RPG Print News – Legendary Games, Pelgrane Press, and More

Lots of new support for D&D, Pathfinder, and OSR RPGs including a magazine, a new class, adventures, monsters, and psionics. Fantasy Trip gets character collections. The week rounds out with a miniatures cathedral and miniatures that work well in post-apocalyptic RPGs.

Lots of new support for D&D, Pathfinder, and OSR RPGs including a magazine, a new class, adventures, monsters, and psionics. Fantasy Trip gets character collections. The week rounds out with a miniatures cathedral and miniatures that work well in post-apocalyptic RPGs.

33 maize and monsters.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: RPG Print News covers new RPG releases and some classics and sales available from online retailers. It does not cover products that are only available to customers through kickstarter, directly from a publisher website, or as print on demand.

Maize and Monsters 5E | Maize and Monsters Pathfinder | Maize and Monsters Swords and Wizardry | The Hidden Shrine of Tmocanotz 5E | The Hidden Shrine of Tmocanotz Pathfinder | The Hidden Shrine of Tmocanotz Swords and Wizardry by Frog God Games
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition/Pathfinder First Edition/Swords & Wizardry
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover adventures
  • RETAIL PRICE: $20 each
  • DESCRIPTION: In Maize and Monsters the PCs learn the grim reality that time sometimes opens old wounds rather than healing them. Investigating a recent murder in the village of Pilhua the PCs must wade through a list of suspects and motives that lead them to discover the ugly truth about a heinous crime that spawned a greater evil than even its perpetrators could ever imagine. The Hidden Shrine of Tmocanotz introduces the PCs to an old foe making an appearance in the forsaken Izmalli Swamp on the island of Tehuatl. In a subterranean and partially submerged complex beneath the ground, the deranged worshippers of a foul deity have made a sudden and unexpected resurgence in their efforts to spread madness and wickedness beyond their isolated corner of the wetlands.
33 tome of horrors cards.jpg
Tome of Horrors - Deck One | Tome of Horrors - Deck Two | Tome of Horrors - Deck Three by Frog God Games
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: tarot-sized card decks
  • RETAIL PRICE: $35 each
  • DESCRIPTION: 78 unique monster cards with complete 5th edition stats drawn from Necromancer Games Tome of Horrors 5e 2020. Can be used as flash cards to show players or by a GM to organize her campaign and make her job easier.
33 the dragons hoard.jpg

The Dragon's Hoard Issue #6 by Legendary Games
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons Fifth Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: magazine
  • RETAIL PRICE: $11.99
  • DESCRIPTION: A monthly anthology of magic items, spells, monsters, and more from Legendary Games’ ongoing Legendary Loot Patreon. The Treasure Trove features the magic items: cane of butterflies, winterbark barding, fluid modulation gloves, and the scepter of forgotten time. Basker’s Books includes new spells like powerslave, dream alliance, form of the dragon, and subjective reality. Class Acts features new class options like the Circle of Shapeless and Primal Terror for druids and the Knight Hospitaller for fighters. And Marvelous Monsters includes the bakeneko, disenchanter, and stained glass knight.
33 second edition classes.jpg

Second Edition Classes - Cabalists by Legendary Games
  • SYSTEM: Pathfinder Second Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $12.99
  • DESCRIPTION: The cabalist is an occult spellcaster devoted to the secret mysteries of hidden spirits within the world and in worlds beyond. They tap into the hidden world of magic through their familiars, either following the teachings of a cabal like the Beastcallers, Leyline Cult, or The Seekers of Perfect Form or attempting to remain unbound to master their powers alone. Each cabalist binds with an animus like pyre, storms, portents, or wisdom, and this mystical communion shapes their eldritch power, sometimes even changing their casting tradition, with animus blessings and bonus spells, familiar adaptations, and taboos. Includes over 150 options here including nearly 50 class feats like Bizarre Weaponry, Chant, Secret Lesson, Animus Wellspring, and Toil and Trouble, general feats like Familiar Inspiration and Mystic Animal Tattoo, and spells like ice tomb, silverlight, and blood mantis clutch. Also include complete rules for nearly 20 familiars, from common toads and spiders to oozes, imps, tomes of teeth, and broomstick mimics.
33 planar compass.jpg

Planar Compass- Issue 1 by Planar Compass
  • SYSTEM: Old-School Essentials
  • RETAIL PRICE: $15
  • DESCRIPTION: Dreamhaven is called “The friendliest Port in the Planes.” Residents may be spirits recently separated from the body or visiting PCs traveling between worlds. Includes four new classes, psionic rules and over 40 psionic powers, three small adventures, and a dungeon.
33 elven towers.jpg

Elven Towers by Pelgrane Press
  • SYSTEM: 13th Age
  • RETAIL PRICE: $24.95
  • DESCRIPTION: A champion tier 13th Age adventure for 3 to 6 adventurers. PCs adventure through plotlines and options throughout the Queen’s Wood, with multiple elven-themed encounters. Ages ago the Elf Queen locked away a portion of her power in a magical vault which in the chaotic 13th Age has turned out to be a terrible idea. Over time, the original elven guardians of the vault’s keys have been stealthily defeated or corrupted; and now the keys to the Elf Queen’s power are hidden in three magical towers and the elves themselves cannot pierce their defenses. The PCs are needed.
33 character collection.jpg

