D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?

The Devils eyes light up as the Paladin offers to sell his soul, damming him to an eternity of service to Evil.

Does anyone wish to say anything at this point?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
The Devils eyes light up as the Paladin offers to sell his soul, damming him to an eternity of service to Evil.

Does anyone wish to say anything at this point?
I'm going to cast Message on our Paladin and say "Are you sure you want to trust this hellspawn?"
You think he knew you were casting before. Furthermore you've also seen his eyes linger on your staff and several of the other PCs magic items.
Galvich, aloud, says "I see you've taken a notice of the great Dragonstaff that I inherited. It allows me to cast spells with it. Its such a good focus that it allows me to cast certain spells without having to use the essential magical components. Spells like Planeshift, Protection from Good and Evil, and Dispel Magic. It needs charging to maintain, though.

A powerful being such as yourself is sure to have great innate spellcasting power. If you could, say, cast a spell targetting me, I could use that to recharge some of the power. It's a good deal for you since increasing my power in such a minuscule effort greatly increases the chance that we all are free from this horrid place."

(I don't have their statblock or anything, but I want to know of see if they can cast any at-will leveled spells. That, or they have spells they probably wouldn't be able to practically use a few times per day like Geas or Scrying).

Galvich, aloud, says "I see you've taken a notice of the great Dragonstaff that I inherited. It allows me to cast spells with it. Its such a good focus that it allows me to cast certain spells without having to use the essential magical components. Spells like Planeshift, Protection from Good and Evil, and Dispel Magic. It needs charging to maintain, though.

A powerful being such as yourself is sure to have great innate spellcasting power. If you could, say, cast a spell targetting me, I could use that to recharge some of the power. It's a good deal for you since increasing my power in such a minuscule effort greatly increases the chance that we all are free from this horrid place."
Why would I do such a thing? the Devil sneers.

However it certainly is something within the power of one who commands me to order me to perform (his eyes linger on the Paladin, lustfully).

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Why would I do such a thing? the Devil sneers.

However it certainly is something within the power of one who commands me to order me to perform (his eyes linger on the Paladin, lustfully).
Galvich rolls her eyes. Its very clear on her face she thinks this is a bad idea.

"Are we sure we need him as an ally that badly? Surely, we can grab a mere object without entertaining a wicked creature."

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Galvich rolls her eyes. Its very clear on her face she thinks this is a bad idea.

"Are we sure we need him as an ally that badly? Surely, we can grab a mere object without entertaining a wicked creature."

Yes, certainly a development!

Bartholomew's thoughts :

I was willing to bargain with the devil even possibly free him to help achieve our purpose but the loss of a soul seems unnecessary.

Still if Alvin is guided by his God to do so, I can't exactly stand in the way. I will not interfere, though I do not think it's a good idea - and I urge careful consideration of this bargain as opposed to the first one which, while repulsive, does not directly damn anyone.

Alvin looks almost sad about this turn of events, and he turns to regard his friends.

"I loathe the idea of being in his grasp at all, but I... my god said I should deal with the devil. What if the danger we face is greater than we can handle, or even in his treachery he plays some pivotal role? I have faith in myself, and the rest of you, but what kind of example would I be setting if we lose everything because I wanted to save my soul?"

He leans in a little closer now, and whispers in the hopes he won't be overheard. "And if it comes to that, I will hold out against their influence for as long as I can. Perhaps you could beseech the gods themselves for clemency, given the reason?" This last bit seems a little too hopeful.

And then he turns back to face the devil, his resolution hardening "Do you agree?"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Alvin Rosyfingers (revised).

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 2.35.35 PM.png

NG Half-elf Paladin of Redemption 6/Cleric of Life 9 Charlatan
Level 5: AC 20, Init -1 HP 131 (115+16 heroes' feast)
Scimitar of Speed: 1d20+11 for 1d6+8 magical slashing (2 attacks, 3 with bonus) [+smite, blessed strike]
Peace, Innocence, Patience, Wisdom (deity: Lathander)

NG Half-elf Paladin of Redemption 6/Cleric of Life 9
Abilities:
STR 13 (+1) [with Gauntlets: 19 (+4)] (save: +6 [with Gauntlets +9])
DEX 9 (-1) (save +4)
CON 15 (+2) (save: +12) [feat]
INT 10 (0) (save +5)
WIS 14 (+2) (save: +12)
CHA 20 (+5) (save: +15)

Size M
Speed 30
AC 20 (plate and shield)
Init -1
Hit Points: 115 (6d10+9d8) [+30 (con)]

Proficiency bonus: +5
Proficiencies: all armor, shields, simple and martial weapons
Skills: background (Deception, Sleight of Hand), halfelf (Persuasion, Perception), paladin (Insight, Medicine), feat (Athletics (expertise))
Tools: Disguise Kit, Forgery Kit
Languages: Common, Elf, Primordial

Attacks: Scimitar: 1d20+9 for 1d6+6 slashing (2 attacks) -- excluding magic, including fighting style
Javelin: 1d20+9 for 1d6+4 piercing (30/120)

