• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sage: Mithril and Masterwork Stack

kreynolds

First Post
Re: bleh!

Wolf72 said:
mithral already has a -2 ACP it doesn't need the MW component ... if you do let it stack, be sure to add in the MW cost at least (some armor/weapons in the DMG do not include it)

Absolutely. Besides, a masterwork mithril breastplate takes twice as long to create as just a plain old mithril breastplate, as mithril items already take the same amount of time to create as masterwork items. Makes perfect sense to me to let them stack though, so I'm in agreement with the rules.

Wolf72

Explorer
a MW mithral breast plate takes twice as long???

you mean: mithral breast plate = breastplate+MW

Masterwork mithral breastplate= breastplate+MW+MW ??

[houserule]don't think the rules are all that clear ... and I don't like the sages ruling on this one (nor 1/2 dragons) ...[/houserule]

breastplate=200gp=2,000sp=666 cc [666 cc]

MW (for mithral)=150gp=1,500sp= 500 cc [1,166 cc]

MW (for MW)=150gp=1,500gp =500 cc [1,666 cc]

so at a DC20 you'd have to get enough checks (chks x 20) to get 1,666 (or greater) sp ...

about 50% longer ... I still think what they get is plenty already (then again I've been known as a mean DM too)

[edit: brain hurts ... math no es bueno!]

Last edited:

Cl1mh4224rd

First Post
Wolf72 said:
a MW mithral breast plate takes twice as long???

you mean: mithral breast plate = breastplate+MW

Masterwork mithral breastplate= breastplate+MW+MW ??

yup. check out the dmg, page 243, column 1:

Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are treated as masterwork items with regards to creation times [...]

Wolf72

Explorer
*wolf smacks his head*

kreynolds said:

That about sums it up. :)

I knew (read: I hoped, but completely missed the entry in the DMG) that it wasn't based off of the actual market price ...

wait a sec ... I KNEW THAT! ... I need to start playing again, soon, ... I'm starting to forget stuff :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads