• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPG systems you liked -- much to your surprise

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Ars Magica. While complex, I liked the magic a great deal, but the whole setting is what rocks.

Godlike. I had no idea, but man that thing can be rough. Makes it fun.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I also approach a majority of RPGs optimistically, thus the small number that pleasantly surprised me.

Unfortunately, because of this, I often get nasty surprises when I run into bad games.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
francisca said:
Shadowrun

yeahthat.gif

TheGM

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:

I just agreed to a Shadowrun game this weekend. Never played before, never even read the books... Not a fan of the genre, but doing a friend a favor and letting him "warm up" with us newb runners. Maybe I'll have to come back after Saturday and add it to my list :cool:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
TheGM said:
I just agreed to a Shadowrun game this weekend. Never played before, never even read the books... Not a fan of the genre, but doing a friend a favor and letting him "warm up" with us newb runners. Maybe I'll have to come back after Saturday and add it to my list

It's a fun game.

I often compared 2e D&D and 2e Shadowrun to cars, a VW Bug and a Jaguar respectively. The VW Bug was kind of bland and clunky but it would get you to where you wanted to go. The Jaguar was a sweet ride and drove like you were in heaven ... you just couldn't depend on it not breaking down.

isidorus

Explorer
Supporter
Shadowrun-- did not have high expecations when it first came out. Bought and haved played/owned rules of the various editions. Looking foward to 4th edition.

Castles and Crusades-- peaked my interest but even with the reviews, I was not sure but been hooked ever since.

Harp-- I was a big Rolemaster fan and was not to sure if Harp could do any better. Surprised that it has become one of my favorite games.

Vampire: The requiem: I was suprised that with the game and it blew my socks off better then the oWod. The WoD rules kick.

Witchcraft: Seemed strange but bought the book and loved it. The only sad thing was I could never find anyone to play it. :( :(

isidorus said:
Shadowrun-- did not have high expecations when it first came out. Bought and haved played/owned rules of the various editions. Looking foward to 4th edition.

Castles and Crusades-- peaked my interest but even with the reviews, I was not sure but been hooked ever since.

Harp-- I was a big Rolemaster fan and was not to sure if Harp could do any better. Surprised that it has become one of my favorite games.

Vampire: The requiem: I was suprised that with the game and it blew my socks off better then the oWod. The WoD rules kick.

Witchcraft: Seemed strange but bought the book and loved it. The only sad thing was I could never find anyone to play it. :( :(

Heh...I think I just found my evil twin... :p

Nomad4life

First Post
Nobody here probably even remembers the Amazing Engine system. It really wasn’t particularly noteworthy, unique, or special in any way.

That’s why it was such a shock that our Bughunters campaign still remains on our Top Ten list of the most fun we’ve had in a summer. To this day, I can’t explain why. It was just… So much fun. We still cite moments from that game to each other to make ourselves roar with wild laughter.

I guess I don’t need to mention Blue Rose, since it seems to have caught everyone off-guard.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Nomad4life said:
Nobody here probably even remembers the Amazing Engine system. It really wasn’t particularly noteworthy, unique, or special in any way.

That’s why it was such a shock that our Bughunters campaign still remains on our Top Ten list of the most fun we’ve had in a summer. To this day, I can’t explain why. It was just… So much fun. We still cite moments from that game to each other to make ourselves roar with wild laughter.

I guess I don’t need to mention Blue Rose, since it seems to have caught everyone off-guard.

I loved the Amazing Engine system! I ran For Faerie, Queen, and Country, and tried to talk the group into Tabloid! as well. So not a pleasant surprise, I went in with both eyes open, and a what if scenario where those two little English schoolgirls issued in a return of the Fey. (As apposed to an amusing hoax.)
The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads