D&D 5E Ruling Question on Shapechanger & Hold Person

How would you rule?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So, interesting situation today. The PCs encountered a Death Slaad, which had used its Shapechanger feature to polymorph into a medium humanoid prior to encountering the PCs.

1679791948715.png

Since they saw a humanoid, the Wizard cast hold person when combat began.

1679792145205.png

How would you rule?

I've looked into some sources online, but haven't really found anything relevant. I'll update the OP later with my own ruling.

UPDATE:

My ruling was B, because we were playing strictly RAW, not just going with the narrative. Of course, when it drops to 0 hp as a humanoid, it reverts to a Death Slaad and is no longer affected. ;)

Last edited:

i voted the hold person effects it because the feature explicitly says it polymorphs "into a [...] humanoid".

also that's how my current 5e dm ruled it except we were fighting a polymorphed dragon then lmao

Laurefindel

Legend
Good question. Are there any antecedents where a creature specifically keeps its type when shapechanged? The Polymorph spell specifies that the target retains its alignment and personality but otherwise acquires all game characteristics from the new form. It follows that "type" is a game characteristic and is thus acquired.

Thus my reflex would be to rule that the humanoid-shaped slaad is susceptible to hold person (or any other "person" spell) since it acquired the humanoid type. It would automatically free itself by changing back into its true form, no longer being a humanoid.

[edit] oh wait, can the slaad spend an action to change back to its form if held?

[edit 2] The slaad is paralyzed by the hold person spell, therefore is incapacitated, therefore cannot use actions, therefore cannot use its shapechanger ability (requiring and action) to change back. Tough luck, slaad!

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I ruled that the hold person does not work. I think the slaad is still an aberration even though the wording says shapechange into a humanoid. I feel the term here refers to something more like a PHB race and not the specific type. I would allow the wizard to know that the spell had no effect and allow some sort of check to determine that the target was not a humanoid.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The MM says that a creatures Statistics include
2. Type
  1. Size
  2. Type
  3. Tags
  4. Alignment
  5. Armor Class
  6. Hit Points
  7. Speed
  8. Ability Scores
  9. Saving Throws
  10. Skills
  11. Vulnerabilities, Resistances, and Immunities
  12. Senses
  13. Languages
  14. Challenge
  15. Special Traits
  16. Actions
  17. Reactions
  18. Limited Usage
  19. Equipment
Since the Slaad shapechanger ability say its Statistics, other than its size, stay the same, its Type (abberation) stays the same in both forms ergo Hold Person doesnt work

Laurefindel

Legend
The MM says that a creatures Statistics include
2. Type
  1. Size
  2. Type
  3. Tags
  4. Alignment
  5. Armor Class
  6. Hit Points
  7. Speed
  8. Ability Scores
  9. Saving Throws
  10. Skills
  11. Vulnerabilities, Resistances, and Immunities
  12. Senses
  13. Languages
  14. Challenge
  15. Special Traits
  16. Actions
  17. Reactions
  18. Limited Usage
  19. Equipment
Since the Slaad shapechanger ability say its Statistics, other than its size, stay the same, its Type (abberation) stays the same in both forms ergo Hold Person doesnt work
I agree with this. I’m changing my vote to « hold person doesn’t work »

Key words: "Its statistics, other than its size, are the same in each form."
Two distinct forms... the aberration form and the humanoid form. Hold Person works when it's in humanoid form.

ETA: changing my mind on this (thanks @Hriston) but am leaving the post here for... post-erity...

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Looking at this from another end, would a wild shaped human druid be susceptible to a hold person while in animal form?

Nothing to see here. I misremembered the text for wild shape. D'oh!

Last edited:

Remove ads