RPGui - Please Test If You'd Like

TogaMario

First Post
I am releasing the first tiny parts of the program I'm working on called RPGui. It's supposed to be a tool for network DMing and gaming, and will support a good few many features that I think should be standard, but due to development time being ... well ... time consuming, I can only work on it while I'm not at work (and that's only 2-3 hours on any given night that I'm not trying to feel like I'm not at work, lol). Any requests would be appreciated, and please post problems in the forum thread so I can look into it!

So far I have a chat interface that i think functions pretty well, with a private messaging function. The host is automatically named DM (which I may end up letting the DM choose any alias later). And I want to add a bit of text color parsing next (so you receive a red private message text that is more easy to pick out than the black text that would appear now.)

I know it's not much for right now, but I also want to add the die roller soon where you can choose which die to roll, how many of that die, and choose to broadcast the results or not.

After that, I'll be trying to add the resource sharing utility for the DM, in which he can choose to display a map to PCs that is masked, or not, in a resource list that will be displayed in the client software. Double clicking would bring up a window with the map as the DM has set it up, and he will choose when to send along an updated view.

Also, this will open up the opportunity to add function to the "Create Player" button in the RPGui main program, and allow the PCs to send the DM their character sheets (which the DM can view and change at will, and any changes made to the data will be shown in a special DM console automatically)

Right now, all you have to do as a DM is run the host.exe (or choose the Host button from the RPGui main program) and it will start you up with a session. At this point, you give players your IP address (making sure it isn't your routers autoassigned ip-address, in which case you'll have to turn IP forwarding on in your router, and get your router's IP address ... i think ... anyone else more knowledged in this area can probably help you out better than i can) You may have to open up certain ports too, but if this becomes a common question, I shall dig through the code for those :) I believe I set the client uses a random port number between a certain set.

For players, you'll enter a username and ip address of the host. And if all goes well, in the end, you'll be connected to the host and be able to commence with the chatting.

Just left-click on the person's name on the right-hand side player list to private message them. I know you can message yourself, but why would you want to do that ;) Just like you can IM yourself in IM programs.

Thank you all for the help, and hope to see this make it to the best ghetto programs you've ever used list! Get it below ------

http://www.togamario.com/zip/RPGui.zip

-Tyler

ergeheilalt

First Post
I'd recommend reversing the text display so that it follows along the same line as other chat programs. That is:

line 1
line 2
line 3

Right now the order is

line 3
line 2
line 1

It's pretty basic, but has potential to be something more :)

TogaMario

First Post
Chat lines

:) I'll see what I can do. Thanks for trying it out. I'll be trying to update with die rollers tonight or tomorrow, so I'll post reply with the news and updated features as they come. Thanks again!

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
I am kind of swamped in my own project but after the 1st when I release 1.0 I will be sure to try it out and give some feedback.

TogaMario

First Post
Wow, some of the features I want to add will take a bit of programming! I'm smoothing out the dice options now, so hopefully I can at least update with that working soon! For everything I add to the host program, I need to add support for the client, and I know it might seem easy, but I'm no professional, lol.

TogaMario

First Post
Ok, I updated RPGui.

- Text now scrolls down, like IM windows of the current day and time :)

- Added Dice Rolling:
+ You can put in an amount of dice to roll, and a number of sides.
+ You can choose to broadcast the roll (so everyone can see), or just make it a local roll (not visible to anyone else in the game room).
+ You can choose to separate your rolls, showing each die roll's results in a string of text, or you can have just the summed results displayed.

It's free, as always, and will be downloadable at http://www.togamario.com/zip/RPGui.zip

Remove ads