Ruling: Ring of the Darkhidden

bleedthefreak

First Post
IceBear...

Thanks for the ideas, though I think he could read just fine with Darkvision.

On the otherhand, your right about keeping areas well lit, but I rather think that dispells some of the mystery if a dungeon is (by default) well lit.

I thought about making the ring cursed, in that it denies it's bearer the use of darkvision, that would be cool, but it makes the encounter just as it would be without the ring (the vampire couldn't have darkivion, he would have to fight in torchlight, so he could be seen). So, in about 10 min I can post the full description of what it does (that is when my co-worker gets in with his copy of the book).

We can all pour over that and decide how it works.

Thanks again to everyone for your help in this!

bleedthefreak

First Post
Got it

Ring of the Darkhidden
"This ring is usually made of tarnished silver and inscribed with images of closed eyes. The wearer of the ring is invisible to darkvision, although he is fully visible in normal light."
Caster Level: 3rd
Preq: Forge Ring, Invisibility.
Market Price: 6,700gp

So basically, this ring is like a limited ring of invis., in that it only works in darkness against those that can *see* in darkness, and if you attack you become visible and must re-activate the ring. I get it, I see.

Thanks everyone for your help, sorry for wasting so much of your time, I should have read this more carefully before assigning it as treasure....

IceBear

Explorer
Like I said, it depends on the dungeon. Does it make sense that if a dungeon is the lair of a powerful human wizard, with an orc tribe under his control, that it's completely pitch black in all areas?

The wizard will want to see where he is going, so the areas where he commonly visits may be lit while the other areas aren't.

Just because it's a dungeon doesn't necessarily mean it's dark.

Now, since you're talking about a vampire, then yeah, a crypt may be normally completely dark. But, what if the preparation chambers and shrine areas are lit by continual light torches? The priests needed some light to work by when they were preparing the bodies for the afterlife and constantly replacing torches and filling lamps might have gotten expensive :)

Anyway, as I was saying, things don't always have to be dark for dungeon adventuring so that may hamper the effectiveness of the ring. If it does not, treat it like a ring of invisibility.

Hmmmm - I wish I could find that thread on darkvision to remember why people felt you couldn't read with darkvision because I really can't see why it wouldn't but I have this strong impression that this was the decision.

[Edit] Ah, I see that it does work like a ring of invisibility :) Still, remember that not all dungeons are pitch black in all places and this will limit the abuse of the item even more.

IceBear

Last edited:

Remove ads