Character Collection 1 | Character Collection 2 | Character Collection 3 | Character Collection 4 by Gaming Ballistic
  • SYSTEM: The Fantasy Trip
  • RETAIL PRICE: $10/$10/$15/$10
  • DESCRIPTION: Character Collection 1 has 20 experienced non-magical characters for The Fantasy Trip. Ranging from 33–41 points, it includes warriors, merchants, burglars, scouts, and spies. Plus the occasional village lout. Character Collection 2 contains 40 starting characters for the Fantasy Trip ranging form 30-33 points. All are rookies like worthy town-folk. Character Collections 3 contains 72 characters for The Fantasy Trip, each of whom exits with their own ulterior or nefarious motives. Features bandits and outlaws ranging from 30-38 points. A full dozen are an organized squad of heavily armed soldiers, freelancing in their own special way. Character Collection 4 contains 40 characters ranging from 32-40 points for The Fantasy Trip, each of whom is a Wizard with several spells and arcane abilities. Not all are adventurers thirsting for lucre or reclusive power-drunk schemers locked in a far-off tower. Others are enchanters of items or the fearless combat mage.
33 rampart modular terrain eternal catherdral.jpg

Rampart Modular Terrain: Eternal Cathedral by Archon Studio
  • SYSTEM: systemless
  • PRODUCT TYPE: 32/28mm scale modular terrain
  • RETAIL PRICE: $69
  • DESCRIPTION: Plastic unpainted miniature terrain. Preparation and assembly are required. Contains a variety of ruins and floors, torches, gargoyles, peaks, columns, and statues as well as a gate, stairs, and a ladder.

33 the drowned earth.jpg
The Drowned Earth: Firm Faction by Olmec Games
  • SYSTEM: The Drowned Earth skirmish game
  • PRODUCT TYPE: metal miniatures
  • RETAIL PRICE: $54.99
  • DESCRIPTION: Five unpainted miniature gangsters, cutthroats, and thugs requiring preparation and assembly. While made for a skirmish games, the minis would also work in sci-fi and post-apocalyptic RPGs like Gamma World and Mutant: Year Zero.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

jeffh

Adventurer
When Frog God says an adventure is for "Pathfinder", do they mean first or second edition? They're very different as I'm sure most people reading this realize, and the Noble Knight site the links go to is completely unhelpful on this point.

I can understand why they wouldn't support PF2E, but if they ever start to then I will have reason to start collecting Frog God stuff again.

You and I were talking about the change Pulp makes to classic Call of Cthulhu. Learning Pathfinder 2E would require learning a whole new game really which I mentioned does happen sometimes with new editions. Plus, for a publisher, changing all the stat block formatting and rules knowledge whoever writes and edits for you has. It would be a massive undertaking to switch from PF 1E to PF 2E I'd think from a rules writing and editing point of view.

Retreater

Legend
I can understand why they wouldn't support PF2E, but if they ever start to then I will have reason to start collecting Frog God stuff again.
I guess it doesn't hurt to ask? On their Discord I'm one of the only PF2 players (to my knowledge). Maybe if they see more interest from fans, they'll consider it.
Watching some of their behind the scenes videos, it seems like their writers will write in one system (5e, PF1, or Swords and Wizardry), then the product will get conversion by their staff to the other two systems.

You and I were talking about the change Pulp makes to classic Call of Cthulhu. Learning Pathfinder 2E would require learning a whole new game really which I mentioned does happen sometimes with new editions. Plus, for a publisher, changing all the stat block formatting and rules knowledge whoever writes and edits for you has. It would be a massive undertaking to switch from PF 1E to PF 2E I'd think from a rules writing and editing point of view.
Completely agree (thus why I can understand why they wouldn't do it). Frog God has always felt more like a group designing for what they like than for what is current, so that also weighs in a bit. Unfortunately I really love Pathfinder 2E so I can always hope someone will provide support. I am hoping, for example, Raging Swan Press eventually converts more of its modules. But the process is tricky for PF2E as it's not an easy system to do straight conversions on....and some other 3PP who tried did so with mixed results so far.

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask? On their Discord I'm one of the only PF2 players (to my knowledge). Maybe if they see more interest from fans, they'll consider it.
Watching some of their behind the scenes videos, it seems like their writers will write in one system (5e, PF1, or Swords and Wizardry), then the product will get conversion by their staff to the other two systems.
That is interesting to know....I don't really know of any venues to communicate with FFG (I pretty much rely on ENWorld for all my gaming news and info these days) but it's good to know I'm not the only one who wishes this would happen.

Retreater

Legend
Completely agree (thus why I can understand why they wouldn't do it). Frog God has always felt more like a group designing for what they like than for what is current, so that also weighs in a bit. Unfortunately I really love Pathfinder 2E so I can always hope someone will provide support. I am hoping, for example, Raging Swan Press eventually converts more of its modules. But the process is tricky for PF2E as it's not an easy system to do straight conversions on....and some other 3PP who tried did so with mixed results so far.
True, they didn't publish for 4E (back when it was Necromancer Games).
Maybe it would work for them to see about sanctioning fan conversion documents to PF2?

Remove ads

Remove ads