RPG Print News – Mithral, Rattlesnakes, and a Cask of Dwarven Whiskey

I bring you mithral, rattlesnakes, and a cask of dwarven whiskey. And that’s why we play D&D. D&D also brings back 1989 with Spelljammer which now can be combined with a murder mystery wedding adventure inspired by Jane Austin but with elves. If that isn’t enough, the Borderlands have arrived for D&D Iron Kingdoms – Requiem. And the 90s represent with a new version of Rokugan. So much D&D. But...

I bring you mithral, rattlesnakes, and a cask of dwarven whiskey. And that’s why we play D&D. D&D also brings back 1989 with Spelljammer which now can be combined with a murder mystery wedding adventure inspired by Jane Austin but with elves. If that isn’t enough, the Borderlands have arrived for D&D Iron Kingdoms – Requiem. And the 90s represent with a new version of Rokugan. So much D&D. But not all! Bunnies & Burrows is back too, but it started over a decade earlier than Spelljammer. And there is a planetary romance RPG in which aliens kidnaped humans to alien moons and now Living Metal wants to enslave or kill everyone. Plus fifty other RPGs to try.
97 spelljammer.JPG

Note:
RPG Print News covers new RPG releases and some classics, reprints, and sales available from retailers. It does not cover products that are only available directly to customers through kickstarter or as print on demand.

Spelljammer Adventures in Space (Limited Edition) by Wizards of the Coast
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: slipcase with three 64-page hardcovers, a DM screen, and map
  • RETAIL PRICE: $69.99
  • OTHER NEWS COVERAGE: Spelljammer: Adventures in Space Review
  • DESCRIPTION: The limited edition covers version of Spelljammer. Spelljammer for 2022 that is not 1989. Although the name has a really late 80s, early 90s vibe. Hammer, I mean Spelljammer, time!
97 mithral rattlesnakes whiskey.JPG

Mithral, Rattlesnakes, and a Cask of Dwarven Whiskey! (5E) | Mithral, Rattlesnakes, and a Cask of Dwarven Whiskey! (OSR) by Frog God Games
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition/OSR
  • PRODUCT TYPE: adventure
  • RETAIL PRICE: $25
  • DESCRIPTION: This is the name of my next gaming group. For four to six characters of Tier 2 (5e) or levels 5 to 7. The mad wizard Travalaz of Carterscroft has assembled a list of ingredients he needs to fashion powerful magic. Towards that end, he is sending out word throughout Eastreach Province that good gold is available for those who are willing to undertake gathering these needed materials for his arcane research. Enter the PCs who go on a scavenger hunt for dangerous unrefined mithral, live giant rattlesnakes, and a truly amazing quantity of dwarven whiskey. Finding this shopping list is only the first part of the adventure; the PCs have to acquire it and transport it back. Actually sounds a lot like forming or joining a gaming group in college actually.
97 borderlands.JPG
97 borderlands survival.JPG
97 shadow of the seeker.JPG
97 borderlands screen.JPG

Borderlands and Beyond | Borderlands Survival Guide | Shadow of the Seeker | Borderlands GM Screen by Privateer Press
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition Iron Kingdoms – Requiem
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover core supplements and screen
  • RETAIL PRICE: $49.99/$39.99/$19.99/$19.99
  • DESCRIPTION: Travel beyond the Iron Kingdom with Borderlands and Beyond. PCs can explore the elven nation of Ios, the mountain realm of the Rhulic dwarves, and the wilderness wastelands surrounding them, Contains: new character options including additional races, classes, and subclasses, backgrounds, adventuring companies, and more. A great companion is the Borderlands Survival Guide. Presented by skilled monster hunter Alten Ashely and his associates, this book contains new optional and variant rules. Includes: new rules for hazards and diseases, an all-new Stress system designed to represent the psychological scars adventures must deal with, new mythical wonderous item and magical weapons unique to these lands, and monsters who call the Borderlands their home. An adventure for characters of levels 1-5, in Shadow of the Seeker the undead Seeker Theryen Eyvreyn with an army of soulless assassins at his disposal, sets out to replace the gods themselves. Standing between him and his insane ambition are the PCs. A sturdy four-panel Game Master’s Screen has beautiful imagery and multiple helpful tables for quick reference for combat, and exploration. Also includes references for the warbeasts introduced in Borderlands and Beyond.
97 an unexpected wedding.JPG

