#RPGaDAY Day 25: What is the best way to thank your GM?

It’s August and that means that the annual #RPGaDAY ‘question a day’ is here to celebrate “everything cool, memorable and amazing about our hobby.” This year we’ve decided to join in the fun and will be canvassing answers from the ENWorld crew, columnists and friends in the industry to bring you some of our answers. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too… So, without further ado, here’s Day 25 of #RPGaDAY 2017!

It’s August and that means that the annual #RPGaDAY ‘question a day’ is here to celebrate “everything cool, memorable and amazing about our hobby.” This year we’ve decided to join in the fun and will be canvassing answers from the ENWorld crew, columnists and friends in the industry to bring you some of our answers. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too… So, without further ado, here’s Day 25 of #RPGaDAY 2017!

#RPGaDAY Question 25: What is the best way to thank your GM?

Michael J Tresca: GMs pay for a lot of "hosting" fees because they're often the organizers of the game as well. Offering to pay for snacks, drinks, or even a gift card to DriveThruRPG, Amazon, or Nobleknight would work well. I don't generally recommend players buy RPG accessories for their GM; if they're like me, I have very specific needs for my game.

Darryl Mott: Two things. One, food. Two, buy the &@$£ing rulebook. Maybe I’ve just gotten saddled with bad groups in my past, but I seem to be the only one who owns the rulebook so my copy gets passed around constantly (adding to the wear and tear). And not only have I had to come straight from work to run sessions with no chance for dinner, but I’ve had players (who knew that because I'd talk about keeping granola bars in my gaming bag) come in with bags full of fast food and NOTHING FOR ME.
Looking back, I think I know why I play most of my games online these days…

Angus Abranson: The Amber Diceless Rolelplaying Game had a nice little mechanic in it that allowed players to spend extra points on their character if they did certain things called Player Contributions. Some of these were great for the campaign and also the feel of the game, such as keeping an in-character diary of events, thoughts, etc, or if they are of an artistic bent to draw Trump cards for the player characters and notable locations. Others were GM-rewarding or GM-helping which the player would undertake to do each session. Some examples of this was to help the GM with photcopying, typing up notes, supplying the GM with drinks/snacks/food each session. In one of the games we played one of the players got points for supplying the GM with cigarettes for the session. Obviously some of those notions are very much the sign of the early 90’s but the Player Contributions mechanic was a really nice way of promoting (bribing) players to help the GM in some way or another.

Shane Hensley (Savage Worlds, Deadlands): Put the phone away during your session. Pay attention, be engaged, ask questions. Get into it and get the rest of the group excited as well. Know the basics of the game you're playing and revel in this most divine of hobbies we're all fortunate enough to be part of.

Laura Hoffman (Black Book Editions; Polaris RPG): I think thanking a GM is a super important point. I was lucky enough to get to game with a lot of amazing GM’s and sadly with a lot of player’s that treated them like the one bringing the pizza to the table. I always try to make sure the GM sees investment, either by creating a backstory for my character, some art, some special gimmick for the game session. Or by helping organizing the evening event, covering the food or location for example. And my first reaction after a gaming session will always be to honestly thank a GM that made me spend a great evening giving feedback on which parts I enjoyed and what I learned thanks to the adventure.

Shannon Appelcline (Designers & Dragons; RPGnet): Show strong player agency! Actively interact with the world and its characters. Push for what you're interested in. Don't disrupt the game but do make it your own. (Also, bring chocolate.)

Dennis Detwiller (Creator of Delta Green, Arc Dream Publishing): Pay attention at the table. Work hard to fill in the blanks on your character. Engage, question and help expand the world the GM is trying to make!

Mike Mason (Chaosium; Games Workshop): What is the best way to thank your GM. Turning up on time, being focused on the game, and appreciating the time and effort that the GM goes into when prepping a game. Also, the odd beer or cup of tea is greatly appreciated.

Rich Lescouflair (Alligator Alley Entertainment; Esper Genesis 5E): All a good GM needs is to hear that their players are having a fantastic time.

Aaron Hubrich (Jetpack 7; Gods & Goddesses): Pay it forward and help them buy adventures, supplements, figures, etc. It will only help the sessions and it may even allow for an occasional bit of mercy from the GM.

Mike Lafferty (BAMF Podcast; Fainting Goat Games): I believe pizza and alcohol are the best methods. Your mileage may vary.

