D&D 5E Rune Knight Cloud Rune Shenanigans

ECMO3

Hero
To start with here is the relevant text from the stone Rune:

"In addition, when you or a creature you can see within 30 feet of you is hit by an attack roll, you can use your reaction to invoke the rune and choose a different creature within 30 feet of you, other than the attacker. The chosen creature becomes the target of the attack, using the same roll. This magic can transfer the attack's effects regardless of the attack's range. Once you invoke this rune, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest."

A Rune Knight in a game I DM has taken to targeting allies when he can't get to enemies and then using the Stone Rune to transfer the damage. Recently he had the party Rogue go prone while a flying enemy was reigning down arrows. Then he attacked the prone Rogue (with advantage) and used his reaction to invoke the Stone Rune to transfer the damage to the flying enemy. I thought it was pretty clever, but it brought up some other interesting options:

1. Do the same thing as above on a flying enemy but throw a net on a prone ally from 5 feet away. You would throw it with advantage (within 5 feet of prone target, no enemy within 5 feet). Then Stone Rune it, it transfers the "effects" regardless of the range and the flying enemy is now restrained by the net, plummets to the ground and you go over and whack him with your second attack (with advantage).

2. Team with the Wizard to use it with Steel Wind Strike if there are less than 5 enemies in Range. Have him target an ally in addition to the enemies then Stone Rune that attack on to one of the enemies essentially doing double damage to that enemy from the spell (damage from the attack targeting the enemy plus the attack targeting the ally).

3. There is no mention of "seeing" the enemy you transfer it to. So if you are fighting an enemy who is invisible, behind cover or otherwise hidden target an ally with an attack and then Stone Rune that damage to the enemy.

RAW I think all of these work.

Shiroiken

Legend
I think you misunderstood the rune. It changes the target of the attack, using the same roll, but doesn't change anything else.
To start with here is the relevant text from the stone Rune:

"In addition, when you or a creature you can see within 30 feet of you is hit by an attack roll, you can use your reaction to invoke the rune and choose a different creature within 30 feet of you, other than the attacker. The chosen creature becomes the target of the attack, using the same roll. This magic can transfer the attack's effects regardless of the attack's range. Once you invoke this rune, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest."

1. Do the same thing as above on a flying enemy but throw a net on a prone ally from 5 feet away. You would throw it with advantage (within 5 feet of prone target, no enemy within 5 feet). Then Stone Rune it, it transfers the "effects" regardless of the range and the flying enemy is now restrained by the net, plummets to the ground and you go over and whack him with your second attack (with advantage).
Your attack roll still has to hit the flier. If you don't, then the attack misses the new target and has no effect. Also, the flier better be able to fit in the net, because I'd assume there's a size restriction (I'd sure impose one as a DM).

2. Team with the Wizard to use it with Steel Wind Strike if there are less than 5 enemies in Range. Have him target an ally in addition to the enemies then Stone Rune that attack on to one of the enemies essentially doing double damage to that enemy from the spell (damage from the attack targeting the enemy plus the attack targeting the ally).
Yeah, this would work assuming the attack on the ally would hit the chosen enemy. Kind of a waste for a 1/rest power IMO.

3. There is no mention of "seeing" the enemy you transfer it to. So if you are fighting an enemy who is invisible, behind cover or otherwise hidden target an ally with an attack and then Stone Rune that damage to the enemy.
Odd, but might be correct. IIRC, the only "targeting" rules are specifically for spellcasting, which this isn't. However, if you were to attempt to choose an illegal target, your ally is taking all that damage to the face.

ECMO3

Hero
I think you misunderstood the rune. It changes the target of the attack, using the same roll, but doesn't change anything else.

Your attack roll still has to hit the flier. If you don't, then the attack misses the new target and has no effect. Also, the flier better be able to fit in the net, because I'd assume there's a size restriction (I'd sure impose one as a DM).

Yes of course, you use the same roll, but the point is you make an attack against an enemy you can't otherwise attack. A net works on tiny, small, medium and large creatures. That covers most flying creatures. Huge and Gargantuan creatures can't be targeted of course.

Yeah, this would work assuming the attack on the ally would hit the chosen enemy. Kind of a waste for a 1/rest power IMO.

Steel Wind Strike is 33 damage on average that is pretty boss and it is per short rest, so you can do it more often than the Wizard is going to have 5th level spells to cast.
Odd, but might be correct. IIRC, the only "targeting" rules are specifically for spellcasting, which this isn't. However, if you were to attempt to choose an illegal target, your ally is taking all that damage to the face.

There is no general rule for seeing a target for spellcasting. It is whatever is listed in the spell description. That said most of the spells that target creatures require you to see them, but a few spells don't specify you need to see the enemy. Dissonant Whispers, Witchbolt, Ray of Sickness and Eldritch Blast are a few of them.

Last edited:

Yes of course, you use the same roll, but the point is you make an attack against an enemy you can't otherwise attack.
What's wrong with a bow and arrow? This seems to be a waste of a great life-saving ability. I'm pretty sure the average monster hits harder than the average fighter.

FarBeyondC

Explorer
What's wrong with a bow and arrow? This seems to be a waste of a great life-saving ability. I'm pretty sure the average monster hits harder than the average fighter.
Maybe the character's trash at using a bow and arrow, or otherwise just a lot more effective at melee attacks?

Also, you don't need a life-saving ability if the things threatening your life are all dead and dealt with. (Also, also, the life-saving ability doesn't work or is ill-advised in the event there's no other enemies within 30 feet of the person being saved.)

ECMO3

Hero
Low Dexterity is the problem with a bow.

As far as monsters, sure but the problem is you can't transfer the damage back on the attacker, so you need at least two enemies within 30 feet of you. Otherwise can only transfer that damage to one of your allies so on diverting an enemies hit it is only useful if there are at least two enemies within 30' and often times there aren't either because some are dead or too far away or because it is one boss you are fighting. Also the enemies that hit harder come in smaller numbers so in terms of oportunity to transfer enemy attacks it is most available on small ticky-tack hits. If you save it for that whopping high-damage crit you are often going to end up going to a short rest without using it.

When fighting single enemy I have transfered damage from one ally to another ally to keep the first alive - The barbarian gets hit and is going to go down because it is the 9th hit he has taken in the fight, but the Wizard has taken none so you transfer that hit to the Wizard.

ECMO3

Hero
Am I missing something? The target you transfer the attack to still has to be within 30 feet.
Yes so if he is higher than 30 feet it won't work. Official rules there is no diagonal, so a creature that is 30 feet up and 30 feet left is 30 feat away not 42 feet away.

Remove ads