• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules that never made sense to you?

Jhulae

First Post
TYPO5478 said:
Really?

You mean like spellcasting?

Hmm.

I don't think having a readied action *stops* spellcasting... I think it may force a concentration check or Save which may fail and prevent the spell from going off.. but it's by no means assured.

KarinsDad said:
No. I am arguing that Montana is more charismatic and Greene is more intimidating.

Greene is definitely memorable. But even there, Montana is more memorable.

I could have picked Bronko Nagurski as non-memorable (outside most circles), but still way less charismatic and vastly more intimidating than Montana.
Montana has Chr 16 and 2 ranks in Intimidate, Greene has Chr 12 and 8 ranks in Intimidate. The rules cover that situation pretty well.

pemerton

Legend
Infiniti2000 said:
Good luck figuring out hit points then! :lol:

I thought they were physical robustness (hit die plus CO) combined with the learned ability to evade serious wounds (that is, a level divisor on damage taken, implimented instead by way of multiple hit dice, making the maths easier and Cure spells harder to explain).

On this theory, CO drain reflects damage that can't be evaded by experience. Why, then, do starvation, thirst, falling, etc all do hit point damage? Can't explain - but no system is perfect!

It's not quite clear what DR x/- represents on this account - tough skin?, but then why not a natural armour bonus? - but it just doesn't grate on me quite as much as the hundred different ways of modelling exactly the same dodging ability.

Nail

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I don't like that if you try to trip, you provoke an AoO, but you can continue your trip attempt. But, try to grapple or disarm and your attempt fails. I do not see the balance reason for this, nor the logic.
True.

I've tried to condense "Trip" into a grapple maneuver...but then using a Tripping weapon doesn't work. Sigh.

Nail

First Post
Sithobi1 said:
It might just be me, but I can definitely see dodging a fireball in a very different light from dodging a mace or a sword.
And since your Ref save is NOT dependant on your load or armor speed/penalty, you must not be actually dodging tumbling.

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nail said:
I've tried to condense "Trip" into a grapple maneuver...but then using a Tripping weapon doesn't work. Sigh.
I don't think it should be a grapple maneuver because it has too many thing that are unlike grappling. Instead, just say that an AoO that deals damage negates the trip (or perhaps for all such things like trip, disarm, and grapple, add the damage to the opposed check).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads