D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Rechan

Adventurer
PCat, did you give the Beholder threatening reach? Otherwise it shouldn't be getting OAs unless folks are adjacent.

Also, the attack is usually at the beginning of an adjacent enemy's turn, not the beginning of the Beholder's turn. I guess you did that for convenience?

Since you guys are going back to fight the same monster again, PCat are you going to spice it up mechanically, or change something, or will it be another slog?

Iceman

First Post
- Toiva's player (Aravis) is probably going to bring in a Sorcerer character to replace her, meaning we'll now have 1 Leader (shaman), 1 Controller (wizard) and FOUR Strikers (rogue, rogue, ranger, sorcerer). We'll be dishing out the damage like never before, and now we'll have a ranged striker to go with our three melee types. Of course, we'll have less healing and temp HP, and no defender, but that will just make things more exciting!
While a character death is never fun, regardless, I am somewhat surprised that a Raise appears out of the question. Component of the campaign or how she died?

Although, I do have to give thumbs up to the choice of sorcerer for a replacement. I've been playing one off-and-on for a year now and am almost to 7th level now. The character (and the class) is a ton of fun.

-VIC

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Alas, that selfless deed was her undoing. The beholder recharged its ability to pull enemies, and finally started rolling well. It lifted her up out of the pit before she could make a swimming getaway and made a quick, blood-sucking end to her while the rest of us fled. We could hear her final scream to her Goddess Aika before it cut off.
So, umm... did you know that forced movement in 4e generally doesn't move creatures vertically?
-blarg

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
So, umm... did you know that forced movement in 4e generally doesn't move creatures vertically?
-blarg
This was an ability it had in lieu of a stun power, so we weren't complaining! ;)

Also, Piratecat described the effect as magic that literally moved your blood, so in some sense Toiva was being lifted up by her veins. Yuck.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
PCat, did you give the Beholder threatening reach? Otherwise it shouldn't be getting OAs unless folks are adjacent.

Also, the attack is usually at the beginning of an adjacent enemy's turn, not the beginning of the Beholder's turn. I guess you did that for convenience?

Since you guys are going back to fight the same monster again, PCat are you going to spice it up mechanically, or change something, or will it be another slog?

1. Yeeeessss. Yesss, I did. (whistles casually)

Actually, there are two parts to this answer. Part 1: threatening reach? What the hell is.. oh. Whoops. Part 2: While I didn't realize that reach is no longer commensurate with size, I pictured it as having threatening reach from the beginning. If I had known, this is what I would have added when I was customizing the monster; I would have added it in exchange for that problematic immediate interrupt that I removed. So I'm fine with my ruling. My DM ignorance aside, threatening reach was part of the monster build no matter how you look at it.

2. (rereads the aura description) No, I screwed up and read it wrong. My fault. I don't think it had any effect game-wise other than concentrating when damage occurs, and that wouldn't have helped Toiva because I missed so many times. I'll be playing the aura correctly next time we play.

3. It wasn't a slog this time! That was one exciting fight. I'm not going to say what will be different, if anything, when the group returns to kick its ass. I will say that I'm not going to change the beholder mechanically (other than playing the aura correctly.)

While a character death is never fun, regardless, I am somewhat surprised that a Raise appears out of the question. Component of the campaign or how she died?
Good question, Vic. A raise dead is definitely an option (with some story complications and consequences) if Aravis feels strongly about it, but I'm not emphasizing that as the best solution.
- Story-wise, life is cheap in the Grey Guard and most people die quickly. It's unusual (but not unheard of) to get raised.
- The Bressail Grey Guard's ritualist is currently hanging upside down from a hook in the beholder's lair. They'd need to find someone else.
- It was a GREAT death. Talk about going out on a high point.
- There are a lot of cool character options out there for the player to try, and I want him to have that option if he wishes it.

-blarg
I do. This was a deliberate exception; the beholder was using its bloodcall power to yank its prey around by the blood in its body. It wouldn't have been able to do this to Stron or Bramble, as they have no blood. I was careful to play this consistently the whole fight.

Aravis

First Post

Although, I do have to give thumbs up to the choice of sorcerer for a replacement. I've been playing one off-and-on for a year now and am almost to 7th level now. The character (and the class) is a ton of fun.

-VIC
At this point, if they recover Toiva's body and I am given the option of being brought back, I am heavily leaning towards no. Don't get me wrong, I love Toiva and will be a little sad that PCat will lose the opportunity to make use of her back story. But, I feel like being brought back will cheapen the sacrifice she made.

As for the next character, I am actually torn over this right now and am heavily studying the options in the Character Builder. Sorcerer is a front runner, but Battle Mind and Barbarian both look cool too.

- Aravis

Rechan

Adventurer
That's a strange word to describe a particularly exciting and memorable combat!
Forget the word "Another". :) You guys seem to have avoided any grindiness.

Even so, you know its tricks, the full layout of the lair, and the PCs have all their big guns. So I'm left to wonder what might offer in some level of surprise/complexity.

Last edited:

Remove ads