RPG Theory- The Limits of My Language are the Limits of My World

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
ENWorld has to be one of the worst places for anyone to go jockeying for social power or clout in the entire internet.

Perhaps. But, there then follow two questions, which are partially linked:

1) Is the fact that is is a bad place to do it going to stop anyone?
2) Are they, in fact, aware that they are doing it for that reason?

Insert my several-times-noted bits about the human limbic system here.

Aldarc

Legend
Perhaps. But, there then follow two questions, which are partially linked:

1) Is the fact that is is a bad place to do it going to stop anyone?
2) Are they, in fact, aware that they are doing it for that reason?

Insert my several-times-noted bits about the human limbic system here.
Whatever the case, the clear answer is to accuse others of jockeying for status while ignoring or pretending that one's own behavior doesn't apply.

Careful everyone. If you're very quiet, you can hear it scratching somewhere behind the walls, questioning the purpose and motives behind criticism, ultimately turning all discourse into a recursive dismantling of discourse itself.

There, do you hear it? Listen:

People like what they like.

Wow. Really makes you think, don't it?

Thomas Shey

Legend
Not sure if being subtly sarcastic or obviously sarcastic. Really depends on the targets, here.

I'll leave it as an exercise for the student, and just say I find the way the tone of these things works out pretty consistently disappointing. I don't know why I expect different since I've been participating in such discussions for onto 40 years now, but hope always springs eternal and then falls on the rocks.

Yora

Legend
ENWorld has to be one of the worst places for anyone to go jockeying for social power or clout in the entire internet. I suppose, though, that I should not underestimate either the Narcissism of Small Differences or Sayre's Law: "In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake."
I'll add you to that Yora's Law:

"When people start breaking quoted posts into individual paragraphs and sentences to reply to each of them separately, it's no longer about adding to the discussion, but winning a fight."

Which so far I've not seen in this thread, which is something.

Aldarc

Legend
I'll add you to that Yora's Law:
My
"When people start breaking quoted posts
quoting
into individual paragraphs and
you
sentences to reply to each of them separately,
this
it's no longer about adding to the discussion,
way