RPG Freebies, Bundles, and Sales News (December 11, 2022)

Welcome to the Bundles, Freebies, and Sales News, the weekly column at EN World that helps make sure you don’t miss out on big tabletop RPG bundles, charity fundraisers, and sales from around the internet.

419524.jpg

Freebies and Pay What You Want

Note: While “Pay What You Want” downloads are available for free, please support the creators if you are able!

Roll for Combat has a new ancestry for Pathfinder 2nd Edition and for 5e that’s so ridiculous I couldn’t help but include it here: Battlezoo Ancestries Meleagris. For those who don’t know their species taxonomy, that would be the meleagris gallopavo or the domestic turkey. Yes, turkey people.
  • Price: Free

And if the idea of turkey PCs or just the season in general has you looking to a holiday one shot, GM Puppy Pound has you covered with Christmas themed character sheets for 5e. The bundle also includes a set of pregens meant for their adventure for 3rd level characters Saving Christmas: An Ornament Story for $4.99 but also ready for use in any other 3rd level adventure.

Comedy Relief Squad answers a question that I hadn’t considered before: If steampunk is an alternate late 19th century, what’s going on outside the major cities of the world? CopperHorse is the wild west of the steampunk world as magic dwindles in the world opening a new frontier of exploration and settlement.

For the OSR fans, benman released B/X: Expanded Weapon Qualities, a supplement for B/X and compatible retroclones. This expands the utility of multiple weapons adds new tactical options in combat.

And if you need somewhere to test out those new weapons, the Cavern of the Creeping Terror from Kormar Publishing is a 3rd level OSR adventure featuring a three-tiered dungeon with 22 caverns. The adventure includes a system-neutral bestiary, a horde of loot for greedy adventurers, and options for exploration, diplomacy, and betrayal to resolve the conflict that places a seaside village on the precipice of destruction.
  • Price: Pay What You Want (Suggested: $1.99)

Fans of urban fantasy will find a lot delightfully familiar with Team3’s The Fabled Few, an RPG where fables are real and living in the edges of our reality. Use your magic, skills, and wits to outsmart, outplay, or outperform a Fable and its cronies attempting to force you to reenact the storylines from the classic fairy tales.

CRISPR Monkey Studios have a supplement from their GeneFunk 2090 biopunk game for 5e featuring a collection of 65 genetic enhancements. Take a peek at the core rules and setting for GeneFunk 2090 (core rules available here) or just get some new character options for your science fiction 5e games (or reskin them for your fantasy games).

ForgottenAdventures has a pair of token packs to add life to your VTT games. The first is the Table Clutter Pack 10 full of roasted meats, cheeses, fish, and more to liven up your maps’ tables with a feast, while the Vehicles Pack 3 includes…okay, I have to address this, the description for this product calls it “a nice sailection of Anchors, Capstans, Riggins, and some other interesting pieces” but I think the quality of the boat-themed tokens can overcome the terribleness of that pun.
  • Price: Pay What You Want (Suggested: $4.99 each)

I love post-apocalyptic games with a theme of rebuilding and I think Steven Zych is a kindred spirit with Scrap, an original RPG about surviving a rust-covered wasteland by salvaging whatever you can in order to survive. This full rulebook includes everything you need to play in a world where nothing goes to waste and you can scrap your weapons mid-fight to create something more powerful in order to live another day.
  • Price: Pay What You Want (Suggested: $5.00)

Over on Dungeonmasters Guild, Ebba Stuart obviously had a rather Community spirit in mind with the Greenhaven Community Conjurer’s College, a school southwest of Strixhaven for the lost souls who couldn’t quite make it into the larger university. This is a work-in-progress released on “It’s December 10th!” complete with a map of the school, descriptions of the campus, student profiles, and an adventure generator inspired by the Dan Harmon story cycle. Merry Happy!
  • Price: Pay What You Want (Suggested: $0.00)

If you’ve looked at the Genasi but couldn’t find just the right elemental variant for the character you had in mind, Jurij Robba has Genasi Expanded, a collection of 13 variants for the genasi including storm, entropy, vibrant, and more.
  • Price: Pay What You Want (Suggested: $1.70)

So you know how sometimes we get a wave of one type of product all at once during a week? This week, it happened twice. Here’s a collection of the new subclasses available on DMs Guild this week, all pay-what-you-want with the suggested price in parentheses.

And then we’ve got so many map collections available this week as well.

7708696mk65scecj33395xfij3jmlnah-logo-00c6piqlze0m6eut.png

Bundles and Sales

Note: I have included end dates when listed for the following sales, but please be warned that those without published end dates may end suddenly so be sure to plan purchases accordingly.

