• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Running 5e at high Levels

This is a great way to play. Capping things at 12th level is smart too because of that last ASI/Feat + cutting off 7th level+ spells. I think I'm going to start playing more like this! Thanks!

I'm glad someone finds it helpful.

Ponder a hypothetical here. You have two fighters in a party with different backstories and characters. This approach allows you to, in essence, custom build their progression on the fly. Those two players could end up with very different builds by the end of the campaign. And you can do this without home-brewing classes.

The obvious con here is harder balancing. But 5e is so elegant in its progression with proficiency bonuses and ASI improving ability modifiers, that its really easy to keep the power progression similar. For example an item that gives +2 to a stat is, in almost all respects, the same as an ASI. A weapon with a +1 to hit, or a +1 to spell DC, is very similar to a proficiency bonus increase.

Don't take it incorrectly, you don't have to wait until level 12 to do this. Such an item at level 3 might make that character the equivalent of a level 4 PC, What order you put items vs levels is up to you, I generally rush to level 3 for sub-class purposes though.

I'm glad someone finds it helpful.

Ponder a hypothetical here. You have two fighters in a party with different backstories and characters. This approach allows you to, in essence, custom build their progression on the fly. Those two players could end up with very different builds by the end of the campaign. And you can do this without home-brewing classes.

The obvious con here is harder balancing. But 5e is so elegant in its progression with proficiency bonuses and ASI improving ability modifiers, that its really easy to keep the power progression similar. For example an item that gives +2 to a stat is, in almost all respects, the same as an ASI. A weapon with a +1 to hit, or a +1 to spell DC, is very similar to a proficiency bonus increase.

Don't take it incorrectly, you don't have to wait until level 12 to do this. Such an item at level 3 might make that character the equivalent of a level 4 PC, What order you put items vs levels is up to you, I generally rush to level 3 for sub-class purposes though.
I often give low level players legendary magic items or artifacts. One I talk about oftne here is two campaigns where I gave the rogues a dagger that was really Blackrazor. I'm big into this kind of stuff!

Remove ads