Sadly going to be the first of many - estate sales with tons of stuff we nerds love

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Yeah, I should probably have her send my stuff to Wayne. He's a great guy, we chat occasionally, and I buy from him regularly. Just have her bundle everything no one else claims up and ship it to him and accept whatever he offers.
Oh good point. He says on his buying page that he'll accept boxes of games sight unseen and then make an offer. That's what I'll tell my kids.

Although... I assume he's roughly my age. Who's to say he'll still be around when I pass?!?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
About 2 weeks ago I went to an estate sale. Didn't get there fast enough for the D&D and RPG stuff, of which there was a lot, including 3rd printing of the Monster Manual, pristine Boot Hill boxed set, and dozens and dozens of other stuff. But that wasn't the crazy part. The crazy part? There were dozens of bookshelves with I'd guess thousands of books. I think every fantasy and sci-fi book written between 1960 and 1990 was there. I had no idea Andre Norton wrote so much. Every room in the house was lined with bookshelves and books. I wished I could have backed my truck up, but my partner said I couldn't get them because I have too many of my own... :/

These are just a brief few:

View attachment 319677
View attachment 319678
View attachment 319679
View attachment 319680
Wow. Just wow. And sort of in alphabetical order but not 100% (The one that kills me is The Fires of Heaven on the shelf above the rest of the Wheel of Time books. Couldn't the owner have at least switched a couple of books around? That's just aggressive anti-organizing there ;)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Wow. Just wow. And sort of in alphabetical order but not 100% (The one that kills me is The Fires of Heaven on the shelf above the rest of the Wheel of Time books. Couldn't the owner have at least switched a couple of books around? That's just aggressive anti-organizing there ;)
It was a little old lady. So she kinda already broke stereotypes of D&D and fantasy nerds from the 60s and 70s. I wish I met her when she was still alive. I'd have loved to have talked with her.

MGibster

Legend
I've instructed my partner that they should keep what they want, let my friends keep what they want, and pulp the rest because dealing with the second-hand RPG market when you aren't an RPG fan yourself is NOT WORTH THE HASSLE.
This isn't just applicable to RPGs it's applicable to most of the stuff we accumulate through life. Other than a few family heirlooms or items that have a personal significance to your heirs, nobody really wants your stuff. An excessive amount of stuff is actually a burden for your family and is one you can take off their shoulders before you shed this mortal coil.

Maybe time for a PSA that if you think your collection of anything is worth something you need to actively work to unload it during your lifetime if you hope it will yield some value to your heirs. They’ll be lucky to get 1/20th of what you think it’s worth after you’re gone.

dbm

Savage!
I don’t have any children to leave things to, so in my will my RPG stuff has been left to one of my gaming buddies, and my war game stuff has been left to one of my war games buddies. Hopefully that will cover me for the next 20 years or so (we are a very stable group). At some point the wills will undoubtedly get revised as other circumstances change, so it will be looked at again each time.

aco175

Legend
All my comics from the 80s and all my Magic cards from the 90s do not see to be worth large sums of money, especially since I read them or played cards with them and they have some marks on them. I do not expect my other gaming stuff to be worth much since I write in the books the errata and throw them around in a leather bag where the corners get dented.

I expect that like my comics and Magic cards, my son will take what he wants. Hope he does not sit on everything thinking it will fund his retirement. My roleplay things can be donated to the LFGS if he is done with them. I'm guessing they could use the donation and others could find a use for them.

I have found selling books to either Waynes Books or Noble Knight to be quite easy. I send them my list, and they send me an offer. Waynes doesn't pay the shipping, so their price is higher. Noble Knight pays for shipping and will even send me boxes, so their price is lower.
I wish Noble Knight had an outlet here in Europe/Germany. I have started to prune my collection a few years back and while 2nd hand sales via Facebook and eBay are possible, just sending my stuff to an established shop who offers (at least somewhat) fair prices for RPG stuff would be so much easier.

Generally I hope that I still have a few decades before I take a dirt nap, but with no kids to hand my stuff down to (and even if I had kids, it seems rather questionable if they would really be interested in RPG stuff and fantasy/sci-fi novels from the 90s and 00s), I re-assessed a while back and decided that it's probably enough to keep a few select pieces that look nice on the shelves and that spread that fuzzy warm feeling of nostalgia.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
If I'm lucky, my son will want, love, (and maybe even read/play) it all. Fingers crossed.

He's very interested in and reads/rereads the (3e-to-5e) lore books directed at kids, but his busy schedule (school, gymnastics team, choir, orchestra, band, reading, and especially Lego building. Whew!), plus my need to attend to basic household maintenance and the great/immediate needs of his sibling, have thus far kept us from playing.

But there's great hope! This morning while waiting for the bus he was googling Lego Shrek fan builds, then Lego Beholders - and then I passed by, pointed out that the beholder model on the screen had a goldfish, and suggested he google "Xanathar" - and he was off to the wikis and giggling.

I definitely have a nerd on my hands. Hopefully soon a gamer who'll want to adopt my stuff.

Remove ads