D&D Beyond is celebrating the season with an advent calendar of discounts. Each day, a new deal unlocks including so far discounts on licensed D&D physical board games, D&D t-shirts, the Campaign Cases accessories line, gift boxes, the deluxe Beadle & Grimm’s boxed sets, digital copies of Dungeon Masters Guide and Spelljammer, and more to come. But the biggest is the one from Day One: A free copy of the Monstrous Compendium Volume Two: Dragonlance Monsters.

• Price: From 10% to 25% off plus the free Dragonlance book

Luna Publishing released the Holiday Horrors Bundle on DriveThruRPG featuring a collection of adventures ranging from 3rd level all the way up to 16th level all with some sort of wintery theme. The bundle also includes a collection of cards and maps ready for use on your VTT or printed and cut out to make running the adventures easier.
  • Price: $9.95 (26% off)

Also from Luna Publishing is the First Foray Bundle, which collects five 1st level adventures ready to help introduce new players to 5e. This bundle also includes a handy card and map collection making it all the easier to run these introductory adventures.
  • Price: $9.95 (26% off)

Knowledge of the Christmas villain Krampus has become more common recently, and of course that means he’s showing up more in roleplaying games. Heroic Maps is ready to help with a bundle collection the adventure TAKEN by the Krampus along with their map collection The Krampus Lair ready for your adventuring party to ensure the Christmas troll doesn’t overstep his role in punishing naughty children.
  • Price: $7.11 (50% off)

If you’ve ever looked at 5e and thought the world was a bit too technologically advanced? The Stone-Age Player Character Race bundle is for you with a collection of playable ancestries for 5e from before the era of recorded history.
  • Price: $5.00 (84% off)

shadowrun-bundle.jpg

Charity Bundles and Sales

If you’ve been left behind on the Blades in the Dark train, Bundle of Holding is here with a bundle of Forged in the Dark books. The core collection includes Blades in the Dark core rulebook, the solo play variant Alone in the Dark, and the Duskwall Heist Deck and Doskvol Street Maps accessories, while the add-on gives more setting options including Band of Blades, Scum and Villainy, Hack the Planet, A Fistful of Darkness, and Glow in the Dark.
  • Price: $12.95 (71% off) with variable cost Level-Up option
  • End Date: December 27, 2022
  • Charity: Diana Jones Award Emerging Designer Program (10%)

If you want a Forged in the Dark game that comes highly recommended, Grant Howitt and Chris Taylor have a pair of bundles for their Spire RPG and setting. The Starter Collection features the core rulebook Spire: The City Must Fall detailing the mile-high fantasy-punk dark elf city of The Spire along with the Strata sourcebook and three campaign frames. The Bonus Collection adds on six more titles to expand the world along with an mp3 soundtrack collection to set the mood for your games.
  • Price: $12.95 (71% off) with variable cost Level-Up option

There’s also the the Heart Bundle featuring the Heart: The City Beneath spinoff of The Spire that works as an expansion or as its own game. This stand-alone game takes place in the undercity and dungeons beneath the Spire and sends players into the outlawed cathedrals, predatory buildings, and twisted night forests that lurk under the city. The bundle includes everything you need to play including the Heart: The City Beneath core rules and four supplements to expand your game.
  • Price: $16.95 (72% off)

R. Talsorian Games and Humble Bundle have The Witcher RPG and More Bundle, and the “and More” title does a disservice to the amazing Castle Falkenstein. I assume The Witcher needs no introduction in 2022 as the bundle includes at the top-tier the core rulebook and the supplements A Book of Tales, A Witcher’s Journal, A Tome of Chaos, and Lords & Lands. However, this bundle also includes the masterpiece Castle Falkenstein combining fantasy elements, Victorian aesthetics, and ingenious industrial technology into a game that was steampunk almost before the term “steampunk” even existed.
  • Price: $1/$10/$18 (90% off at top tier)
  • End Date: December 24, 2022
  • Charity: Starlight Children’s Foundation (user-defined, default 5%)

Okay…those who follow me on social media have already heard me talking about this bundle from Bundle of Holding, but Shadowrun 1e-2e Mega Bundle is literally where I started in tabletop roleplaying. I owned every one of these books and read and re-read them so many times that they almost fell apart (and actually did in the case of my Shadowrun 2nd Edition Core Rulebook). To me, the books included in this bundle are still the gold standard in game writing and worldbuilding for a roleplaying game setting. The bundle includes not just the core rulebooks and the supporting sourcebooks for Shadowrun 1st Edition but also classics like Universal Brotherhood, Harlequin, Corporate Shadowfiles, Shadowbeat, and more. The add-on expands the collection into Shadowrun 2nd Edition with all the core books plus sourcebooks still useful in Shadowrun to this day for history and worldbuilding such as Aztlan, Tir Tairngire, Portfolio of a Dragon: Dunkelzahn’s Secrets, Threats, and a lot more. And seriously, if anyone has any questions about any of the books in this bundle, feel free to ask me in the comments or on social media because I am always ready to talk about some of my favorite game books ever published and have read every one of these cover-to-cover multiple times.
  • Price: $19.95 (80% off) with variable-cost Level-Up option
  • End Date: December 22, 2022

Not only did I get to talk about Shadowrun earlier, but Humble Bundle has extended their Introduction BattleTech bundle for another two weeks! It really is a special holiday! This bundle features everything you need to play the tabletop wargame BattleTech along with its faster-play variant BattleTech Alpha Strike along with a library of lore sourcebooks invaluable to anyone playing the roleplaying game versions BattleTech: A Time of War or MechWarrior: Destiny. Not only that, but the top-tier pledge level includes the physical BattleTech Beginner Box with two plastic minis, cardboard tokens for other ‘Mechs and vehicles, a map, pilot cards, reusable record sheets, and more to jump right into the fight.
  • Price: $1/$10/$18/$30 (91% off at top tier)
  • End Date: December 17, 2022
  • Charity: Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society (user-defined, default 5%)

That’s all for this week! If you know of any bundles or sales starting soon, please contact me on the EN World Discord, tag me on Mastodon, or send me a message here on EN World. Discount percentages have been rounded to the nearest whole number and are based on the standard retail price provided by the site. Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, Fantasy Grounds, and/or DriveThruRPG may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Last edited:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Abstruse

Legend
I get what you're saying, but there's a real dearth of other examples. When Bright came out, I was telling my friends, "See, a little like this movie, only better," when trying to describe my ideal Shadowrun film.
I still say the best fits tonally are Leverage and Burn Notice. A group each with different skills that work together outside the law taking jobs from clients to steal from the rich and powerful using theft, subterfuge, and sometimes an excessive amount of explosives.

Hell, the pilot episode of Leverage is basically every Shadowrun adventure ever. The team gets hired by a Johnson who betrays them because he was working an angle they didn't know about and then they get revenge. Just imagine Sophie's an elf, Hardison's got a datajack, Elliot's got 20 lbs of cyberware, and Parker's an adept and that's basically Shadowrun. I've also bugged showrunner John Rogers (who's also worked in TTRPG game design) about it and he stated Shadowrun was an influence on the show.

mcmillan

Adventurer
I still say the best fits tonally are Leverage and Burn Notice. A group each with different skills that work together outside the law taking jobs from clients to steal from the rich and powerful using theft, subterfuge, and sometimes an excessive amount of explosives.

Hell, the pilot episode of Leverage is basically every Shadowrun adventure ever. The team gets hired by a Johnson who betrays them because he was working an angle they didn't know about and then they get revenge. Just imagine Sophie's an elf, Hardison's got a datajack, Elliot's got 20 lbs of cyberware, and Parker's an adept and that's basically Shadowrun. I've also bugged showrunner John Rogers (who's also worked in TTRPG game design) about it and he stated Shadowrun was an influence on the show.
Since I find the mechanics clunky if I can ever convince my group to play Shadowrun I've thought I'd probably hack the Leverage Cortex rpg. I was surprised when I looked to see if anybody had already done the same thing and couldn't find anything as of a few years back. My simple thought was to give the players a budget for asset dice that they could flavor as cyberware/spells/adept abilities and treat metatypes as one of the distinctions

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I've been thinking, once I get the physical rewards, I'll try using the CBR+PNK rules to run a Shadowrun game. Part of the new materials is a +WEIRD pamphlet for adding supernatural elements to it, which I think can be used to make an extremely streamlined Shadowrun game possible.

evildmguy

Explorer
I'm with @RealAlHazred in saying Bright is a Shadowrun example. My counter, to @Abstruse s good point about the main characters being cops, is that the other cops were dirty, and everyone else had ulterior motives. What I used to say to people is that Bright was prototype Shadowrun, before Chrome but after goblinization, although that probably isn't possible with the SR timeline. I know the Bright timeline it also doesn't work for the orc stuff. That's still how I think of it, more like a background story of how those two became runners.

I do like that you talked to John Rogers and he said that! Awesome!

I understand what you are saying about Leverage and Burn Notice, especially Leverage. I feel like they are too happy for SR but they are a good descriptor of a job.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases