• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So... you don't care what they meant.
I don't care in the sense that what they meant was entirely irrelevant to what I said.
So your response to me, criticizing my point, was based not on the point itself, not on what the other person meant, but on your own interpretation of what them and myself SHOULD have said.
No. Re-read my last few posts. You've missed a great deal if that's what you came away with.
And if they didn't mean what you interpreted, well, that's on them, but I'm still wrong for correctly responding to what they actually said, becuase I should have ignored what they said and only responded to what they "obviously meant" because I should "assume the default"
I wasn't interpreting them at all. I was going by the default in a discussion about default halflings.
So, again. You put words in their mouth
Nope! Not even once.
And you wonder why I regret responding to you.
I don't really. You almost always misinterpret what I say to an immense degree, and almost always negatively. I don't wonder at all why you don't respond to me. I just marvel that the reasons for why you regret responding are almost entirely of your own making.

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
And you’re ignoring a problem where there is one. If I describe a race as mostly LG, give them descriptors that correlate as mostly LG, then there is a disconnect if the typical example from the race is not LG.

Could there be non-LG members of that race? Sure, but it is kind of if you took the lore of Dwarves and the archtypical dwarf was a CG warlock.
There is nothing in 5E that suggests a Rogue can't be Lawful Good.

If you want to rules-lawyer it like this the archtypical halfling is a Lawful Good Rogue.

As far as Bilbbo, it has been about 40 years since I read The Hobbit, but unless I am mistaken he was hired by the Dwarves as a "Burglar" which sounds like a Rogue to me.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

If you want to rules-lawyer it like this the archtypical halfling is a Lawful Good Rogue.
This is true. I just sort of accepted it when they made that argument, probably for the same reason they made it in the first place. It's the way it was done in prior editions. No LG rogues/thieves. Old habits die hard. :)

This is not true. Any character can attempt any skill, but proficient = skilled in a way that non-proficient PCs and NPCs aren't, further expertise = even more skilled.
We are in agreement. Unlike in certain previous editions, proficiency in Stealth isn’t locked to certain classes. Any class can be proficient in Stealth, as can any NPC.
With expertise. Hobbits were so skilled at disappearing and stealthy movement that they rivaled even the elves.
If that is the case, the necessary conclusion is that Hobbits aren’t halflings, since Stoutfoot halflings don’t get anything that helps with Stealth, nor do Eberron halflings, or Ghostwise halflings or Lotusden halflings.
And with his expertise in stealth, combined with a ring that not only made you invisible, but made you the best at what you were trying to be, in his case a burglar, he was a rogue's rogue by the time he hit the mountain.
You’ve made the case that hobbits aren’t halflings, since most halflings aren’t particular good at Stealth.

Did we actually see any halflings demonstrate any expertise in hiding? I haven’t read the Hobbit or LotR recently, but my recollection is that the only examples of successful hiding occur when Bilbo (or Frodo) is using the One Ring.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We are in agreement. Unlike in certain previous editions, proficiency in Stealth isn’t locked to certain classes. Any class can be proficient in Stealth, as can any NPC.

If that is the case, the necessary conclusion is that Hobbits aren’t halflings, since Stoutfoot halflings don’t get anything that helps with Stealth, nor do Eberron halflings, or Ghostwise halflings or Lotusden halflings.

You’ve made the case that hobbits aren’t halflings, since most halflings aren’t particular good at Stealth.

Did we actually see any halflings demonstrate any expertise in hiding? I haven’t read the Hobbit or LotR recently, but my recollection is that the only examples of successful hiding occur when Bilbo (or Frodo) is using the One Ring.
They hide quite a lot. From Ringwraiths, is the first one IIRC, and Sam and Frodo do a lot of it in Mordor.

What I don't think you are seeing is that you are not looking at typical examples of halflings. You are looking at adventurers, which are already atypical members of the race. It's not at all strong to think that they would be highly likely to stray from the LG alignment that most of the race is.
To me, this already feels like a walkback. I point out that halfling lore doesn’t reflect the characters played, and the response is “well, adventurers aren’t supposed to be typical”. Adventurers don’t HAVE to be typical of their race, but an important purpose of lore is to help you build adventurers.

Halflings are also pretty unique in regard to this disconnect.
  • Dwarves are described as having a strong martial tradition and being pious. You see a lot of Dwarf Fighters, Clerics and Barbarians;
  • Wood Elves are very in tune with nature. Cue lots of Wood Elf rangers and druids;
  • High Elves love magic. Lots of High Elf Wizards;

Someone posted a table of races/classes from D&DBeyond. I recall that the number of Halfling Rogues greatly dwarfed the number of other halfling classes. Like to the extent that Halfling Rogues were two-to-three times more frequent than the next popular halfling class.

Hussar

Legend
Someone posted a table of races/classes from D&DBeyond. I recall that the number of Halfling Rogues greatly dwarfed the number of other halfling classes. Like to the extent that Halfling Rogues were two-to-three times more frequent than the next popular halfling class.
It might help to think of halflings as kender, which, in a lot of ways, they are. It's a bit weird because, as you say, the other races tend to flow organically into certain classes that fit pretty well with how the race is presented. Dragonborn and half orcs and dwarves tend to be martial type characters - fighters, paladins, barbarians, that sort of thing. Elves tend to go with wizards or rangers. Tieflings obviously have a pretty strong warlock vibe. Gnomes fit well with artificers, obviously, but, that suffers for not being core. I wonder if artificers being in core in the rerelease (does anyone think artificers won't be included?) might not give gnomes a serious boost.

But halflings funnel into rogues. Dex race, hiding bonuses for some of the halflings, that sort of thing. Mechanically it makes perfect sense. But, again, there's a disconnect between how the race is presented - lovers of comfort and fine things, and how they tend to get played - sneaky rogue/scout types. :erm:

It's a very good point I think. For a race that is supposed to be grounded in community, wouldn't clerics make a lot more sense? Or maybe druids? Kinda/sorta? Then again, in the early days of the game, halflings couldn't even BE clerics. So, I don't think there's much push in that direction.

Your wording in this response suggests that you don’t believe Rogues are typically LG, nor that Halfling Rogues are typically LG.

As far as Bilbbo, it has been about 40 years since I read The Hobbit, but unless I am mistaken he was hired by the Dwarves as a "Burglar" which sounds like a Rogue to me.
The impression I got from the opening chapters of the Hobbit was that Gandalf was bamboozling the dwarves to take along a hobbit that had neither the inclination nor the expertise to be a burglar.

If anything, this kind of underscores that Bilbo is a terrible archetype to rest the “halfling rogue” on.

Last edited:

It might help to think of halflings as kender, which, in a lot of ways, they are. It's a bit weird because, as you say, the other races tend to flow organically into certain classes that fit pretty well with how the race is presented.
Good point. And to build on it, why kender? In Dragonlance, dwarves are traditionally dwarvish, elves are traditionally elvish, yet halflings have been changed into child-like kleptomaniacs with no understanding of personal property.

My suspicion is that even in 1984, the lore of the traditional halfling (comfort-loving homebody) didn’t really square with the way players played the race (scout or thief), some Weiss and Hickman changed the lore (they have mad thieving skills… because they don’t believe in property!).

Obviously, many people do not consider the Dragonlance lore to be an improvement, but it does suggest this disconnect has been a thing for decades.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads