• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Rumor: OGL will not be supported starting with One D&D

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
But that's part of the point. It largely wouldn't affect them. The current OGL and SRD is enough. An updated SRD would be nice but it wouldn't stop Kobold press at all.

I think it's an open question. There are a lot of new, casual players for whom D&D is what's on DNDBeyond. Granted, that's not Kobold Press's audience anyway. But a move like this would lessen the chances of a Kobold Press ever reaching some of that crowd.

I do think this would be a self-lacerating move on WotC's part, but that doesn't mean they won't do it. From the mindset of a conventional corporate manager, the OGL and SRD are aberrations. It depends how well the people calling the shots on this one understand the history and culture of the game, and what a big role open sourcing 5E played in D&D's success since 2014.

darjr

I crit!
I mean...that's not really on WotC, though. That's just the way the culture is going in general. Online. They gotta get onboard because that train has left the station already.
I wasn’t blaming WotC. I don’t think I disagree with you.

darjr

I crit!
I think it's an open question. There are a lot of new, casual players for whom D&D is what's on DNDBeyond. Granted, that's not Kobold Press's audience anyway. But a move like this would lessen the chances of a Kobold Press ever reaching some of that crowd.

I do think this would be a self-lacerating move on WotC's part, but that doesn't mean they won't do it. From the mindset of a conventional corporate manager, the OGL and SRD are aberrations. It depends how well the people calling the shots on this one understand the history and culture of the game, and what a big role open sourcing 5E played in D&D's success since 2014.
New casual players have no idea what the OGL is, it won't effect them directly at all.
This has nothing to do with DNDBeyond exclusivity. WotC could OGL and put the entirety of the game into the SRD and still be super exclusive on D&DBeyond.

The new people are from Microsoft, who just added direct linux output and hosting for their flagship development platform, they absolutely understand open source.

They can't recind the current one and so far I don't see anything about the new rules that would stop people from using that.
the way they did it with 4e was to change everything... right now with subclasses I can publish 1,000 new subclasses without touching any new rules, and 1,000 feats, and 1,000 spells and thats before races and base classes that still could be made...

what could they end?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
My knickers remain untwisted. Maybe this 'rumor' is a trial balloon to gauge the audience's reaction? Until there is an announcement with more details I can't get worked up about it. The OGL is the OGL. Not having an updated SRD might be annoying but as long as 1D&D is truly backward compatible, it is not an issue either. We have a rumor translated by a Youtuber. It could be something else entirely, but the terminology is more FUD-like than substantive.

Remove ads