• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGNow paid reviewers

Vigilance

Explorer
tmaaas said:
I think it's a great idea.

Personally, a few consistent reviewers who do a good job are worth more to me than "customer reviews." In particular, once I learn to recognize a reviewer and learn how their tastes/ratings relate to my own, their reviews become much more valueable. I usually don't quite trust an random customer's review (unless it is very well-written and gives concrete reasons to back up opinions) because I don't know the bias of the writer.

Agreed.

And again, this change isnt from some pointy haired boss who decided out of the blue to do it.

More reviews- and better reviews- has been a consistent request of the site's customers in the last several polls.

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Psion said:
One wonders why they link RPGnet reviews at the bottom of RPGnow products, but not ENworld reviews.

I have no idea. Im not affiliated with ENWorld- I just work for RPGObjects and own a (very very) small company- which gets me the vendor emails.

And I have gathered from those vendor mailings that the current staff reviews, along with some other proposed changes to the site's structure, were driven by customer comments.

Also to Starglim- if compensating reviewers with product is wrong, then over 50% of all reviews are "disinterested".

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Starglim said:
That may well be the case, nor would I accuse anyone of dishonesty or shilling in their reviews. I draw a distinction, though, between disinterested reviews and actual customer ratings.

This isnt you?

This reads as Compensated reviewer=disinterested reviewer to me.

Which I can see as a point of view- just pointing out that many many reviewers are compensated in one fashion or another.

Starglim

Explorer
Vigilance said:
This isnt you?

This reads as Compensated reviewer=disinterested reviewer to me.

Which I can see as a point of view- just pointing out that many many reviewers are compensated in one fashion or another.

No, my point was that Reviewer /= Buyer in this model. Whether the reviewer received money, product, or nothing at all is a separate and not very important question. Nor do I think that it's wrong to review a product. It's a complete straw man.

Crothian

First Post
Starglim said:
No, my point was that Reviewer /= Buyer in this model. Whether the reviewer received money, product, or nothing at all is a separate and not very important question. Nor do I think that it's wrong to review a product. It's a complete straw man.

THen why is a buyer review better then a reviewer review?

Crothian

First Post
Starglim said:
It isn't better. But it would be a mistake to present the latter as the former.

But in reading a review, if the person doesn't specifically say they bought it or they got it for free; how can you tell which is which?

Starglim

Explorer
Crothian said:
THen why is a buyer review better then a reviewer review?

To expand on this, there are at least two significant differences between a buyer and a (non-customer) reviewer.

• The buyer has chosen to seek out the product because she has a direct use for it in her game. This means she has a specific and positive expectation of what it ought to deliver, rather than what the author might have felt like writing.
  • The buyer has every right to make a harsh response if she finds the product's value is inadequate, for whatever reason, where a reviewer has a somewhat more friendly relationship with the vendor. Again I absolutely don't refer to a financial relationship.

A buyer review is not better - in many cases they are biased and unfair - but it's a perspective that I find more useful.

Remove ads