log in or register to remove this ad

 

D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?


log in or register to remove this ad

"Alvin Rosyfingers, as I live."

Close enough.

As you sign the contract (you take 1 point of damage) the Devils sigil also appears on it as well, and it suddenly disappears in a puff of smoke.

I'll be watching says the Devil, a smile playing over his horrific fanged maw. The path to what you seek lies that way (he motions to the light on the mountain, several kilometers away across the cold black swampy waters).

He hands one of the Zombies the vial, and they shamble towards you and hand it over.

You are free to go.
 

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Close enough.

As you sign the contract (you take 1 point of damage) the Devils sigil also appears on it as well, and it suddenly disappears in a puff of smoke.

I'll be watching says the Devil, a smile playing over his horrific fanged maw. The path to what you seek lies that way (he motions to the light on the mountain, several kilometers away across the cold black swampy waters).

He hands one of the Zombies the vial, and they shamble towards you and hand it over.

You are free to go.

The Zombie hands the potion over to Alvin (certainly makes the most sense)?

Ok, so I presume we start heading toward the light on the mountain?

Thoughts?
 





@Flamestrike, I think that's everyone. @Kobold Stew replaced Seramus - right?

Sorry, was thinking of @Asisreo my bad.

That's everyone then.

Ok without further ado, your party shakes into formation and starts trudging through the swamps towards the light you can see halfway up a large mountain a few kilometers away.

The ground is very boggy and swampy; the ground saturated by the River Styx that travels through this plane. Occasionally your party traverses higher ground, where you can see the river to your right, also few kilometers away, through the gloom; the swamp otherwise covers everything around you in sight.

After 30 minutes or so of walking, you all come to a clearing where you encounter a strange sight. A puddle of noxious green ichor, surrounded by blue feathers sits on a patch of drier ground. Around the ichor, numerous large footprints can be seen.

What do you do?
 

Mort

Legend
Supporter
1. Would it be a big detour to go around the clearing?

2. Can Bartholomew identify the footprints, the feathers and /or the green ichor from out current distance?
 

1. Would it be a big detour to go around the clearing?
No. The clearing is pretty small (not more than 100' across) and the ground around it is boggy, but nothing worse than what you've all been trudging through already,
2. Can Bartholomew identify the footprints, the feathers and /or the green ichor from out current distance?

Nature to ID the the footprints, and Arcana for the feathers/ ichor, at disadvantage from this distance (you guys are on the edge of the clearing, so theyre both around 50' away).
 

Mort

Legend
Supporter
No. The clearing is pretty small (not more than 100' across) and the ground around it is boggy, but nothing worse than what you've all been trudging through already,
Ok, probably best to avoid it then. Though this is likely a preview of what's about to show up rather than the challenge itself!

Nature to ID the the footprints, and Arcana for the feathers/ ichor, at disadvantage from this distance (you guys are on the edge of the clearing, so theyre both around 50' away).

I'll wait to assist someone better trained than me, rather than embarrass myself! (to counter the disadvantage).
 

Asisreo

Fiendish Attorney
Sorry, was thinking of @Asisreo my bad.

That's everyone then.

Ok without further ado, your party shakes into formation and starts trudging through the swamps towards the light you can see halfway up a large mountain a few kilometers away.

The ground is very boggy and swampy; the ground saturated by the River Styx that travels through this plane. Occasionally your party traverses higher ground, where you can see the river to your right, also few kilometers away, through the gloom; the swamp otherwise covers everything around you in sight.

After 30 minutes or so of walking, you all come to a clearing where you encounter a strange sight. A puddle of noxious green ichor, surrounded by blue feathers sits on a patch of drier ground. Around the ichor, numerous large footprints can be seen.

What do you do?
I actually want to approach just a bit closer and cast detect magic to check for any magic.
 

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Alvin offers guidance (+1d4) to anyone offering opinions on what kind of thing this is.

"Might as well circle the perimeter, just inside the treeline?"
 

Two PCs (Cleric and Bard) are helping someone else, but no-one else is doing anything other than the Sorcerer... and shes not doing anything other than casting Detect Magic!

The Sorcerer steps forward. No magic is detected.

Rogue and Fighter? Are two going to do anything here?
 

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Ok,

To speed things along and since no one stepping on the footprints or the ichor.

Bartholomew will take guidance on both skills (we're in a hurry but not THAT MUCH of a hurry).

So

Nature on the footprints [7, 8] +2 +1 = 10

Arcana on the feathers/ichor [16, 5]+2 +4 = 11

So likely bust on both,
 

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I'm not trained in either Nature or Arcana (or Survival), so I can't use Reliable Talent. My bonuses are +1 to +2 on those skills.

I can try the checks if you want, but I suspect the Bard has better bonuses due to Jack of All Trades.
 

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I'm not trained in either Nature or Arcana (or Survival), so I can't use Reliable Talent. My bonuses are +1 to +2 on those skills.

I can try the checks if you want, but I suspect the Bard has better bonuses due to Jack of All Trades.

Default is you have to be trained to assist someone, but I believe with Jack of All Trades I can assist you in the skill. A +1 or +2 with advantage (or no disadvantage) is certainly better than my +2 with disadvantage!

So if still possible and you want to give Nature and Arcana a shot - I'll assist.
 

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Fine, just to keep things moving, I'll post the numbers and let the GM decide whether the assist applies or whether I can even roll at all, being untrained.

Nature: 9+2 = 11 OR 20+2 = 22

Arcana: 19+2 = 21 OR 15+2 = 17
 

I'm not trained in either Nature or Arcana (or Survival), so I can't use Reliable Talent. My bonuses are +1 to +2 on those skills.

I can try the checks if you want, but I suspect the Bard has better bonuses due to Jack of All Trades.

Mate, dont think about it in terms of skills. You could advance and investigate the scene for example. That's a skill you do have.

All im asking for is you to tell me what your PC is doing. I'll then call for a skill check if required. You narrate your PCs actions, I'll ask for skill checks if necessary.

Im only mentioning this because yourself and the Fighter are non participants out of combat largely (you guys largely keep quiet when combat isnt happening); I ordinarily wouldnt care, but that is kind of the purpose of the experiment remember.

This goes for the Fighter as well, who not only has barely interacted with any NPCs so far, he also hasnt really told me what his PC is doing other than 'shoot the bad guy.'

Again, this isnt a criticism. It's just me trying to nudge you two into interacting with the environment and so forth a bit more.
 

Fine, just to keep things moving, I'll post the numbers and let the GM decide whether the assist applies or whether I can even roll at all, being untrained.

Nature: 9+2 = 11 OR 20+2 = 22

Arcana: 19+2 = 21 OR 15+2 = 17

Can I ask, is there any reason why you're sitting back 50' away and taking disadvantage instead of walking forward to examine the scene?

Literally the only dude that has advanced so far has been the Sorcerer, and that was only so she could get in range of Detect Magic!
 

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top