Andrew Peregrine (Doctor Who, Victoriana, Cabal): Frankly, pay attention. I’ve had this with my group and been guilty of it myself as well. In this age of iPads plenty of people are looking at screens during the game. Nothing is worse to see from the GM’s chair as a group only half listening while they check Twitter. Even if it’s not your turn, listen to the story so you know what’s going on! It starts with ‘I’m ready, I was just waiting for everyone else’ and then everyone is doing it ‘while waiting’. Your email and Twitter will wait until a break. Don’t wait for the GM to say ‘are you ready’ ask the GM if they are ready because you can’t wait to get gaming, and then give the game your full attention (even when it’s not your spotlight time). Best thankyou ever.

T.R. Knight (Freelance Editor): As simple as saying “Thank You” and really meaning it. Sometimes it is so easy to just get so comfortable in your gaming group that you forget how much time your GM puts into preparing for game night. Remember to thank them personally after every session for the incredible story they narrate and worlds they create for you to adventure in.

Simon Brake (Stygian Fox): It’s always great to hear that the players have enjoyed the game, particularly if they weren’t sure they would. Although strictly not an easy way to thank your GM in the moment, one of the best things I like to hear is players still fondly remembering a session, years down the line. And don’t grumble that the game is unfair somehow, unless you genuinely think the GM is picking on you, because the chances are it’s just that the game is skewed towards giving the characters a hard time, rather than the players (of course, if it’s a genuine concern raise it with the GM – just be aware that it probably isn’t… if the GM is out to get you, he’s probably out to get everyone else too).

Richard August (Conan, Codex Infernus): Regular gifts of highly calorific food and standing ovations. But one out of the two is fine. Especially as, if the first gift is sufficiently great then delivering the second should be virtually impossible.

Kevin Watson (Dark Naga Adventures): Help clean up, bring extra drink (mindful of what she or he drinks) or snacks. If nor playing at their space, help them load their stuff. GM’s usually have twice the stuff of a player or more.

David Donachie (Solipsist, Starblazer Adventures): Pay attention, be involved in the game, turn up, have fun. While no one says no to the occasional sweet, snack, or thank you, it's really about the game. If I'm running a game and I can see that everyone is focussed, engaged, and enjoying themselves, what more could I ask.

Ken Spencer (Rocket Age; Why Not Games): You want to thank the GM? Tell them you had fun. Gifts are nice, especially those things GMs have to shell out money for that players do not such as minis, maps, and supplements. However, that is not necessary, because you GM to have fun and enable our players to have fun. When you tell a story about some memorable, funny, heart wrenching, or remarkable event from a game session, you are complementing the GM. Also, minis and maps. Just saying.

Mike Myler (EN Publishing, Legendary Games): Be a good player. Show up on time. Know what your character can (and cannot possibly) do.

Federico Sohns (Nibiru RPG): I don't think a GM should be very far off from her/his fellow players, though I think that the best way to give "thanks" would be to come up with creative ideas, exercised within each PCs action, to move the story forward or to explore an interesting side of the game's world. That, and food. Never not give your GM food.

Darren Pearce (EN Publishing; Savage Mojo): Sacrifices of cookies and chocolate… er, where was I? Honestly, I for me it’s when people talk about the games I’ve run. I get a big smile when they still talk about events or NPCs or a place I’ve brought to life. Players having fun is my biggest reward.

Eran Aviram (Up to Four Players; City of Mist): Surprise them with something that shows you're willing to invest in the game. For example, show up to the next session with the full 3-verses long poem you and your fellow players wrote, the one that last session you described as part of a persuasion roll.

Martin Greening (Azure Keep, Ruma: Dawn of Empire): Sometimes it’s not possible to show your appreciation for a GM by pitching in for snacks or materials. In those cases, I find just telling the GM “Thank You” and what you enjoyed about their preparation/portrayal goes a long way.

Lynne Hardy (Cogs, Cakes & Swordsticks; Achtung! Cthulhu) Just in case any of my players are reading this: Peanut butter M&Ms. Or cheese, as long as it's not blue cheese - never eat anything that smells worse than things you've had to dispose of as biological hazards...

Uli Lindner (Space: 1889; Clockwork Publishing): Paying attention during game nights is a good start.
clip_image002.png
But telling them once in a while how you enjoyed a particular session or NPC or scene just makes their day - so just do it!

Stephanie McAlea (Stygian Fox Publishing, The Things We Leave Behind): Turning up on time and putting your phone away.

Garry Harper (Modiphius Entertainment; The Role Play Haven): Constructive feedback, a smile with a thank you.

