Rpgnow creditcard information stolen

DaveMage said:
I don't see my name on any hacker site.

Good luck with getting things straightened out, catsclaw!

I Googled my name too, just in case. My name is only on 3 sites that I could see and I know exactly what all of them are.

Olaf the Stout

JEL

First Post
DanMcS said:
Reported on rpg.net, and confirmed by Steve Wieck. I wonder why they store creditcard numbers at all.

Not sure why they would; it doesn't make a lot of sense unless they had people buying stuff in installments. Storing card numbers is allowable, but there are some very strict rules on keeping the information secure. They can be looking at some stiff fines from Visa and Master Card and likely losing their ability to accept credit cards, if they're found to be at fault.

Festivus

First Post
What you should do is put a fraud alert on your credit account if you are one of the affected. I recently got one of those letters due to California law stating you must notify someone if their data has been compromised. It is painless and took me about 5 minutes to accomplish.

catsclaw227

First Post
I've already send something to Google as well as RPGNow. I hope this is the same page of information that they already know about, and it isn't another cached page.

I haven't had any erroneous charges on my credit card yet, but you can bet your sweet sister that I am gonna get this card cancelled. I feel bad for the other people on this (rather large) list....

catsclaw227

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
I tried Googling my name. Its a nightmare wading through everything. I'll just hope I'm not on that list...

I had a lot of entries too, so I googled my name and rpgnow -- after the various reviews, I found the offending page.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
catsclaw227 said:
And I also wonder if, in the merger, the credit card data was combined between RPGNow, DTRPG and Enworld Gamestore. That would really suck if all three were now affected.

EN World GameStore was not part of the merger; it was merely closed. And ENGS didn't store cc info at all.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*pats Morrus on the head for trying to be the voice of reason in this semi-storm of insanity*

I'm just glad I have no money for them to steal. Honest fellas! :D ;)

Remove ads