D&D 5E Sandy Peterson's Cthulhu Mythos for 5E ??

VorpalBunny

Explorer
According to the Kickstarter FAQ there's no plans...

We've talked about the possibility of doing a 5e book in the future, but have no plans for such. The success of this Kickstarter will determine other Role-Playing Game products in the future from Petersen Games.

On 4/14/17 I emailed Sandy he replied-

Sandy Petersen says:
No update yet, it is in the back of our mind.

So I wouldn't give up hope but there probably would not be any news until after the PF book ships. I would think it made too much money not to try at some point.

I like 5e very much but I don't think D&D it is suitable for EVERYTHING.

Call of Cthulhu / Cthulhu Mythos are their own thing so why try to make it fit into 5e? Is it a business strategy to get a share of the 5e success?

I would feel much more excited if WotC would revamp Masque of the Red Death!!!

CapnZapp

Legend
Well, there's a d20 Call of Cthulhu, so...

In some respects, it's interesting. It's using the 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules, so it provides plenty of insight into how to go about a Cthuluoid game with D&D rules.

In my mind, the biggest flaw was something they really couldn't work around: levels. D&D has levels. This means you can't create the game's best Anthropology professor without him or her also inexplicably be really really good at combat (if not actual offense, then at least defense - with that many hit points, you're bullet-proof)

To explain this in 5e terms, you can't have a +6 proficiency bonus without also having twenty Hit Dice. And the skill level difference between a 1st level character and a 20th level one was MUCH larger in 3rd edition.

Having Lovecraftian spells was kind of nifty though. Even if the game, being D&D, completely missed the point and made them much more into useful tools for heroes rather than the implements of self-insanity they're meant to be... 😊

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

Call of Cthulhu / Cthulhu Mythos are their own thing so why try to make it fit into 5e? Is it a business strategy to get a share of the 5e success?

Well, the Mythos & D&D have mixed since the 1e Deities & Demigods.

dave2008

Legend
Well, there's a d20 Call of Cthulhu, so...

In some respects, it's interesting. It's using the 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules, so it provides plenty of insight into how to go about a Cthuluoid game with D&D rules.

In my mind, the biggest flaw was something they really couldn't work around: levels. D&D has levels. This means you can't create the game's best Anthropology professor without him or her also inexplicably be really really good at combat (if not actual offense, then at least defense - with that many hit points, you're bullet-proof)

To explain this in 5e terms, you can't have a +6 proficiency bonus without also having twenty Hit Dice. And the skill level difference between a 1st level character and a 20th level one was MUCH larger in 3rd edition.

Having Lovecraftian spells was kind of nifty though. Even if the game, being D&D, completely missed the point and made them much more into useful tools for heroes rather than the implements of self-insanity they're meant to be... ��

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Interesting, what if you simply removed HP accumulation from leveling? You would still gain more proficiency and HD, but you never gain any more hit points after say 3rd level. Would that help make it a CoC feel? You could mess with the rest, recovery, dying, and insanity rules to get you the rest of the way there?

It would not be D&D, but it would be something similar to CoC I would think.

EDIT: I realized I forgot the "not" in the sentence above

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
Interesting, what if you simply removed HP accumulation from leveling? You would still gain more proficiency and HD, but you never gain any more hit points after say 3rd level. Would that help make it a CoC feel? You could mess with the rest, recovery, dying, and insanity rules to get you the rest of the way there?

It would be D&D, but it would be something similar to CoC I would think.

What the game needed, imo, was separate tracks for combat and academic prowess.

Since it devolved into my hate object, generic classes*, I never bothered.
*) If I'm going to play this game, I am going to have classes and niche protection gadnabbit!

I'm mostly interested in it for the lore of the Cthulhu Mythos as can be explained through the PF/D&D paradigm.

Also, I'm currently reading a collection of Lovecraft's writings, so being able to look up the PF/D&D stats for any Mythos beings that are mentioned would be fun.

I'll be getting the Pathfinder version, if they make it available in PDF. No question about that as I really want to read it. And, I can work from that to do homebrewed conversions to 5E, if necessary. But, I would like to see it in a 5E format, too, with the conversion work already done.

I think some of D&D's history has the Cthulhu Mythos baked into the background assumptions of most game worlds. While the characters in a D&D or PF world are more powerful than regular earthlings, to me that isn't a problem. I think D&D/PF characters in general become too powerful once they level up so far, regardless of whether or not Petersen's Cthulhu was translated into 5E.

So, I am hoping that they do release a 5E version, but I'll be happy with the PF version, if they do not.

Remove ads