OSR Runing new OSR adventures with the 5e playtest?

darjr

I crit!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puScrGET-Y8&feature=g-all-c]D&D 5e (Next) Major OSR Implications & Beginner RPG Gateway? - YouTube[/ame]

In part of that vid he says he went through the playtest mod and found it remarkably similar to the original, stat for stat, and makes the claim that old school modules could be used in 5e as is in the playtest and could be a boon for the OSR.

Has anyone else tried another adventure from the era? Like "Palace of the Silver Princes"?

dd.stevenson

Super KY
Okay, that's really interesting. Now WotC can re-release old settings pretty much as is.

Meaning that, with little to no development overhead, they can compete with Paizo's Golarion.

KidSnide

Adventurer
Okay, that's really interesting. Now WotC can re-release old settings pretty much as is.

Meaning that, with little to no development overhead, they can compete with Paizo's Golarion.

I've run parts of B5 Horror on the Hill for play test. I disagree that you can just use the monster stats (I use printouts of the new D&DN monsters), but otherwise you can pretty much play.

The one issue I've run into is that the early D&D modules tend to give out an awful lot of treasure (magic and otherwise), so I've found that I had to think through what I thought was appropriate and tune it down.

-KS

soulcatcher78

First Post
Waiting to see some higher level options for the playtest but I'm interested in playtesting A1 (tournament version most likely to keep it limited) Slave Pits of the Undercity.

Already jumped on the Kickstarter for Rappan Athuk and now I'm wondering if I want the Sword and Wizardry version or the Pathfinder version depending on which is giong to be easier to adjust down the road. Something to ponder.

jshaft37

Explorer
Depending on how often my group can get together and what PC levels and adventures are provided at what times my group is considering N1, U1 and T1. I looked over U1 and it seems pretty straightforward to convert with a few modifications to each monster.

Remove ads