RPG Print News – Something is Wrong with the Chickens and More

Eldritch horror finds chickens (I have been a Game Mother but never a Chicken Master. Yet). Dungeons & Dragons gets two new rule softcovers and lots of dragons. I don’t know why it took this long to get a Power Rangers RPG but I’m glad to say it gets support with an adventure and maps. Pugmire gets rodents, Exalted Funeral has heavy metal old school support for three RPGs, and Old-School...

Eldritch horror finds chickens (I have been a Game Mother but never a Chicken Master. Yet). Dungeons & Dragons gets two new rule softcovers and lots of dragons. I don’t know why it took this long to get a Power Rangers RPG but I’m glad to say it gets support with an adventure and maps. Pugmire gets rodents, Exalted Funeral has heavy metal old school support for three RPGs, and Old-School Essentials gets another adventure.

108 something is wrong with the chickens.JPG

Note: RPG Print News covers new RPG releases and some classics, reprints, and sales available from retailers. And eldritch chickens. It does not cover products that are only available directly to customers through kickstarter or as print on demand.

Something is Wrong with the Chickens by moreblueberries
  • SYSTEM: unique rules light (really what else could it be?) 3d6
  • PRODUCT TYPE: two pages with one page of core rules
  • RETAIL PRICE: $5
  • DESCRIPTION: Another RPG that makes this weekly column a rough gem that sometimes gets polished to a high shine. Reminds me of Gallus Gallus 5/13. An RPG of chickens, eldritch horror, and revenge against Bryson Foods. They are Chickens. They are Eldritch Horrors. They. Must. Make. Bryson. Pay. So according to the Chicken Master (what?) a portal opened to The Other, an indescribable dimension of horror and tentacles. Each chicken began manifesting the traits of distant cosmic entities. And tentacles. What a cluster cluck. Six chicken types from Chicken to Turkey to the enigmatic Nugget and Six Eldritch Traits. Random tables. Crucially, this also includes a rollable table of puns.
108 the dragons hoard 22.JPG
108 the dragons hoard 23.JPG

The Dragon's Hoard - Issue #22 | The Dragon's Hoard - Issue #23 by Legendary Games
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover supplement s
  • RETAIL PRICE: $12.99 each
  • DESCRIPTION: The Dragon’s Hoard #22 has magical items like the blast helmet and sapling rod, new spells such as abundant ammunition and daybreak arrow, new class options like the boarder and android, and monsters like the treacherous raktavarna rakshasa and the eternal time dragon. The Dragon’s Hoard #23 contains magical items like the dread yellow sign, a double-sized Basker’s Books featuring new spells for every letter of the alphabet and for every spellcasting class from amplify elixir to zenith trajectory along with king's castle, and phantasmal revenge, and creatures include the spectacular solar dragon and the Great Old One Hastur the Unspeakable.
108 the game masters book of legendary dragons.JPG

The Game Master's Book of Legendary Dragons by Macmillan Publishing
  • SYSTEM: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition
  • PRODUCT TYPE: hardcover supplement
  • RETAIL PRICE: $29.99
  • DESCRIPTION: Includes more than two dozen dragons, each of which comes with a complete backstory, a history, motivations, lair actions, legendary combat actions, and more. These creatures are designed to be a worthy focus to any campaign, whether as a final boss for a high-level campaign end, or as a motivating force that runs in the background of a lower level adventure. Also has new dragon-kin, wyverns, drakes, kobolds and dragon races, plus new dragon-related organizations, skills, classes and magic, including dragon riders, dragon hunters, enhanced spells, aerial combat and airship options, dragon cults, magic items and more.
108 adventures in angel grove.JPG

Adventures in Angel Grove by Renegade Game Studios
  • SYSTEM: Power Rangers RPG
  • RETAIL PRICE: $45
  • DESCRIPTION: Go Go Power Rangers! A four-part adventure for four to seven characters level 1 through 5. Rita Repulsa’s forces are attacking Angel Grove, as always, but this time people are missing from all over the city, Zords are on the fritz, and it seems like even Rita doesn’t know what’s gone wrong. Inside: new threats to fight, new maps for tactical combat, and a map of the Angel Grove metro from Trang Canyon to Angel Pier.
108 squeaks in the deep.JPG

