[+] Rules light RPGs

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I am still wondering whether or not the need of a light set of rules is the answer to:
1. The search of a game where the DM (if good enough) can replace all the holes in the rules (i.e. the fun for the game is safeguarded)
Lighter rules require more work from the referee. They need to make more calls, generally speaking. Most referees are there to facilitate the players all having fun. The number of malicious referees is wildly exaggerated. No rule set can protect players from a bad or malicious referee. They will just ignore the bits of the rules that tell them not to do those things. The only constraints on a referee is what they place on themselves and what the table is willing to put up with. Rules light games don't shy away from that. They accept it and lean into it.
2. The need to set aside tons and tons of pages of detailed rules (if not micro-rules!) because both players and GM are not going to pass an entire night for a fight only...
Rules light game run a lot quicker. Like a lot. Some still have task resolution systems (where one roll is one round worth of actions or one action), while others have conflict resolution systems (where one roll resolves the whole scene). It just depends on what you're after.
3. Pure lack of time in this stressful life (or laziness if you live a stressless life!)
Without dozens of books with hundreds of pages each to worry about you can concentrate more on actually playing and trying to tell whatever story emerges from your play that much better. You also have more time to do whatever, even if that's to read up on history, storytelling, genres, or recreational reading.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Probably my favorite rules light RPG of all is Metagames’ In the Labyrinth/The Fantasy Trip. After Metagames was supplanted by SJG and GURPS, ITL/TFT got shelved.

Dark City Games used a version of the same system to support a wider variety of RPG genres outside of fantasy.

And recently, SJG resurrected TFT. I haven’t gotten my hands on it yet, but…

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Lighter rules require more work from the referee. They need to make more calls, generally speaking. Most referees are there to facilitate the players all having fun. The number of malicious referees is wildly exaggerated. No rule set can protect players from a bad or malicious referee. They will just ignore the bits of the rules that tell them not to do those things. The only constraints on a referee is what they place on themselves and what the table is willing to put up with. Rules light games don't shy away from that. They accept it and lean into it.
This is not true, or rather, not universally true. It's more the general culture the game is supporting. Trad games are already very heavy on GM overhead, so a rules light Trad game will have heavy GM overhead. Other culture approaches to play assign different overheads. Narrative games tend to be much lighter than Trad games, for instance, and offload overhead from the GM significantly.

Take, for example, Cthulhu Dark. If you approach this from a Trad way, as a simplified, GM-driven engine to resolve play, GM overhead will be high. If, on the other hand, you take the game and go for a Story Now approach, then GM overhead is reduced significantly.
Rules light game run a lot quicker. Like a lot. Some still have task resolution systems (where one roll is one round worth of actions or one action), while others have conflict resolution systems (where one roll resolves the whole scene). It just depends on what you're after.
Eh. Quicker is not a universal good. This is true, but not really, independently, a measure of any quality or utility. RPGs are not about speed of play.
Without dozens of books with hundreds of pages each to worry about you can concentrate more on actually playing and trying to tell whatever story emerges from your play that much better. You also have more time to do whatever, even if that's to read up on history, storytelling, genres, or recreational reading.
Here I'll disagree, again. Given you're statement for 1), this means that the GM isn't constrained and can do what they want to do with their story or setting without having to check to see if it aligns with the rules. The problem here is predictability. The rules of an RPG give the players that ability to successfully judge the stakes for the play. If you take that away, especially if you replace it with the GM, then its harder to predict those stakes and make good decisions. Again, this really comes down to a culture of play issue -- if you're Trad or Neotrad, this is less of a burden because play is still focused on exploration of the GM's setting or story so stakes are communicated as needed for those moments. It's anathema to gamist play, which is why you don't see gamist rules-light systems very often (and I can't immediately bring one to mind). Story now play deals with stakes as an ongoing discussion anyway, so little changes on rules density.

There's a good reason what the vast majority of rules-light efforts are Trad or Story Now approaches. Most of those are still Trad, because that's what the current market gorilla does.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Probably my favorite rules light RPG of all is Metagames’ In the Labyrinth/The Fantasy Trip. After Metagames was supplanted by SJG and GURPS, ITL/TFT got shelved.

Dark City Games used a version of the same system to support a wider variety of RPG genres outside of fantasy.

And recently, SJG resurrected TFT. I haven’t gotten my hands on it yet, but…
I played the original back in the day and backed the KS for the Legacy edition a couple years ago. The core mechanic is pretty simple, but I'd rate it on the high end of "rules-light" games, as in "yeah, it's pretty simple, but some of this stuff is getting kinda crunchy..."

To me it's similar to Savage Worlds, which I place solidly as "medium crunch"... the rules are easy to grasp, but you find there's a lot of nuance and hidden complexity once the rules start interacting with certain situations and each other.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Yeah. Definitely lighter.

I keep hearing good stuff about Mork Borg. What’s the draw for you, besides the lighter rules?

In a similar vein is Viking Death Squad. I have that and am reading through it. Runehammer does some good stuff.
Mork Borg not only has lighter rules, but a lighter setting. The half dozen or so regions in the book get only a couple paragraphs each, and they're more for giving a feel for the areas than Forgotten Realms level of history and lore. Specifics about the world are left open for GM interpretation and improvisation. Just enough evocative description and detail for the GM to use as a creative springboard. Even the map of the continent is an impressionistic piece of art rather than a precise cartography artifact.

Also, the tone is great. It's almost a parody of OSR games where PCs can die like flies in comical ways. It's grimdark but doesn't take itself seriously at all. Like if the PCs were natives of the world in Army of Darkness.

And because the rules are so open, it's easy to tweak things. As is, a long-term campaign might be a little unsustainable, but I'm going to throw in a couple of simple house rules regarding death and dying that should help that.

Those rules are from the massive library of community created content for Mork Borg, which is also another huge draw. Most if not all of it is curated on the site Ex Libris Mork Borg

Lastly, the art. It's not to everyone's taste, but I guarantee you you've never seen an RPG rules book like this before.

Andvari

Hero
I’m currently DMing a Pathfinder 2nd edition campaign, so most RPGs are rules light to me. :)

I have a feeling I would enjoy a rules light system. Unfortunately, with most RPGs there are a bunch of things I really like and a bunch of things I really don’t like. I may end up making some weird Frankenstein homebrew of BECMI and some other systems. I do like thinking about these things.

Though that is well in the future as I don’t want to switch systems on a group when they are happy with the current one. But perhaps one day after a campaign or two when their characters grow old/high level and retire.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Risus is the simplest RPG I know of.
May I present Perfected:

8fe2b-perfected.jpg

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Don't laugh @Mezuka, that's basically how Dave Arneson ran games, MAR Barker ran games (not the most ringing endorsement of late, to be sure), and Bob Meyer continues to run Blackmoor games.

Remove ads