D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Mate, dont think about it in terms of skills. You could advance and investigate the scene for example. That's a skill you do have.

All im asking for is you to tell me what your PC is doing. I'll then call for a skill check if required. You narrate your PCs actions, I'll ask for skill checks if necessary.

Im only mentioning this because yourself and the Fighter are non participants out of combat largely (you guys largely keep quiet when combat isnt happening); I ordinarily wouldnt care, but that is kind of the purpose of the experiment remember.

This goes for the Fighter as well, who not only has barely interacted with any NPCs so far, he also hasnt really told me what his PC is doing other than 'shoot the bad guy.'

Again, this isnt a criticism. It's just me trying to nudge you two into interacting with the environment and so forth a bit more.

Cool!

Bartholomew's opinion here is that this is a curiosity that should not be interacted with if possible. Approaching to investigate is likely to draw unwanted attention to us which is a distraction from our goal. That's why I tried to gauge the scene at a distance.

Since the Sorcerer has already gotten closer, there isn't that much reason for us to hang back at this point. So, if anyone else wants to move closer to investigate, I'll follow their lead. Though, again, not sure that this is relevant to our goal!

Cool!

Bartholomew's opinion here is that this is a curiosity that should not be interacted with if possible. Approaching to investigate is likely to draw unwanted attention to us which is a distraction from our goal. That's why I tried to gauge the scene at a distance.

Since the Sorcerer has already gotten closer, there isn't that much reason for us to hang back at this point. So, if anyone else wants to move closer to investigate, I'll follow their lead. Though, again, not sure that this is relevant to our goal!

Awesome mate!

Yeah, Im not being critical, but its been 2 days since I posted the above scene, and I havent heard from the Fighter, and most other PCs (other than the Sorcerer) are just following your lead.

Guess Im just saying I'd like Players to simply post what their PCs are doing in response to my descriptions of the scene.

Yourself and the Sorcerer are largely leading the action, and the others seem to be largely following your lead.

This is more for the purposes of the experiment. I'd like to see the other players tell me what their PCs are doing more often!

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Can I ask, is there any reason why you're sitting back 50' away and taking disadvantage instead of walking forward to examine the scene?
Look, I didn't want to be the one to make the checks at all. I just got sort of pushed into it because nobody else wanted to do it.

But the people who were offering to aid in a check didn't describe walking forward. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to me for the character making the check to be 50 feet away from the person who is aiding. We should either both be 50 feet away or we should both walk forward and examine more closely. If the people doing the aiding are willing to walk closer, then I'll go too.

Last edited:

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
Been a bit busy these past few days.

I'll walk next to the liquid and take out one of the glass beakers from my alchemist's supplies, trying to put a bit of the liquid inside them without touching the thing. If it works, set up the supplies some 15 feet away and try to use them to identify the ichor and see if it can do anything useful.

Been a bit busy these past few days.

I'll walk next to the liquid and take out one of the glass beakers from my alchemist's supplies, trying to put a bit of the liquid inside them without touching the thing. If it works, set up the supplies some 15 feet away and try to use them to identify the ichor and see if it can do anything useful.

You can make me an Int (Alchemy kit) check.

Look, I didn't want to be the one to make the checks at all. I just got sort of pushed into it because nobody else wanted to do it.

But the people who were offering to aid in a check didn't describe walking forward. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to me for the character making the check to be 50 feet away from the person who is aiding. We should either both be 50 feet away or we should both walk forward and examine more closely. If the people doing the aiding are willing to walk closer, then I'll go too.

Yeah that's OK; I'm just asking you guys to simply narrate what you're doing - I'll call for any checks that might result from that narration.

At the moment we have the Rogue and Cleric hanging back 50' away, the Sorcerer 20' in front of that assessing the scene with Detect Magic, and the Fighter and the Bard (who said he would follow the Fighter) up at the ichor taking samples.

Bard - seeing as you're up close now, is there anything you want to do once you're at the site?

Your previous checks (with disadvantage) revealed nothing.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
At the moment we have the Rogue and Cleric hanging back 50' away, the Sorcerer 20' in front of that assessing the scene with Detect Magic, and the Fighter and the Bard (who said he would follow the Fighter) up at the ichor taking samples.

Bard - seeing as you're up close now, is there anything you want to do once you're at the site?

Your previous checks (with disadvantage) revealed nothing.
I'll assist the fighter with his research.

I'll also survey the area (now that I'm closer) to see if I can spot anything lurking or coming toward us.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Ellina pokes Alvin. "C'mon, let's see if Asa's finding anything," she says. Without waiting to see if the cleric is following, she runs up to where Asa and Bartholomew are bending over their alchemical equipment.

Remove ads