Squeaks in the Deep by Onyx Path Publishing
  • SYSTEM: Pugmire
  • RETAIL PRICE: $50
  • DESCRIPTION: Rats and mice live in the margins of the empires of dogs and cats, with homes that connect to the Underneath — a vast collection of warrens, tunnels, caves, and other hidden places. It is a dangerous place full of unexplained phenomena and terrifying creatures. But it is also full of wonders of ages past and the thrill of discovery. Some highlights include: two new species: rats and mice, six rodent callings, psionic rules, information on the Underneath, new enemies, and an adventure featuring the Underneath with both Pugmire and Monarchies starting points.
108 fortles.JPG
108 enter the DOME.JPG
108 the million islands.JPG

Fortles, Adventure Journal | Enter the DOME-icile | The Million Islands of Doom by Exalted Funeral
  • SYSTEM: Troika!/Mork Borg/fantasy RPG
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover supplements
  • RETAIL PRICE: $15/$5/$15
  • DESCRIPTION: Fortles, Adventure Journal is a travelogue of the Sorcerer Emeritus Salvador Moss’s time spent barge hopping across the hump-back sky in search of a comprehensive understanding of the Fortle. This creature is seen in nearly every sphere of creation, but there has yet to be a study which details the specifics of these marvelous beasts and the people who cohabitate with them. Enter the DOME-icile is a dungeon that takes place in a giant rotting skull. For GMs with tons of cool magical stuff and nowhere to put it. Until now. Beneath a slab of stone embedded in the rock, The Giant’s Skull is found. Within it, an Arch Wizard of the inquisition of HE. The gray matter, rife with malice, is the perfect catalyst for progressing the cursed calendar. Somewhere far, far away from the comfort of your own home, there’s a stretch of sea so vast it holds The Million Islands of Doom. Each region is divided by their Dooms; apocalyptic events that are threatening the very existence of not only the islands, but the world itself. Features 36 explorable hexes including sky pirates, a strange crystal drug that lets a person live inside someone else's mind, and Doom Cultists who are trying to summon an ancient demon through a volcanic eruption.
108 the child thieves.JPG

The Child Thieves - Module S1 by Necrotic Gnome
  • SYSTEM: Old-School Essentials (Basic D&D)
  • PRODUCT TYPE: softcover adventure
  • RETAIL PRICE: $12
  • DESCRIPTION: A 3rd to 5th level adventure. A piper returns to the poorest district of the city using his magic flute each year to rid the people of a plague of rats. Every year since the rats have come again, so has the piper, and his price goes up. The money of the poor has not. This year they could not pay. The piper left angry and now the children are gone. Large rat-like tracks were found in the district leading from the homes of the missing children to the storm drains. Though the people have little to offer the PCs, if the PCs don’t rescue the children no one will.

Charles Dunwoody

Charles Dunwoody

Von Ether

Legend
Squeaks in the Deep is not a a cheesy supplement.

While Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau gives just a whisker to the post-apocalyptic background. For those two games, you are playing anthropomorphic D&D most of the time when your canine PCs go out for walkies.

In Squeaks, you really burrow into the post-apocalyptic past of that world. (That's more literal than pun.)

Bit of a bummer that mythos jokes just never stop.

I honestly didn't see it as a joke, but I can see how it could come across that way. I saw it more as absurbist Mythos which actually makes sense: both intentionally ridiculous or bizarre; surreal: and relating to or supporting the belief that human beings exist in a purposeless, chaotic universe. Both parts really do apply to the Mythos with this RPG adding in the intentionally ridiculous part.

I actually do want to play an enigmatic Chicken Nugget in a Chicken Master's eggcellent adventure (hat tip to Egg). Even the word enigmatic makes for a good Mythos word. Plus I get to combine puns, Cthulhu, and chicken nuggets which are three things that I didn't know until now really should be combined together.

Remove ads

Remove ads