Background: Charlatan
  • feature: False Identity (commoner, volunteer laborer "Gaston La Pierre"). I have a second identity and can forge documents including official papers and personal letters.
Paladin abilities (Redemption oath):
  • Divine Sense: action to know the location of celestial, fiend or undead (or anyting consecrated or desecrated) w/in 60' not behind total cover, until the end of my next turn. 6x/long rest [1+CHA].
  • Lay on Hands: action to touch and restore up to 30 hp [5xlevel] per long rest. 5hp~disease or poison.
  • Fighting Style: duelling (+2 damage with melee weap in 1 hand).
  • Spellcasting (CHA: save DC 18, attack mod +10) [holy symbol as focus]
    • 8 spells prepared, plus oath spells (sanctuary, sleep, calm emotions, hold person)
    • spells can be changed after long rest
  • Divine Smite expend spell slot for +2d8 radiant on a hit (+1d8/level above level 1 slot), +1d8 vs undead or fiend.
  • Divine Health: immune to disease
  • Extra attack (2 attacks when using attack option)
  • Aura of Protection: +5 [CHA] to all saves w/in 10' radius, while conscious
Cleric abilities (Life domain):
  • Spellcasting (WIS: save DC 15, attack mod +7) [holy symbol as focus]
    • 4 cantrips: Guidance, Light, Mending, Thaumaturgy
    • 11 spells prepared, plus domain spells (bless, cure wounds, lesser restoration, spiritual weapon, beacon of hope, revivify, death ward, guardian of faith, mass cure wounds, raise dead)
    • spells can be changed after long rest
    • ritual casting
  • Destroy undead: CR 1 or lower destroyed if turned.
  • Disciple of life: whenever spell of level 1+ restores hit points, they restore an additional 2+spell level.
  • Blessed healer: whenever spell of level 1+ restores hit points to another, I restore 2+spell level.
  • Blessed Strike (TCoE): 1/turn weapon attack or cantrip does +1d8 radiant.
Channel Divinity (Cleric and Paladin):
  • Channel Divinity (2/short or long):
    • Turn undead: action to force undead w/in 30' to make Wis save, or be turned for 1 min or it takes damage.
    • Preserve Life: action to restore 45 points (5 x level) within 30', up to half total.
    • Emissary of Peace: bonus for +5 to Persuasion for 10 minutes.
    • Rebuke the Violent: when attacker w/in 30' damages another, use reaction to make them make Wis save for the same radiant damage (save for half)
Feat abilities:
  • Level 4 paladin: Resiliant (con to 15, and proficiency)
  • Level 4 cleric: ASI (cha to 19)
  • Level 8 cleric: Skill expert (cha to 20, Athletics expertise)

Race abilities:
  • Darkvision 60'
  • Fey ancestry: advantage on saves vs. charm, no magical sleep

Skills:
-1 (dex) Acrobatics
+2 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
+14 (str) Athletics (expertise)
+10 (cha) Deception

+0 (int) History
+7 (wis) Insight
+5 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+7 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+7 (wis) Perception
+5 (cha) Performance
+10 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+4 (dex) Sleight of Hand
-1 (dex) Stealth
+2 (wis) Survival

Characteristics:
Personality: (post 360) Alvin always spares the lives of those he fights.
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw: (post 558) deal with the devil

Inherited form: of Alvin.
Equipment
Magic Items:
  • Gauntlets of Ogre Power (attuned)
  • Bag of Holding
  • Ring of Telekinesis (attuned)
  • Scimitar of Speed (attuned) -- tied to belt with silk rope
Other items:
  • warhorse (stabled during the party; not present)
  • plate mail, shield
  • holy symbol painted on shield
  • backpack
Backpack:
  • Alms box, vestments, candle, incense, censor
  • tinderbox
  • waterskin
  • 21 javelins (!!)
  • common clothes
  • crowbar
  • 50' silk rope
  • 1 day rations
  • 15gp
  • gold coin with two heads
  • bag of holding
In Bag of holding:
  • 500 lbs of purified water

Current status:
HP 131/131 +3 THP (+16 max with heroes' feast; immune to poison and fear, adv. on Wis saves, for 24 hrs)
All hit dice used
Channel Divinity (2) XX [Harness Divine Power (3): XX]
Death Ward cast on self and Galvich.
Aura: +5 to all saves for those w/in 10' radius
Spell slots:
Level 1 (4)
Level 2 (3) X
Level 3 (3) XX
Level 4 (3) XX
Level 5 (2)
Level 6 (1)

Spells chosen:
Paladin:
  • level 1 sanctuary, sleep; detect magic, detect poison and disease, protection from evil and good, purify food and drink, thundrous smite, compelled duel
  • level 2 calm emotions, hold person; find steed, prayer of healing
Cleric:
  • cantrip: Guidance, Light, Mending, Thaumaturgy
  • level 1: bless, cure wounds; create or destroy water, heroism,
  • level 2: lesser restoration, spiritual weapon; aid, augury, warding bond
  • level 3: beacon of hope, revivify; aura of vitality, sending, spirit shroud
  • level 4: death ward, guardian of faith; divination
  • level 5: mass cure wounds, raise dead; commune, greater restoration
Magic: telekinesis (at will, DC 18).

Last edited:

** confirm he is (currently...) NG alignment?
** have hit points been rolled? avg would be 10+(5x6)+(9x5)+30=115 I think.
** Blessed Strike (source?) seems to replace Divine Strike, I presume since Divine strike not available to previous domain. I don't see any practical difference, since no attack cantrips were chosen (?!)
** ring of telekinesis uses what skill as a casting stat? (spell says "your casting stat" but with a magic item is it the best of the two?)
** has second identity been determined?
** spells still to be transferred over.
** I am presuming the Holy symbol is painted on the shield, but it's not clear. He will want a second (non-shield) one eventually if possible
** does he have his warhorse (with saddle? barding? stabled back home?)
Yep, NG!
115 HP. The rest is from Hero's Feast.
Blessed Strikes is from Tashas.
Ring of TK used charisma the one time it came up.
Secondary Identity was a commoner who wanders the poor parts of town helping out with labor. Not really relevant to the adventure.
Holy Symbol on shield.
Warhorse was stabled during the party and left behind.

SCAG - High Elf Cantrip (Shape Water) instead of Skill Versatility.
Bag of Holding - 500lbs of Purified Water.
Scimitar of Speed is tied to my belt by silk rope.
Gold coin with heads on both sides.

Last edited:

Remove ads