• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rules that never made sense to you?

Someone

Adventurer
Just curious, how does that work?

The same way that, by the RAW, the darknes spell can actually illuminate an area. The metal becomes hot, how much depending on how much time passed since the spell was cast, and regardless of the temperature it had before the spell was cast. So if the metal was hotter than the spell can heat the metal, then it's actually cooled through the spell's entire duration.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
TYPO5478 said:
Another clarification: I wasn't talking about a particular spell. I was talking about casting in general. Any spell can be stopped by counterspelling it (which requires a ready action). Granted, some spells can be stopped in other ways, but to my knowledge there's no method that would stop all of them.

You sure are putting a lot of clarifications on your one sentence riposte. :)

And, counterspelling does not always require a ready action.

Readied Antimagic (within range) would stop the casting of all spells (shy of Initiate of Mystra).

Normal Antimagic (i.e. not Readied) would stop the casting of all spells (again, shy of IoM).

Readied Silence would stop the casting of most spells.

A Readied attack can stop the casting of most spells (do 50 points of damage and most spell casters cannot make that Concentration roll).

An Attack of Opportunity can stop the casting of most spells (if the caster is not casting defensively).

A (Readied or not) Disarm of a Spell Components Pouch can stop the casting of most spells.

A Readied Fog (or other) Cloud spell can stop the casting of many spells (i.e. removing line of sight).

A Grapple can stop the casting of many spells.

The point is, there are a lot of ways to handle spell casting.

TYPO5478 said:
I don't think I'm familiar with anything that can only be stopped by a readied action. Could you please provide some examples?

It's just a signature. :confused:

There is virtually nothing in the game that can only be stopped by a Readied Action, but there are people who post "Ready An Action" in response to a problem situation with few readily available solutions. Such a solution is not really a solution since it requires that the Readying creature know that it has to do so and it requires that the creature potentially waste an action. Do you understand the sig now? :D

Stalker0

Legend
How about that by the book I can only throw a football a maximum of 33 yards (with far shot) when any slub with some knowledge of throwing can toss a good 50 (even if he can't hit anything) and pros can toss it 80 yards.

IanB

First Post
Stalker0 said:
How about that by the book I can only throw a football a maximum of 33 yards (with far shot) when any slub with some knowledge of throwing can toss a good 50 (even if he can't hit anything) and pros can toss it 80 yards.

80 yards, but can they do damage at that range? That's what range increments are really describing.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Nail said:
Which is fine...but doesn't address my biggest "huh?" concern over trip:

The ability to trip an opponent is not related to combat ability. It's only related to how strong (or graceful) you are; your raw talent.

That's just weird. My sensei can put me flat on my a$$, and yet I'm sure I can lift more weight than he can. And no matter how much I work out on the bench press, that won't help me trip him. :(

FWIW I allow anyone to use a balance check to oppose trip attempts. It gives a bit of extra fun to an underused skill, and would represent your situation pretty well, I guess.

Nail

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
FWIW I allow anyone to use a balance check to oppose trip attempts. It gives a bit of extra fun to an underused skill, and would represent your situation pretty well, I guess.
Except that is doesn't model the ability to do the tripping very well...as that's still a Str check.

Another rule that I use that never made sense to me is "Always hit on a natural 20". There is nothing - no monster, no adventurer, no god - that cannot be hit on a natural 20 (barring a special exception rule to the contrary, obviously).

Can a Com 1 hit (and damage!) a Ftr 20 in uber-full plate and shield? Yup.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads