• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGA: no longer doing Cthulhu's..who's stepping up?

Emirikol

Adventurer
The RPGA is no longer carrying Cthulhu scenarios. Who has stepped up to the plate to take their place? What are conventions doing? Is there a "bank" of Cthulhu scenarios available anymore?

jh

I can't speak for other cons, but I know what AnonyCon is doing: we're writing our own. It's the same thing that we're doing with Classics in general.

Incidentally, if other conventions were interested in second-running the various "AnonyCon Original" games, including the Cthulhu ones, it could probably be arranged pretty easily. By this point, we have a pretty good library of D&D and Cthulhu classics (something like 10-15 rounds of D&D I would guess, and 3 or 4 of Cthulhu).

Emirikol

Adventurer
Cerebral Paladin said:
I can't speak for other cons, but I know what AnonyCon is doing: we're writing our own. It's the same thing that we're doing with Classics in general. Incidentally, if other conventions were interested in second-running the various "AnonyCon Original" games, including the Cthulhu ones, it could probably be arranged pretty easily. By this point, we have a pretty good library of D&D and Cthulhu classics (something like 10-15 rounds of D&D I would guess, and 3 or 4 of Cthulhu).

That's great. WOuldn't it be even greater if there was an online "bank" of scenarios like the RPGA used to have?

What the hell is Chaosium doing? THey just write a single scenario for a con and then throw it in the trash? There's nothing on their site.

How long before the writers burn out and there is no more Cthulhu at cons? That's what I worry about.

jh

kenobi65

First Post
I'm not sure if this qualifies as "news", however. I don't think that RPGA has been offering Cthulhu scenarios for some time (maybe years, even).

Emirikol

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
Chaosium is, in my opinion, perhaps not the best run company in the industry.

That's kind of one of my beefs. They're sitting on a HUGE license that I happen to like and not really doing anything to grow the industry. They put out a book or two..go to a convention or two... Put out a "new edition" that is little more than cosmetic...

Chaosium blows.

Unlike Mongoose..who owns the Conan line..that seems to be putting out nothing but thousands of pages of slipshod and hurried crap. ;) Speaking of companies that aren't helping conventions...

Am I off base?

jh

dpmcalister

Explorer
In the UK there's a group called the Kult of Keepers that go around every convention running CoC scenarios. Very successful they are too :)

themaxx

First Post
I'd love to contact other convention organizers or enthusiasts in North America who are interested in seeing Call of Cthulhu and other games with characters provided continue to prosper in convention environments.

We love the deep and challenging roleplaying experiences that come from games like this at AnonyCon , and we don't intent to let it die, no matter what the RPGA, Chaosium or anyone else does or fails to do.

If anyone is in the northeast (we take place in Connecticut each December) and is interested in helping to keep this alive, feel free to contact me directly about writing, planning, volunteering or playtesting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads