• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

RPGNow Sales Numbers Update

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Nellisir said:
...lost in the melee of general stuffness.

If that's not a sig line waiting to happen, I don't know what is. :D

And not to be overly flippant about it, you make some excellent points

rpghost

First Post
Nellisir said:
All -I'm- looking for is a list of what's new every week or so,

Well there is our monthly newsletter which lists a product catalog that is updated monthly. Not sure if that fits that need though.

Nellisir said:
I just checked out the "what's new" page at RPGNow, and found it....a bit too much. I had to scroll horizontally to view products on the right, and the page, even after sorting for fantasy, was just -long-.

Well the problem with building this page is that we have to just take the first X characters from someone's product description and show it - but lots of them have HTML in them and it causes problems. Sure I could cut it down to the most recent 20 or so product, but that's what the front page already does (minus the text). Or I could work up a listing of Titles only...

Problem is no matter what I do it just adds more options and confusion and doesn't fully satisfy anyone.

Sure another site that spotlights a few publishers would work - a small group working together. But that only highlights their products and it will only work if the group of publishers agree to work together and not compete in the same topics.

James

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nellisir said:

All -I'm- looking for is a list of what's new every week or so, possibly with a list of keywords id'ing what the product is about

How about a list in the EN World news, once a week or so? I wouldn't want to do it every day, but that might be OK.

I did try to set up an regular automated feed using some code that james gave me, but couldn't get it to work. Added to that is the non-standard format of title-publisher, it would just make my main page look like a mess. :)

Razuur

First Post
A PDF buyer.

Well I have bought a few PDFs from RPGnow, and have been pretty much satisfied. THis has been an interesting conversation, so I thought I would throw my 2 cents on what has casued me to buy PDFs.

Cover. Well, it can help, but it is not as important as the title. A good title that quickly goes over what is in it is useful, and may make me want to see more as I peruse through RPGnow.

Comments. I really follow comments. I love it when a PDF has 5 or so comments. I read all of them before buying, and have only bought one product that didn't have comments (Elements of Magic). In fact I bought the maidenheim supplements somely due to reviews. I am able to sift reviewers who have the same tastes as I by their reviews.

Description. Some times I wish there was more description.

Advertising. I have bought three products because I heard of them on these boards.

Cost. Spending more than 5.00 on a pdf is a rarity for me. I have to pay for paper and toner, and quite frankly, PDFs have less pages, and are often less indepth than printed prods. A PDF better have crazy reviews or have a high page count filled with stuff if it is gonna cross that 5.00 - 6.00 range. In fact some products, like lists of tabled names for 5.00 is just too much. if they dropped it a couple of bucks, I might pick up several products!

Quality. If what I got was good quality, I'll keep my eye out for more products by that company. I am loyalty based.

Hope this helps,

Razuur

Last edited:

rpghost

First Post
Re: A PDF buyer.

Razuur said:
Comments. I really follow comments. I love it when a PDF has 5 or so comments. I read all of them before buying, and have only bought one product that didn't have comments (Elements of Magic). In fact I bout the maidenheim supplements somely due to reviews.

Problem with the comments is they get a lot of abuse... try to aviod taking them too serious when they are from contributors of the book or people who have not actually bought the book. There are poeople who just like to trash talk. Then there are people who like to make fake or bias reviews.

For this reason we setup a reviews forum http://forums.rpghost.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=7 for general converstation in hopes that they comments are kept to only paid customer response.

James

Strutinan

First Post
There are poeople who just like to trash talk. Then there are people who like to make fake or bias reviews.
A problem I'm having to deal with. What REALLY gets my goat is when somebody makes purposeful mistakes in thier comment in order to degrade the percieved quality of the product. I've seen it happen in a few products other than mine, and it cheeses me off even when it happens to somebody I don't like!

Its not only rude as all hell, its dishonorable in the extreem. If you don't like something, say the real reason WHY, don't manufacture problems that you think will turn off other people.

Krug

Newshound
Re: Re: A PDF buyer.

rpghost said:

Problem with the comments is they get a lot of abuse... try to aviod taking them too serious when they are from contributors of the book or people who have not actually bought the book. There are poeople who just like to trash talk. Then there are people who like to make fake or bias reviews.

For this reason we setup a reviews forum http://forums.rpghost.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=7 for general converstation in hopes that they comments are kept to only paid customer response.

James

Yeap I agree... the comments system is just abused. You can't take a 5* rating seriously anymore on rpgnow.com.

I've cut down lately on my PDF buying. No place to print them out anymore but some I've found useful. Anyway, I think it's just the start. PDFs will continue to get bigger and more popular, and it's good to see so many extending the game in so many creative ways.

Last edited:

Remove ads