RPG Evolution: The Half-Edition Shuffle

The next edition of Dungeons & Dragons is finally on the horizon, but it's not here just yet. So when do publishers makes the shift?

The next edition of Dungeons & Dragons is finally on the horizon, but it's not here just yet. So when do publishers makes the shift?

thehalfeditionshuffle.png

A Historical Model​

D&D has been through several editions in recent memory, but few match the recent transition between two compatible editions. Although backwards compatibility is often promised, it's rarely delivered. And there's also the consideration of the thousands of small press publishers created through the Open Game License movement, which didn't exist before Third Edition. Of all the edition shifts, the 3.0 to 3.5 transition seems closest to what D&D is going through right now, so it's a good place to start this thought experiment.

Compatible, Sort Of​

Fifth Edition's transition to Sixth involves tweaks to the game. Those tweaks seemed largely cosmetic, at first. With the release of Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse, it's clear that the spellcasting section of monsters is going to be significantly changed. In short, while players may find their characters compatible with the latest edition of D&D, DMs may find their monsters aren't. And that's a problem for publishers. But mechanically, all of these issues can be addressed. What really matters is what customers think. And that's often shaped by branding.

What a Half-Edition Means​

The transition between Third Edition and 3.5 was more significant than many publishers were expecting. You can see a list on RPG Stack Exchange, which shows just how much the new edition changed the game.

This did not go unnoticed by consumers. The OGL movement was still developing but it caught many publishers by surprise, including the company I wrote for at the time, Monkeygod Publishing (they're no longer in business). When we released my hardcover book Frost & Fur, the only identifier was the D20 System logo. Little did we know that it was imperative to identify the book as 3.5-compatible (which it was), because stores wouldn't carry it and consumers wouldn't buy it if it wasn't.

There wasn't nearly as much communication from WIzards of the Coast back then as to how to prepare for the edition change, much less columns from the company explaining their strategy. More communication about the upcoming edition may mitigate its impact on third-party publishers.

Between the DM's Guild and DriveThruRPG, there is now an ecosystem that can more readily update itself without taking up shelf space or clogging up inventory. Digital products can be changed, covers can be rebranded, and newsletters can announce the update. Wizards of the Coast has also given considerable lead time on the coming changes by announcing the edition well in advance and updating books piecemeal so developers can see what changed. But there's still one important piece of the puzzle.

What Do Consumers Think?​

One of the ongoing concerns for supporting publishers of Third Edition was how the Open Game License would be updated and, at least as important, how to identify that compatibility.

Updating the OGL enables publishers to ensure their products are compatible. The OGL doesn't specify stat block structure, so it may not even be necessary to update the license much if at all.

Identifying compatibility will be even more critical. At some point, publishers will start identifying their products as Sixth Edition compatible. And that will happen when consumers shift their spending habits.

The Changeover​

But first, WOTC has to declare that Sixth Edition has officially arrived. Wizards was hesitant to put a number on Fifth Edition, preferring instead to indicate it was simply D&D to potentially head off edition controversy. Failure to do that in a timely fashion (or worse, failure to recognize a new edition at all and continue calling it Fifth Edition) will cause potential confusion in the marketplace, with both consumers and publishers.

At some point the tide will turn and consumers will expect compatibility with the new edition. That change is complicated by the fact that Sixth Edition should be largely compatible with Fifth Edition. But only consumers can decide that for sure; if they don't feel it is, there will be a sharp drop off in Fifth Edition buying habits. For smaller publishers, they'll stay close to the market to determine when that shift is happening and how to transition smoothly without harming their business model.

Getting it right can be lucrative. Getting it wrong can sink a company. The market convulsed massively when 3.5 came out, wiping out publishers and game store stock that were unprepared for the change. Here's hoping with enough foresight and planning, we don't have a repeat of the 3.0 transition.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

I find that at my tables this is only a problem with people who used to play 3e. The newer players I teach the game to don't find it weird at all that they get a bonus action if some ability gives them a bonus action but that a bonus action isn't something they always have. That's why it's a bonus.

The 3e players are also the only ones who tend to use "move action" and "standard action" as terms. New players will just talk about moving and then taking an action or vice versa (reminiscent of how we used the terms before 3e codified them now that I think of it...)
I've had more issues with people brand new to DnD - they know they get a bonus action but think it's the same as a regular action, and so look for a way to use it every turn even if they don't have a feature for it. So they ask to make an extra attack (without a second weapon), make another move, use an item, cast another spell, make an intimidate check, stuff like that. Basically they try behave as if they get two actions per turn. I'm convinced this is misunderstanding what bonus actions are (since they aren't actions, despite the name) combined with not wanting to do one thing and then wait a whole round to do something again.

People coming from other ttrpg's know that you need a feature to use your bonus action, so they make a point of building characters who always have a bonus action they can use. I'd say they slightly overvalue the bonus action since the opportunity cost for an always available bonus action can be high in some cases (basically, paladins can leave it be.)

or a high-crunch game I like PF2's three-action system. For a lower-crunch game I'd much prefer "you get one action per turn" to be the action economy and have most current bonus actions be free actions when available.

Nebulous

Legend
I find that at my tables this is only a problem with people who used to play 3e. The newer players I teach the game to don't find it weird at all that they get a bonus action if some ability gives them a bonus action but that a bonus action isn't something they always have. That's why it's a bonus.

The 3e players are also the only ones who tend to use "move action" and "standard action" as terms. New players will just talk about moving and then taking an action or vice versa (reminiscent of how we used the terms before 3e codified them now that I think of it...)
I'm the DM, and we who played 3.5 still regularly say Reflex and Fortitude save! The new 5e players just roll with it; they know what we mean.

HammerMan

Legend

the weirdest part I run into is when a DM asks "Are you useing your bonus action?" especially if they ask multi rounds in a row... like "I'm not quickening a spell and not two weapon fighting...so no"

Jer

Legend
Supporter
the weirdest part I run into is when a DM asks "Are you useing your bonus action?" especially if they ask multi rounds in a row... like "I'm not quickening a spell and not two weapon fighting...so no"
Now that's one that I've never run into - though I mostly DM rather than play. I did once have to keep reminding a new player that they had something that gave them a bonus action and had another new player start wondering why I was giving his friend bonus actions when everyone else only got one :)

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
IMO, it's almost inevitable they screw this one up. There's no clear direction for where the game should go. Almost no matter what they do either A) they fracture the community again or B) very few buy the new books because not enough has changed.

IMO, it's almost inevitable they screw this one up. There's no clear direction for where the game should go. Almost no matter what they do either A) they fracture the community again or B) very few buy the new books because not enough has changed.
A little bit pessimistic.
I hope youbare not proven right.

I personally think they can't screw this one up. Make a best of DMG/MM/PHB and you are fine.
I mean, music bands often sell the same tracks over and over again. Remastered best of titles work very well.
People like variations of old things, better quality and being able to get their favourite songs on a single cd. *

* if younger people read that: yes, you actually bought music on plastic discs.

Retreater

Legend
For me, 5.5E is Xbox Series X. I don't see a reason to change. It's likely only a miniscule difference, I can still play the games I want, and it's not anywhere I can buy it currently anyway. ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads