• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sailors on the Starless Sea

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Homar picks up the coins, shows the others and says, "I think we are on the right track. I see lots of beast tracks, but one setof human tracks. the feet include taloned and hooves. Just look, there are hundreds marching after the one human.l We must stop this, or our village may suffer" It is faint, but there is still a bit of bravado in his voice.

doghead

thotd
Narančasta and Siva

"Right then. Lets get moving."

Narančasta sets out along the human tracks in the direction of the menhir.

"Keep your wits about you."

Siva, with a shrug, follows.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Closer examination of the tracks made by the human feet show that it isn't just one set of human tracks. Several in a line, overlapping at times, as if they were herded together. The tracks pass along the side of the menhir and disappear into the water; hopefully where they boarded the dragon-prowed boat.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"It's beginning to look more and more as if we are going to have to make an attempt on the boat," Kurl says grimly without a trace of his usual sarcasm.

Boral talks next, "Does anyone have some long rope? We can tie it to the waist of someone, and they can swim to the ship and tie the rope to the prow for us to pull in."

Tender answers, "We still haven't gone up the steps of the menhir. I'll volunteer to go up and look for clues, but not without another stout arm to watch my back."

doghead

thotd
Narančasta

"It's beginning to look more and more as if we are going to have to make an attempt on the boat," Kurl says grimly without a trace of his usual sarcasm.

Boral talks next, "Does anyone have some long rope? We can tie it to the waist of someone, and they can swim to the ship and tie the rope to the prow for us to pull in."

"Here," says Narančasta, handing over 50 feet of rope. "But wait until we have checked out what is atop the stone."

Tender answers, "We still haven't gone up the steps of the menhir. I'll volunteer to go up and look for clues, but not without another stout arm to watch my back."

Narančasta turns to Tender.

"I'll come with you."

GlassEye

Adventurer
The stone steps carved into the menhir are narrow and the swirls etched into every surface cause a disorienting dizziness. A slight unfocusing of the eyes allows Tender and Narančasta to avert the disorientation and climb the steps without toppling off the side. The top of the menhir has been fashioned into a platform. A shallow bowl has been cut into the center of the platform. The bowl is partially filled with hardened wax, and a stub of a red candle sits atop the mounds of wax.

doghead

thotd
Narančasta

Narančasta inspects the platform and bowl as best he can. Its hard to do when trying to remain unfocused. Eventually he gives it away, leaving it to Tender.

Instead he turns his attention outward, hoping that their new perspective might reveal something new.

Otherwise it looks like they are going to have to start on finding a way out to the boat.

Its not a prospect that appeals very much.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Tender says, "Ok, this has me completely dumbfounded. Any ideas?"

"Perhaps lighting the candle will bring the boat closer to shore, as it may have a sort of enchantment associated with it," Boral suggests.

"Or maybe it summons something we can't handle. Or signals the other shore. Or does nothing at all," Kurl says bitterly as he and Boral try to fathom the purpose of the candle.

doghead

thotd
Narančasta

Narančasta glances over at Boral.

"Its a good thought.

"Kurl is right;, we don't know what it does.

"But we are going to have to face whatever is down here at some point or another. I suggest that we light it and see.

"Perhaps four up here, and the rest down below. One of you," he says to Kurl, "should be up here. You or Siva."

GlassEye

Adventurer
With Narančasta's defensive preparations put into place the red candle is lit. It flickers brightly in the dim light and it seems that nothing will happen when there is an answering flicker from the eyes of the dragon-prowed ship. Surely it was just your imagination. A moment later the ship turns and glides towards the shore causing barely a ripple in the water. It stops just a few feet offshore. A short wade and an easy climb and the ship can be boarded.

Remove ads