An Unexpected Wedding Invitation by Midnight Tower
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $29.99
  • DESCRIPTION: A romantic mystery adventure inspired by Jane Austen. The PCs are cordially invited to an elvish wedding and an extraordinary evening filled with possibilities for both romance and friendship or social disaster and dangerous duels. But there’s more! Before the evening is over, one of the guests is found dead and the PCs have to figure out what has happened without drawing the attention of the other guests. In addition to the adventure, it includes the compendium Intrigues & Intentions. The adventure is designed as a level 3 adventure but is scalable.
97 adventures in rokugan.JPG

Adventures in Rokugan by Edge Studio
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $49.99
  • DESCRIPTION: Have you ever wanted to dungeon crawl and kill monsters in Rokugan? No? Me either, but now you can! With the Great Clans distracted on all fronts, it falls on brave warriors and adventurers to protect the common folk and fight these threats. If the PCs don’t have what it takes to defeat these ancient evils then the Emerald Empire will not stand for another thousand years and into D&D One.
97 bunnies.JPG

Bunnies & Burrows by Frog God Games
  • SYSTEM: unique
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover core rulebook
  • RETAIL PRICE: $45
  • DESCRIPTION: PCs are animal characters contending with enemies and hazards in a world of nature. Published by Fantasy Games Unlimited in 1976, the game centered on intelligent rabbits. As rabbits, PCs are faced with dangers mirroring those in the real world. The only true “monsters” in the game are humans, but there are many predators, traps, and natural hazards. The PCs’ position in the food chain promotes an emphasis on role-playing and problem solving over combat.
97 planets of peril.JPG

Planets of Peril by Precis Intermedia
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover core rulebook
  • RETAIL PRICE: $24.95
  • DESCRIPTION: Humans were abducted to the Moons of Kerogo by aliens now extinct but now Living Metal wants to enslave or kill all the humans. It is time for the PCs to take up the sword once again. Adventure and romance await. Uses a simple rules system that rates every skill, challenge, and foe by a single die (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, or d20; and rarely d100). This means that only two dice are rolled for actions, one for each side, representing either ability or difficulty. The difference between the two rolls determines the degree of success or failure. Features: random encounter tables for cities and the wilderness, guides for creating new animals and societies, order and organizations for use as story ideas, four species of man, four alien races, ancient artifacts and a sample adventure.
97 tiny tome.JPG

Tiny Tome by Long Tail Games
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $19.95
  • DESCRIPTION: A book of 50 single-page RPGs from dozens of different creators collected from submissions in December 2021.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

aramis erak

Legend
I got my Spelljammer set "tonight¹" - it was waiting in the drive when I got home. I've already read the first book...
It is crystal clear on how to make a helm... (pun intentional.)
It's a bit on the vague side about actually making new ships
It's got the typical Tasha's bland-mode race/species attribute mods.
It's got the Dralasite (Plasmoid) and Yazirian (Hadozee) fantasy versions. No Vrusk; thri-kreen instead.

Given the current trends of "rehabilitating the evil races," and "genericizing the attribute mods," I'm kind of annoyed that there's no char gen for Neogi nor Beholders... And no convenient template adjustments, either...

The ship assortment is good, not amazing; many are very close to the originals.
Art is well up to 5E standards - lush, full color.

It's got me thinking of running D&D again; I've only used original as reading and wargaming materials; the one spelljammer helm I gave an AD&D2 group, they never tried to take it above 2000' MSL...

1: While it's 01:08 thursday, I've yet to sleep since wed 09:30... so mentally, it's still "Wednesday" to me.

According to the page on DriveThru, Frog God's version of B&B was posted there in 2019. So I'm not sure how "new" it is; but definitely newer than 2nd ed or GURPS B&B...

It was just printed in 2022. So may be a next printing. Still, if an RPG sells well enough to get a new printing it will get covered here. That is good news for B&B gamers since it would indicate more support should continue.

Remove ads

Remove ads