D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

catsclaw227

First Post
That actually seems short to me! Piratecat's previous campaign, which just ended, lasted 16 years. And my own campaign, which still has a ways to go, will be 13 years old in November. Five to six years is just getting started! :D
Wow, that's amazing. I hope our current campaign goes for a couple more years. We are at about 14 months now.

So you were trolling for crocodiles with your PC as bait then! :D

I'm sure that a lot of people here on EN World haven't even been playing D&D for as long as yours or P'Kitty's campaigns have lasted! That you can both keep groups together for that long is awesome. Congrats! :cool:

Olaf the Stout

Fallen Seraph

First Post
He obviously will be busy when it comes to making the game and such, but do you know if PCat is considering something similar from a DM-perspective be neat to get both angles of the same game.

Neil Bishop

First Post
Dr? Elijah? Caldwell? Logan? Cobalt? Cartwright? Strontium?

I've read Piratecat's story hours before and he puts a hell of a lot of effort into his games... so why did the players choose what appear to be real world/non-fantasy names? For me at least they break the verisimilitude unless, of course, this is consistent with the game world.

(Edit) My sincere apologies. That was an inappropriate way to express an opinion. I've edited the post but, again, I do apologise. I do look forward to reading about the campaign.

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
That actually seems short to me! Piratecat's previous campaign, which just ended, lasted 16 years. And my own campaign, which still has a ways to go, will be 13 years old in November. Five to six years is just getting started! :D

How often do (did) you guys play in those campaigns?

(bookmarked for future awesomeness)

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Dr? Elijah? Caldwell? Logan? Cobalt? Cartwright? Strontium?

I've read Piratecat's story hours before and he puts a hell of a lot of effort into his games... so why did the players choose non-fantasy names that truly suck? They really break the verisimilitude unless, of course, this is consistent with the game world.

"Truly suck?" That's kind of a hostile way to present an opinion, and I also think your opinion is weird. You have a problem with "Caldwell" and "Cartwright?" Caldwell is a surname of Old English origin, meaning literally "cold well," commonly used in the middle ages. "Cartwright" was also common then, being a trade name like "Smith," "Chandler," "Baker" and "Potter." I can't imagine two more fantasy-game-appropriate last names than those. For the record, Cobalt is, literally, the son of a guy who makes carts and carriage wheels. Their distinctive paint color for their carts is cobalt blue, hence the name.

And if you think "Elijah," "Cobalt" and "Logan" aren't fantasy appropriate, well, I guess I'll just say we have very different ideas about names. For the record, Piratecat's NPC names so far include things like Runcible, Caleb, Brangle, Annabel and Nikos, so I don't see how "Cobalt" (colors aren't an unusual source of inspiration for names), "Logan" (Gaelic for "little hollow") and "Elijah" don't fit in with his game world.

Elijah is a doctor from a well-to-do family. He goes on at length about humors and vapours and such, and it's not jarring in the slightest that he's known as a doctor.

Finally, "Strontium" is an alkaline earth metal -- a perfect name that a brilliant cadre of wizards might give to their metallic Warforged creation.

Anyway, if Piratecat was unhappy with our names, I'm sure he'd tell us. He hasn't.

No no no! Good fantasy names must have excessive apostrophes and syllables. Logan? Just jazz it up with some high fantasy flavor into Lyho'agha'Haan. Caldwell? Khalld'whell.

If you can easily pronounce it...it isn't high fantasy enough!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nope, I think the names are great. This campaign is set in a campaign world dominated by a continent-spanning empire. Universities exist, and people who attend them for higher education receive doctorates. In this case, Dr. Caldwell is an intellectual from a well-to-do family who got caught doing something more than a little bit... controversial. Given a choice of being hanged or joining the Grey Guard, he chose the latter. In addition, the advantage of a large empire is that you can have folks from different countries and cultures. You can be sure that naming customs vary based on where you're from.

And yeah, Hyp., I liked the name so much I repurposed it. Very different personalities, though. :D

The campaign premise is that the PCs are members of the Grey Guard, an empire-spanning and politically neutral organization that is dedicated to keeping monsters away from the citizens of the empire. It has a bit in common with GRRM's Night's Watch. It also has a horrible turnover, with most members dying young. It's a good thing that according to legend, monsters are repelled so long as the empire remains strong. And that certainly can't come back to bite anyone, can it?

I haven't started a new campaign in a very long time, and I had forgotten how intimidating it is. Incredible fun, though; new gods, new cartography, new plot. I have a campaign wiki I can share if anyone is curious. The players are the same as the players in my Defenders of Daybreak campaign, although Mara's player hasn't joined the group yet due to some timing issues. We have great chemistry as a gaming group.

I expect that my skill challenges will tend to be implicit instead of explicit. I haven't gotten the hang of explicit skill challenges yet. I make them meaningful, though; in thsi one, the PCs were racing back to their guardtower against a rival team. The total amount by which they made or failed their challenges (modified by a bonus or penalty for good or bad tactics) determined a final score, which I compared to their rivals. In this case, the rivals lost and had to stand watch all night while the PCs slept comfortable. Poor bastards. :)

That being said, the first game went differently than I had expected. the group chose not to pursue my big plot hook for the evening. I expected that might happen and had a backup plan prepared, but I hadn't really expected it. It creates interestingly plotty stuff for the future, at least.

Not next session, though. The PCs are being sent off to a small halfling fishing village where a legendary dog-eating monster has apparently reappeared. The PCs are headed off to help.

Jack, we play my game every other week, and Sagiro's game every other every other week. So about 25 times a year per.

Last edited:

Remove ads