• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Rumor: OGL will not be supported starting with One D&D

darjr

I crit!
I remember, weeks before the ONE D&D announcement a Mike Shea blog post and Ray Winniger giving a thumb up. Dungeons and Dragons future? Ray Winninger gives a nod to Mike Shea's proposed changes.

One of the point was an updated SRD. So I think that the OP youtuber did the stunt to get some clicks. Remember that the original 5e SRD has the "old" races rules, and one the things WotC want to do with OneD&D is to create a new "accetable for everyone" D&D, so at least those rules needs to be updated in the SRD. Update this, update all. Maybe the rumor (if ever existed) is that the SRD will offer a lot less content of what is offering now?
I will note that this was from Ray Winninger who is no longer with WOTC.

But it doesn’t matter as long as it’s not a change like from 3e to 4e.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I gotta say I dint see the clickbaity videos as the majority of this YouTube persons work.

So I gotta conclude he heard something misunderstood it and panicked a bit.

That’s all.
I do not think he was intentionally posting this to generate clicks. As you said, his posting history is not clickbait titles. I think he heard something from someone whose opinion he trusts and there was a lot of telephone game happening in this rumor chain. There is very little meat about this rumor so time will tell.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Be neat if the author of the video read this thread and made comments.

I for one would respect their opinion, but they probably shouldn't...you know...internet and all...

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The business model for pundits of all stripes is typically to just throw bombs, never stop moving and never, ever admit that you were wrong about Iraq having WMDs, the 2008 housing market, who was going to win the 2016 presidential race, what upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe movies will be or the future of Dungeons & Dragons.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s

I for one would respect their opinion, but they probably shouldn't...you know...internet and all...
I don't know if there is a lot that he could add to clarify his position. He does not want to make his 'source' uncomfortable and WotC is pretty far from finalizing anything about 1D&D. It is a rumor that Indestructoboy puts a lot of credence in.
I would like him to post here on ENWorld, not to defend his one video, but because he creates a wide variety of content of interest to all of us.

This isn’t going to happen. In addition to the companies listed, this would cut off darrington press. After all the work wotc has done to help build the brand, they’re not going to alienate Critical Role.
On top of that, darrington has already moved into the board game market. The next evolutionary step would be a self published ttrpg. It would be paizo all over again.

I think it would be interesting to watch the turmoil caused by such a change - I can already hear the clattering of arms and the beating of the drums of a new edition war 😅.
However, for reasons discussed before (in particular regarding the nature of the OGL, the experience during the 3e->4e transition and the fact that WotC have announced that the new edition will be compatible with 5e), it seems rather unlikely that something like this will happen.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
They can't recind the current one and so far I don't see anything about the new rules that would stop people from using that.
Yeah at most you’d not be able to publish things using the new terminology, and even that is probably arguable. NAL obviously.

What I would worry about is them shutting down DMsGuild, but that seems like…a huge mistake.

Remove ads