Simon Burley (Golden Heroes, The Super Hack): Simple. If you've just played in a game at a convention - TAKE YOUR CHARACTER SHEET AWAY WITH YOU. If, like me, it's a GM who's running one of their own games then you've given them hope that you might actually buy the thing. However, even if they're just running a bog standard game of D&D 5th or similar, it makes them think you want to take a souvenir of a great game or want to borrow some of your wonderful ideas. It takes hours to prepare a game - especially if you're using pre-generated characters - and a table full of discarded character sheets at the end of the session makes you feel like it was a disposable/forgettable event for the players. (And you never know, you might enjoy starting to keep a scrapbook of your convention characters.)

Originally created by Dave Chapman (Doctor Who: Adventures in Time & Space; Conspiracy X) #RPGaDAY os now being caretakered by the crew over at RPGBrigade. We hope you’ll join in, in the comments section, and share your thoughts with us too!
SaveSave

Venley

First Post
For my main gaming group, the stories between them or to me (email or phone) that occur between sessions are the best for then I know just how much they have bought into the situation and characters. That plus the fact they are willing to travel a couple of hundred miles many times a year for a gaming weekend.

The boxes of chocolates, packets of jaffa cakes, etc. are very nice too :) .

Mercule

Adventurer
I'll admit that an Amazon gift card would be nice. Really, though, the money is me investing in my own fun.

The big thing: Work with the group. Don't insist on that naive myconid druid when the session zero momentum pushed all the other players towards stealthy, urban characters in the local thieves' guild. If everyone else wants to accept the meta-bounds for the sake of the published adventure, don't decide that your real goal in life is to destroy the Emerald Claw. If everyone else is playing stock sword-and-sorcery tropes, think really hard about that steampunk inspired Gatling crossbow, duster, and sunglasses even if you aren't asking for any mechanical benefits from it. And... don't sit in the corner and sulk. If we're all engaged, we'll have plenty of energy for the next game and you might be able to set the tone for it.

collin

Explorer
One of our group recently asked if we would all chip in to buy a new game for our GM to thank him for all the work he puts into to us having fun. We all did chip in ($5/person), and it was nice to give some appreciation to someone who does a lot of work which probably gets taken for granted.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
This is a good question, and one that makes me think, and also (if I'm to be transparent) a little sad. I rarely play games as a player. I have, for decades, almost exclusively been the GM. It's a job I enjoy, and would rather perform over the long term than playing. When I do play, I make sure to thank the other players and GM, although that's about it.

As for me as the GM, my group rarely says or does anything other than show up and play. We have a good time, and I'm told that they're eager to play - just had a buddy who's in my group say he's "looking forward to throwing some dice tomorrow" in regards to our next session.

But anything else explicit as a means of thanks for the work I put in? No, not really anything. Bummer. I'm not a person who needs atta-boys or personal parades, but a little acknowledgement now and again would go a long way.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
This is a good question, and one that makes me think, and also (if I'm to be transparent) a little sad. I rarely play games as a player. I have, for decades, almost exclusively been the GM. It's a job I enjoy, and would rather perform over the long term than playing. When I do play, I make sure to thank the other players and GM, although that's about it.

As for me as the GM, my group rarely says or does anything other than show up and play. We have a good time, and I'm told that they're eager to play - just had a buddy who's in my group say he's "looking forward to throwing some dice tomorrow" in regards to our next session.

But anything else explicit as a means of thanks for the work I put in? No, not really anything. Bummer. I'm not a person who needs atta-boys or personal parades, but a little acknowledgement now and again would go a long way.

...and to be clear, I'm not sitting here listening to My Chemical Romance, getting all shades of emo. The post just made me realize how little most people take the small amount of time needed to be appreciative. We move about our lives and do our thing, and many of us just aren't very intentional about showing our thanks. Instead, many spend their time sharpshooting others about important things like Starfinder canon.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Most seem to say - pay atttentin and be engaged. People have attention spans of gnats and think Twitter and Facebook have to be checked every 15 minutes to keep up with the jones' encase they miss out on an oh so important post or tweet.

So pay attention is mine as well :)

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Staying engaged. Being there for the group as a decent player and decent human being. Basically not being a selfish, self-involved sociopath.

Last edited by a moderator:

I’ll agree that players showing up consistently and showing up on time definitely make me feel appreciated. Also, when a player specifically mentions how awesome a particular moment was, a few sessions after it happened.

I kinda feel like a gift card would be overkill, though. A bottle of wine or bourbon, on the other hand…

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads