• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Rules We Have Been Doing Wrong This Whole Time

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
You should be able to use an action to reset your initiative if the game sues a static order.
Oh like the old Refocus? Probably, but players quickly realized that had the same problem as turning in your tiles in Scrabble. You miss a turn to do nothing but hopefully set up a better next turn, while your enemies won't do you the same courtesy.

Slit518

Adventurer
Maybe everyone was making the save or check and rather than slow things down the GM just asked for everyone's results. Especially in 5E, even a DC 24 could be impossible for one PC and within bounds for another.

Not to mention other buffs like Bless or a Bardic Inspiration die could be possible to put it over.

Emirikol

Adventurer
All rhese editions..all these game aystems, I dont really care a s the DM anymore. i mke the players look it up. Im so sick of new rulesets..and new houserules..and pedantry...
That said I always have to ask about healing spells n potions and whether crits this edition double the strength bons as well. I play a barbarian so you can tell wtf I give about the rules anymore. im just there to play.

Thanks for the tip on darkvision. I totally intend to go all in on that.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Sure, nobody is going to buy them, but that doesn't mean there isn't a need. It just means there isn't a profit.
The thing is if nobody is going to use them, then there's no reason to publish them because nobody would buy them anyway. There's no audience for the material. That's why there are so many free videos with DMing advice in them - because if the amount of money people are willing to spend to get that information is "nothing" the only place you're going to find it is on some platform that will pay you to publish free stuff.

That's also why Wizards focuses their DM teaching stuff in the DMG and the Starter type sets - everyone buys the DMG out of habit, and the brand new DMs coming into the game who might have a chance of reading and making use of "learn to DM" material are going to be the folks getting a Starter Set. Once DMs have graduated beyond the Starter Set Wizards has lost most of them as a potential audience for that kind of material.

Also that you roll 1d4 per magic missile, when in fact you only roll 1d4 (+1) and each missile does the same damage.
Rolling once may be the official ruling, but I've never played with anyone who did it that way, and frankly I find the whole idea disgusting.

I'd like to think that the "roll once" official ruling was just a ploy so that the rest of us would know who the weirdly fanatical followers of whatever random crap Jeremy Crawford tweets are and be suitably warned not to game with them.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Rolling once may be the official ruling, but I've never played with anyone who did it that way, and frankly I find the whole idea disgusting.

I'd like to think that the "roll once" official ruling was just a ploy so that the rest of us would know who the weirdly fanatical followers of whatever random crap Jeremy Crawford tweets are and be suitably warned not to game with them.
I really think JC is trolling people with those kinds of answers.

Remove ads