RPG-ish Boardgames

Kanegrundar

Explorer
philreed said:
I'll second this one. It's a lot of fun. (I still need to grab the expansion.)
I recommend it. It helps to balance the game out a bit with some new takes on the rules, plus new monster minis are always good to have.

I'll also send forth some love for Runebound. It should, I think, be manageable by an interested 8-year-old. I haven't tried it with my 6-year-old, although she's been "counter helper" before. FWIW, Runebound also plays well solo, which is important considering that I have no heavish-boardgame friends at the moment. As someone else said, there are a *lot* of expansions, 6 more on the way this summer, and the cheap decks add a lot of interesting twists.

I've had my eye on Descent since before it came out, and I've toyed with the idea of buying it then developing a simplified rule set for my kids and I to use. I really like the Runebound+Descent overland/dungeon idea someone mentioned, too.

klofft

Explorer
My goodness! Magic Realm! Haven't heard that one mentioned in forever! I owned that game and I wish I knew where it was. I tried to make sense of the rules a dozen times between the ages of 10 and 20 and never succeeded. There were some REALLY interesting ideas in that game!

For something more modern, I can recommend When Darkness Falls. It is very much a hybrid lite-RPG/Boardgame. It also has lots of expansions. It is ideally a cooperative game. However, it requires a bit of imagination to really get the most out of it, as it uses a generic counter set for everything. It doesn't come close to some of the visuals offered by many of the other ones mentioned here.

C

talwynor

First Post
Cant Wait to get ...

Thanks for all the input...I'd love to hear from more on games that are out there as I think this may be a great way to satisfy my rpg fix for awhile (haven't had much luck with groups.) While Descent and Runebound were almost the first choice, we decided to go with the WoW boardgame ...largely because the game LOOKS amazing and becasue my son has been dying to play the MMO but I won't let him.

Dork Tower wasn't on my radar before this thread, but I'm prolly picking that up at my FLGS as well...seems like it might be a great fit for my son. I Ordered the WoW game from Thought HAmmer online so Ill let everyone know how the transaction and the first game goes!

Eli-kun said:
Played Shadows Over Camelot last week. Really fun with lots of role playing opportunities.

I ordered this a few days ago. It looks really cool and has good reviews, but I'm glad to hear a positive review, here.

I also ordered Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Many good games recommended here. I will third the mention of Warhammer Quest: absolutely AWESOME dungeon crawl board game. There is no substitute.

If anyone out there wants an idea for the perfect board game, it would be a reprinting of Warhammer Quest. Games Workshop has absolutely no plans to do so, however.

Other than that, Runebound is something we have been having a lot of fun with, and Descent is perhaps a little more complex than what you're looking for, but still a good time.

--Steve

RFisher

Explorer
klofft said:
My goodness! Magic Realm! Haven't heard that one mentioned in forever! I owned that game and I wish I knew where it was. I tried to make sense of the rules a dozen times between the ages of 10 and 20 and never succeeded. There were some REALLY interesting ideas in that game!

Heh! The corner cases can be kind of unclear, but we always found it pretty straightforward--although complex.

There was a interview with the designer online in which he talked about his original design vs. what got published.

Some fans have put together a 3.0 version of the rules with advice from the designer.

They used to play games online too, but it's been a while since I was keeping up with them.

klofft

Explorer
So now I have to find my original copy and see if I can understand the rules. A doctorate should be good for something!

Do you have a link for those "3.0" rules (and where were the 2.0 rules?!).

C

Bront

The man with the probe
I'm supprised no one's mentioned Return of the Heroes, which is very Talisman/Magic Realm like (Random board, quests, and power up to kill the big baddie). Lots of fun.

TemplarSaint

First Post
Philotomy Jurament said:
I ordered this a few days ago. It looks really cool and has good reviews, but I'm glad to hear a positive review, here.

I also ordered Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan.

Philo, you are going to enjoy all of those games. And if you want a good variation on Settlers, get Starfarers of Catan.

As for fantasy boardgames, Rackham is coming out with one later this summer called Cadwallon. I don't know much about it yet, but it soounds like a cross between Heroquest/Warhammer Quest and an RPG. They have already released two packs of gaming tiles for it (Lower City I & II), and I grabbed them last weekend. Great art and theu use one inch squares. My party will be ambushed on the streets of the city tonight.

Remove ads