Rule of Three: 05/16/2011

Incenjucar

Legend
It's quite unfortunate that WotC does not feel that monster classes should come with significant options. They are wasting a lot of opportunity there.

Mummolus

First Post
It's quite unfortunate that WotC does not feel that monster classes should come with significant options. They are wasting a lot of opportunity there.
Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of monster classes to begin with. You want to play a werewolf? Catch moon frenzy and rp it.

Or, make it a theme. That would work beautifully.

Damon_Tor

First Post
Eerm, isn't the statement that "you could expect any humanoid to contract lycanthropy" incorrect in 4e? IE, Lycanthropes are races, and being bit by one will not ever actually turn anybody? They carry other diseases, but none of them actually turn you.

Aegeri

First Post
Wow that sure was underwhelming.

At least it means it's unlikely there will be a werewolf class in Heroes of the Feywild with this (they would have had to be planning it for the book now if they were going to do that). Hopefully this means we'll get some proper full classes in it, instead of one dimensional classes that are entirely on rails or yet more damn wizard builds.

I can hope.

Indeed, themes would make vampires / werewolves (and any other template-like thing from earlier editions) work so well...
Would have. The current theme direction sadly wouldn't be able to do this without attack power swaps like the old themes.

Incenjucar

Legend
I don't necessarily think that werewolf should be its own class. I actually feel that monster PCs should be handled by an mix-and-match monster class that can encompass a whole range of ideas, going so far as to write an essay that led to the idea, and way too much work on such a class. Thing is, ANY class subject to vampire-level options is unfortunate, and I feel sorry for people who like monsters being treated as if they somehow newer to the game than even the crowd that the Essentials martial classes were built for.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
#3 was a pretty lame excuse. Werewolf would be tricky to do as a class because any race could contract it, and yet we have the vampire class... for which the same would be true.

Both should exist as themes. Like others have suggested. They missed the boat here bigtime.

Quickleaf

Legend
#3 was a pretty lame excuse. Werewolf would be tricky to do as a class because any race could contract it, and yet we have the vampire class... for which the same would be true.
You're misquoting. "Tricky" was in reference to werewolf as a *race*, not a class. The vibe I got was they're in wait and see mode. That or too many chiefs (or too much chief turnover) mode. Or some combination of the two.

Both should exist as themes. Like others have suggested. They missed the boat here bigtime.
No argument there!

Remove ads