RtTToEE

d12

First Post
Spoilers?
Okay, this is based off of just the first session of play but my group is very into hack and slash and they've done a lot of role-playing so far in Hommlet - even to the point of having tea with Yundi and Jaroo and taunting Maridosen. They even challenged Haunor to arm-wrestle. Is it Shakespear? No. But they're definitely role-playing.

Crypt King

First Post
Re: Questions, Thoughts, and Spoilers

Morrow said:

Which Dungeon did the 'Tharizidun's baby' adventure appear in? Are there any other Tharizidun-centric Dungeon adventures that might mesh well with RttTOEE?

Some folks have expressed concern that if they add additional material and side-trecks to the Temple that their characters will advance too quickly. However, a quick flip through the adventure reveals forty-some-odd encounter areas (mostly in the Crater Ridge mines) that can be removed without harming the rest of the adventure. That's a whole boatload of potential experience that can now come from whatever story elements you want to add. The adventure is about Tharizidun's flunkies, after a couple of random encounters the players will get the idea that there are other nasty things about, and the displacer beasts, cloakers, darkmantles, destrachans, deinonychus, green dragons, random gratuitous fire creatures, and whatnot won't really be missed.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Morrow

It's an older Dungeon, around when RoTToEE came out, I don't have it on me unfortunately. Wait here [url = http://www.wizards.com/dungeon/article.asp?x=87/toc] Baby [/url]

I agree on the removal. My goal is to weave in all the core path adventures, a few interesting side adventures of relation and the Temple into one big campaign, with characters starting at 1st and going to 20th type thing.

Decamber

First Post
Am I right if I say that RtTToEE is, like any module, as roleplayingable as you make it? I mean, if you play it as a pure hack-n-slash module, it is a pure hack-n-slash adventure, but if you want it to be elements of roleplaying in it, it will be.

Correct?

Balrog

First Post
Our party just finished the rtTOEE and it took us almost a year of real time. We were getting tired of it. Our DM played it as almost every NPC had to be hacked down, and there was very little roleplaying involved. A couple of us brought our own personal motivations into going into the temple and wreaking havoc; for example, my character is now a 15th level character ( 6th Cleric/ 8th Radiant Servant of Pelor/1st Fighter) whose initial purpose was just to go into the temple and find information about his kidnapped brother. But when push came to shove, i ended up playing him as a vengeful, Doomdreamer-bashing Holy Warrior. But in the end, it all came back to hacking....

Also, similar to an earlier poster, our party was ahead of the curve on experience, and our DM ended up increasing the challenges in the latter 2/ 3rds of the module significantly. this ended up making the hacking even more grisly.....:( , on both sides...

PatEllis15

First Post
Well, I think Monte did a pretty good job with this. It's not perfect, but then very few modules ever are...

It does work in the sense that it is what your DM makes of it, here is what I am doing to my group:

(All apologies if I don't use proper names I don't have the modules with me...)

General Premise: The odd looking "spikes" that show up underneath the moathouse, and in the middle of the crater lake, are actually physical manefestations of the "pins" that keep the Big T trapped in his prison. For reasons not explained these pins attract dragons (helping to explain the presence of so many dragons in a greyhawk adventure, something that I needed to do). Dragon eggs are corrupted if hatched in close prosimity to one of the pins, creating: Draconians (ala DragonLance).

Characters start a level 1:

Begin with Sunless Citadel:

Place the citadel on the edge of the Orcish Empire of hte Pomarj, the Suss Forest, and the Wild CoastThe corrupt tree is there because a "Pin" is underneath it, and the evil of the Big T creats the the whole premise of the module (the reason for the collapse, the reason the kobolds (related to dragons) are there etc. THe original mission is to recover some unknown piece of information. Party sees lots of draconic themed items (as per the module, again laying the groundwork for the dragon/spike/Big T connection). They find the scroll with the obscure dwarven text. Turn this into a missive from the dwarves from the crater lake, giving the PC's clue later on that there is a sanctuary in the cave complex (2 of the PC's are dwarves...). Replace the troll priest with a Bozak priest, and perhaps 2 baaz guardians.

In the end they recover information leading them to lost city of the Suloise in the Suss. Character leave at level 3.

Next part: Journey to the city of Xak Tsaroth (i.e. module DL1).

The party will have to be on their toes as they learn that others are searching for the same information (the Black Brotherhood, who will serve as enemey NPC's of both the PC's and the Big T worshipper at the crater).

DL1 was written for 4th or 5th level characters, so the intent here will be to gather information, see more draconians, and perhaps begin to put together the idea that the sunless Citadel and Xak Tsaroth have something in common (why did they both sink....). If they are smart, and ROLE play, they won't get into many fights, and will get out with information leading them to Hommlett, and RttToEE begins.

In the modules I replace many of the hack humanoids (hobgobllins and the like ) at the crater with draconians, if XP is advancing too fast, use the Black brotherhood to take out enemies in front of them....

I think that this has created a GREAT chance of Roleplaying, and while there will be plenty of Hack n Slash, the party will have to be thinkers to survive...

Why'd I write all that? I dunno, but maybe you'll find it interesting...

TalonComics

First Post
Decamber said:
Am I right if I say that RtTToEE is, like any module, as roleplayingable as you make it? I mean, if you play it as a pure hack-n-slash module, it is a pure hack-n-slash adventure, but if you want it to be elements of roleplaying in it, it will be.

Correct?

Oh I could make anything roleplaying heavy. ;) Heck, I tried with my RtTToEE character, however, there comes a point in RtTToEE where it's just roll for initiative, fight, go to the next room, roll for initiative, fight (3 hours later), and guess what? Roll for initiative. We started calling it Return to the Temple of Roll for Initiative. ;)

It's not a bad module at all it's just very combat heavy.

~Derek

Cullain

First Post
My regular DM runs an alternate group that uses it, and from his experience-> it's not too difficult to add in roleplaying elements, but it is first and foremost a 1E style dungeon crawl. A very fun 1E dungeon crawl, but a 1E style dungeon crawl.

For a more RP intense Monte adventure, check out 'the banewarrens,' which he just released, and which i just finished printing out half an hour ago.

From what I've seen, it's still a dungeon crawl, but there's a lot more RP built into it than in RtToEE.

Cullain

Balrog

First Post
I personally liked the flavor and style of the module, but i guess what made several of us tired of it was not the module itself, but a couple of players in our group who complained incessantly about how long the epic was taking and the constant hacking involved....so that near the end, we were all just ready to go on to something new. so it wasnt so much the module itself, but a couple of players attitudes, so i guess i cant fault the module for that!! Good work, Monte!! it was an adventure of epic proportions, but some people dont have that kind of attention span i guess.......

SPOILERS***********

but given my characters personal motivation, i had to make sure i left a hook myself to go back after a while. for the final battle, my cleric of Pelor cast Planar Ally to aid the party . the DM was very generous and Pelor decided to aid his Radiant Servant with a Planetar...of course, for this aid i pretty much sold my soul....and committed myself to going back and destroying Imix once and for all......You see, we stopped the ritual of the Doomdreamers by rescuing this virgin Elven princess, but the fight was going against us, even with Mr. Planetar's aid, so as soon as we got the Princess off the sacrificial block, we all fled as fast as we could to avoid any more PC deaths.....and we didnt defeat Imix....
In the epilogue, the Planetar told me my part of the bargain would be to eventually go back and make sure Imix is defeated and the Nodes are all destroyed again....OUCH what did i get myself into.....

Remove ads