.

Shotglass Adventures could be fun, too. I'd probably get more use from a few one-shots than from the larger, campaign-focused works I've backed recently.

Regardless, stop making me spend money!
Ha! If it helps, I'm in the same boat. While doing the research for this column, I back more than I can afford. ;-)

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases