• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG Evolution: The Trouble with Halflings

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

Over the decades I've developed my campaign world to match the archetypes my players wanted to play. In all those years, nobody's ever played a halfling.

the-land-of-the-hobbits-6314749_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

So What's the Problem?​

Halflings, derived from hobbits, have been a curious nod to Tolkien's influence on fantasy. While dwarves and elves have deep mythological roots, hobbits are more modern inventions. And their inclusion was very much a response to the adventurous life that the agrarian homebodies considered an aberration. In short, most hobbits didn't want to be adventurers, and Bilbo, Frodo, and the others were forever changed by their experiences, such that it was difficult for them to reintegrate when they returned home. You don't hear much about elves and dwarves having difficulty returning home after being adventurers, and for good reason. Tolkien was making a point about the human condition and the nature of war by using hobbits as proxies.

As a literary construct, hobbits serve a specific purpose. In The Hobbit, they are proxies for children. In The Lord of the Rings, they are proxies for farmers and other folk who were thrust into the industrialized nightmare of mass warfare. In both cases, hobbits were a positioned in contrast to the violent lifestyle of adventurers who live and die by the sword.

Which is at least in part why they're challenging to integrate into a campaign world. And yet, we have strong hobbit archetypes in Dungeons & Dragons, thanks to Dragonlance.

Kender. Kender Are the Problem​

I did know one player who loved to play kender. We never played together in a campaign, at least in part because kender are an integral part of the Dragonlance setting and we weren't playing in Dragonlance. But he would play a kender in every game he played, including in massive multiplayers like Ultima Online. And he was eye-rollingly aggravating, as he loved "borrowing" things from everyone (a trait established by Tasselhoff Burrfoot).

Part of the issue with kender is that they aren't thieves, per se, but have a child-like curiosity that causes them to "borrow" things without understanding that borrowing said things without permission is tantamount to stealing in most cultures. In essence, it results in a character who steals but doesn't admit to stealing, which can be problematic for inter-party harmony. Worse, kender have a very broad idea of what to "borrow" (which is not limited to just valuables) and have always been positioned as being offended by accusations of thievery. It sets up a scenario where either the party is very tolerant of the kender or conflict ensues. This aspect of kender has been significantly minimized in the latest draft for Unearthed Arcana.

Big Heads, Little Bodies​

The latest incarnation of halflings brings them back to the fun-loving roots. Their appearance is decidedly not "little children" or "overweight short people." Rather, they appear more like political cartoons of eras past, where exaggerated features were used as caricatures, adding further to their comical qualities. But this doesn't solve the outstanding problem that, for a game that is often about conflict, the original prototypes for halflings avoided it. They were heroes precisely because they were thrust into difficult situations and had to rise to the challenge. That requires significant work in a campaign to encourage a player to play a halfling character who would rather just stay home.

There's also the simple matter of integrating halflings into societies where they aren't necessarily living apart. Presumably, most human campaigns have farmers; dwarves and elves occupy less civilized niches, where halflings are a working class who lives right alongside the rest of humanity in plain sight. Figuring out how to accommodate them matters a lot. Do humans just treat them like children? Would halflings want to be anywhere near a larger humanoids' dwellings as a result? Or are halflings given mythical status like fey? Or are they more like inveterate pranksters and tricksters, treating them more like gnomes? And if halflings are more like gnomes, then why have gnomes?

There are opportunities to integrate halflings into a world, but they aren't quite so easy to plop down into a setting as dwarves and elves. I still haven't quite figured out how to make them work in my campaign that doesn't feel like a one-off rather than a separate species. But I did finally find a space for gnomes, which I'll discuss in another article.

Your Turn: How have you integrated halflings into your campaign world?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

lingual

Adventurer
Going on 50 years now. But, sure, we should keep on the same track because, y'know, trying anything different cough*Tiefling, Dragonborn in the PHB couldn't possibly work. :erm:

I don't get it. They are in the PHB. I don't think anyone is clamoring to remove them.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
We are in agreement. Unlike in certain previous editions, proficiency in Stealth isn’t locked to certain classes. Any class can be proficient in Stealth, as can any NPC.
It goes even further than that. If feats are used any class can have expertise at any skill, including stealth.
If that is the case, the necessary conclusion is that Hobbits aren’t halflings, since Stoutfoot halflings don’t get anything that helps with Stealth, nor do Eberron halflings, or Ghostwise halflings or Lotusden halflings.
No, D&D halflings are not hobbits. Gygax used hobbits for the inspiration, but altered them. I personally would move them back towards hobbits, but I like Tolkien a lot so I'm REALLY biased there.
You’ve made the case that hobbits aren’t halflings, since most halflings aren’t particular good at Stealth.
We don't actually know if this is true or not. There are two subraces of halfling, one of which gets a stealth bonus that is good. Are the two subrace populations equal? More lightfoots? More stouts? We don't know. There could be more lightfoots than stouts and most halfling would be good at stealth. Or maybe not. 🤷‍♂️
Did we actually see any halflings demonstrate any expertise in hiding? I haven’t read the Hobbit or LotR recently, but my recollection is that the only examples of successful hiding occur when Bilbo (or Frodo) is using the One Ring.
Either 2 or 4 hobbits hid from a nazgul in the forest. The nazgul who are adept at finding targets. The LotR also mentions somewhere how incredibly gifted at stealth the hobbits are.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To me, this already feels like a walkback. I point out that halfling lore doesn’t reflect the characters played, and the response is “well, adventurers aren’t supposed to be typical”. Adventurers don’t HAVE to be typical of their race, but an important purpose of lore is to help you build adventurers.
Yes and no. If a dwarven cleric went adventuring, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. If a dwarven fighter went adventuring, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary. You see this a lot as they are a race that is prone to adventuring. Halflings are not, so adventurers are atypical of their race.

You can still use a lot of halfling lore in your adventurer, though, if that's what you want to do. You can draw on it for the reason the halfling is adventuring. You can pick an atypical halfling reason, revenge for killing my father. Or you can draw on the lore and use the wanderlust, being a bad apple, curiosity or more.
Halflings are also pretty unique in regard to this disconnect.
  • Dwarves are described as having a strong martial tradition and being pious. You see a lot of Dwarf Fighters, Clerics and Barbarians;
  • Wood Elves are very in tune with nature. Cue lots of Wood Elf rangers and druids;
  • High Elves love magic. Lots of High Elf Wizards;
Halflings are called out as being a good choice for a sneaky rogue and rogues are mentioned twice in the halfling write-up in Mordenkainen's.
Someone posted a table of races/classes from D&DBeyond. I recall that the number of Halfling Rogues greatly dwarfed the number of other halfling classes. Like to the extent that Halfling Rogues were two-to-three times more frequent than the next popular halfling class.
That makes sense. They have a history of being rogues, have a dex bonus of +2, have luck to re-roll those skill checks of 1, can move through enemy spaces to get to where they need to be, and I suspect most of those halflings were lightfoots to be able to hide behind party members. It's a great race for that class.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The impression I got from the opening chapters of the Hobbit was that Gandalf was bamboozling the dwarves to take along a hobbit that had neither the inclination nor the expertise to be a burglar.
No. Gandalf was a maiar(angel) and a powerful one at that. Further, he was the wisest of all the Istari(maiar wizards) and saw things in others that even they might not know was there. He chose Bilbo for his ability as a burgler. Bilbo just took some convincing to step into that role is all.

Chaosmancer

Legend
There is nothing in 5E that suggests a Rogue can't be Lawful Good.

If you want to rules-lawyer it like this the archtypical halfling is a Lawful Good Rogue.

As far as Bilbbo, it has been about 40 years since I read The Hobbit, but unless I am mistaken he was hired by the Dwarves as a "Burglar" which sounds like a Rogue to me.

Sure, nothing in 5e suggests a Rogue can't be Lawful Good.

However "Thief who breaks the laws" or "Assassin" are not archetypes generally associated with Lawful Good, hence the disconnect between the expected halfling lore and the expected halfling archetype that they pointed out.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
But halflings funnel into rogues. Dex race, hiding bonuses for some of the halflings, that sort of thing. Mechanically it makes perfect sense. But, again, there's a disconnect between how the race is presented - lovers of comfort and fine things, and how they tend to get played - sneaky rogue/scout types. :erm:
Their sneaky rogue-ness is how they acquire and-or can afford all those fine comfortable things. No disconnect at all. :)
It's a very good point I think. For a race that is supposed to be grounded in community, wouldn't clerics make a lot more sense? Or maybe druids? Kinda/sorta? Then again, in the early days of the game, halflings couldn't even BE clerics. So, I don't think there's much push in that direction.
I agree they make good Clerics and-or Druids and long ago wiped out the no-Clerics restrictions for pretty much any species intelligent enough to develop its own religion.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The impression I got from the opening chapters of the Hobbit was that Gandalf was bamboozling the dwarves to take along a hobbit that had neither the inclination nor the expertise to be a burglar.
Inclination? No. Expertise? Yes. Gandalf had seen that in him - along with a strong streak of heroism - even though Bilbo himself had no idea of his own capabilities; and he was later proven right on both counts.

Gandalf's job was simply to get the ball rolling.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sure, nothing in 5e suggests a Rogue can't be Lawful Good.

However "Thief who breaks the laws" or "Assassin" are not archetypes generally associated with Lawful Good, hence the disconnect between the expected halfling lore and the expected halfling archetype that they pointed out.
Where in the halfling lore does it say that they go around breaking laws and assassinating people? I'm not seeing the disconnect between a LG halfling rogue and and the halfling lore.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Where in the halfling lore does it say that they go around breaking laws and assassinating people? I'm not seeing the disconnect between a LG halfling rogue and and the halfling lore.
well those are the two non magic options in the phb thus unless all halflings never make it past level 2 they end up as them somehow?

Remove ads

Remove ads