• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Rumor: OGL will not be supported starting with One D&D

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm sorry but what does this mean? What is 'barebones' in this context?
5e was designed purposely as a skeleton. One with tons of open parts for DMs and 3PPs to fill in the flesh and organs or rearranging the bones.

Sometmes WOTC would print the skin.

they've said they wanted to test all kinds of things and experiment as a kind of warning that these playtest may go far afield, but that wasn't their end goal or final intent.

If your goal is to move organ creation in-house, you have to build a sturdy serious skeleton and start early.

Not playtest reprintings of questionable balance and untold design goals.

That's why I call BS. ONED&D isn't being design as if WOTC is going to heavily shift content creation away from 3PP.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Misunderstanding and some FUD. Make no mistake there are influential people in this industry that are steaming angry about wotcs digital bundles etc…
Why angry? Because the bundles bypass normal distribution/sales channels? WotC never did them before, but it seems to me that they are very common in the industry.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I suspect that if anything DMsGuild would be the one place where WotC WOULD allow creators to use One D&D stuff, since WotC owns everything published on DMsGuild - so DMsGuild is not, in fact, "third party content".

It's actual fairly major actual third party content creators, like Kobold Press, who I think would be most affected by this - as well as "name" indie creators who favor DriveThruRPG (and/or their own Patreons and Kickstarters) for publishing their 5E stuff.

I'd expect some level of DMsGuild/DNDBeyond cross-pollination to be forthcoming, so that DMsGuild stuff ends up inside the walled garden.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The guy in the video says that the rumor is "there will not be an Open Game License for the new edition." But that's not how it works. There's only one OGL; systems that use it typically have a System Reference Document (SRD) with some amount of the game rules released under the license.
I haven’t watched the video, but if that’s what they said, yes it makes no sense. It sounds like — again I haven’t watched it, going only by your quote — a fundamental lack of understanding of what the OGL is.

darjr

I crit!
I suspect that if anything DMsGuild would be the one place where WotC WOULD allow creators to use One D&D stuff, since WotC owns everything published on DMsGuild - so DMsGuild is not, in fact, "third party content".

It's actual fairly major actual third party content creators, like Kobold Press, who I think would be most affected by this - as well as "name" indie creators who favor DriveThruRPG (and/or their own Patreons and Kickstarters) for publishing their 5E stuff.

I'd expect some level of DMsGuild/DNDBeyond cross-pollination to be forthcoming, so that DMsGuild stuff ends up inside the walled garden.
But that's part of the point. It largely wouldn't affect them. The current OGL and SRD is enough. An updated SRD would be nice but it wouldn't stop Kobold press at all.

Remove ads